Brewer Fanatic

Interest in Brewer outfielders;Brewers interest in pitching

dpapo

Adam McCalvy's latest from the Winter meetings. Along with writing about talks with the O's, also has tibits about Turnbow, Finley, Lofton, Miller and Graffanino.

Brewers meet with Orioles on Day 1

Milwaukee GM Melvin may use outfield surplus to advantage

By Adam McCalvy / MLB.com

LAKE BUENA VISTA, Fla. -- The Brewers' contingent met on Monday with officials from the Baltimore Orioles and one other club regarding Milwaukee's stable of corner outfielders, but it was a mostly quiet Day 1 of baseball's Winter Meetings.

Brewers general manager Doug Melvin said that he had two face-to-face meetings at The Dolphin Hotel and discussed options with "a bunch" of other clubs on the phone. Much of the talk centered on outfielders Geoff Jenkins and Kevin Mench, but the Boston Red Sox were among a handful of clubs that inquired on the availability of deposed Brewers closer Derrick Turnbow.

"The clubs we're talking to don't ask about our pitching for the most part," Melvin said. "They know that our outfield is where our depth is. That's our strength. Maybe they'll ask about a reliever, but they know we're not going to trade [Chris] Capuano or [Dave] Bush."

The Orioles and Brewers have been paired in trade rumors for some time. A number of reports out of Baltimore over the last month said that the two teams had discussed a Mench-for-Rodrigo Lopez swap, a move that would give the Brewers another experienced right-hander in the starting rotation. Milwaukee currently has Ben Sheets, Capuano, Bush and Claudio Vargas in the starting mix, and young right-hander Carlos Villanueva is considered the front-runner for the No. 5 spot.

Lopez has been the Orioles' Opening Day starter in three of the past four seasons. It's believed that the Orioles are also considering offers for veteran right-hander Jaret Wright.

"Primarily, most of the teams that we spoke with today were conversations regarding Rodrigo -- expressing interest in him," said Orioles vice president of baseball operations Jim Duquette.

Said Melvin: "We talked about names, but I can't say it's anything interesting at this point. I don't want to get into specifics, but the clubs we met with today were looking at outfielders. A lot of the free agents are still holding that up."

The marquee free agent outfielders, a list topped by Carlos Lee and Alfonso Soriano, have already signed, but mid-level players like Luis Gonzalez, Cliff Floyd, Trot Nixon, Kenny Lofton, Steve Finley and Jay Payton are all available. Baltimore has reportedly extended an offer to Gonzalez.

Melvin said that the interest from other clubs in Jenkins and Mench was split about 50-50. Both players are coming off down years; Jenkins was benched in August and suffered the longest power drought of his career before a strong finish, and Mench struggled after a midseason trade from Texas to Milwaukee. Jenkins is due $7 million in 2007, and his contract calls for a $9 million club option for 2008. Most of the calls on Mench, who is arbitration-eligible, have come from American League teams, but Melvin said that some National League teams are also in the mix.

"People might be surprised in the interest in [Mench] from other clubs," Melvin said.

In return, the Brewers are seeking pitching, preferably starters. Meanwhile, the Brewers themselves continued Monday mulling Finley and Lofton as options for center field.

"I don't think we're going that road, but we have the right to change our minds later," Melvin said. "If you could put the two of them together, it would be nice. That's the problem; Finley is a good defensive guy, but his offense has gone the other way. Kenny is the other way around -- he fits the mold of a top-of-the-order guy, but he struggles defensively."

Other notes from The Dolphin:

-- Boston has cast a wide net in its search for a closer, and inquired Monday on Turnbow. A midseason All-Star, Turnbow lost the job in the second half to Francisco Cordero, who will be back as Brewers closer in 2007. Turnbow seemed to struggle with confidence and fastball command, but he threw in the 96-98 mph range all year with a sharp slider.

"I'm not motivated to move him," Melvin said.

Turnbow, who turns 29 in January, has two years remaining on the three-year contract he signed last winter which will pay him $2.3 million in 2007 and $3.2 million in 2008.

-- Melvin is also not motivated to move veteran catcher Damian Miller, who was bumped to a reserve role when the team dealt Doug Davis, Dana Eveland and David Krynzel to Arizona for catcher Johnny Estrada and pitchers Vargas and Greg Aquino.

Miller told the Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel after the trade that he would be surprised if the team kept a $2.25 million backup catcher. But that seems to be exactly Melvin's plan.

"Right now, we think it's better to have the depth," Melvin said.

-- Dan Lozano, who represents free agent infielder Tony Graffanino, is not expected to respond to the Brewers' offer of salary arbitration until Thursday's deadline. But according to Melvin, Graffanino phoned recently expressing disappointment that the Brewers shifted course last week and signed veteran Craig Counsell.

"I think he's disappointed, but that's the way the system is," Melvin said. "A club like ours, if the system allows us to do certain things, then we have to look at it and take advantage of it. We're not disappointed -- we either get the draft picks or we get a nice player back."

If Graffanino declines arbitration and signs with another club, the Brewers will get extra draft picks next year. If he accepts, Graffanino will be considered signed for 2007 and Melvin and manager Ned Yost will have to find enough playing time for both he and Counsell. Together, Graffanino and Counsell would earn more than the Brewers' four starting infielders combined.

-- Melvin confirmed that the Mets inquired last week about Sheets and were told he's not available

milwaukee.brewers.mlb.com...p&c_id=mil

I wonder if Turnbow's agent already called him and has set up some home showings? Yeah I'm not motivated is about as plain a Melvin speak gets. Translation: I'm content to keep him, but I find your offer intriguing and I can tell you'll give me what I want to finish the deal.

wow, Mench for Lieber? Jon Lieber would be huge. He's an extreme groundball pitcher, an innings-eater, etc. I've liked him longer than Bensen. To think, I thought it might be Mench for Lopez, but I'd consider Benson to be better than Lopez, and Lieber to be even better.

Lopez sounds good... i really wish we had a place for Mench, though. This guy just really had a tough time here and don't forget he was adjusting to NL pitching for the first time... late in the season as well. He doesn't make that much and he's younger than Jenkins, but then again everyone loves Jenkins.. so what do you do.. trade em both i guess...

The way DM's talking, these guys will all be gone.. but i don't think that's actually realistic. Maybe 3 of em. My guess would be Jenkins and Bow. Whatever the case, it's going to be a good return.

Quote:
wow, Mench for Lieber? Jon Lieber would be huge. He's an extreme groundball pitcher, an innings-eater, etc. I've liked him longer than Bensen. To think, I thought it might be Mench for Lopez, but I'd consider Benson to be better than Lopez, and Lieber to be even better.

I agree, Lieber is a better pitcher than Benson or Lopez and I'd prefer to trade Mench for Lieber than those two. Lieber is due $7.5MM in 2007, the final year of his contract. Maybe Yo or Villanueva could be ready to takeover in 2008...

Tom Haudricout latest articles. He speculates that the Philles might be willing to part with Lieber.

Brewers' Mench drawing some surprising interest on trade market

By TOM HAUDRICOURT

thaudricourt@journalsentinel.com

Posted: Dec. 5, 2006

Lake Buena Vista, Fla. - Milwaukee Brewers fans who watched outfielder Kevin Mench play over the final two months of the 2006 season might be astonished that teams actually want to trade for him.

"I think people might be surprised at the interest we're getting in him," Brewers general manager Doug Melvin said Monday as baseball's annual winter meetings commenced.

The Baltimore Orioles talked to the Brewers about Mench during an afternoon meeting and the Philadelphia Phillies are showing considerable interest as well. Considered at the time to be the key to the Carlos Lee trade with Texas at the end of July, Mench played horribly for the Brewers, batting .230 with one homer and 18 RBI in 40 games.

Brewers manager Ned Yost eventually benched Mench and the Brewers no longer have plans for him with infielder Bill Hall shifting to the outfield.

Before his pratfall with the Brewers, however, Mench was a productive player for the Rangers. In 110 games in 2002, he socked 15 homers and drove in 60 runs. In 2004, he batted .279 with 26 homers and 71 RBI, and the next season he batted .264 with 25 homers and 73 RBI.

Before being traded to the Brewers last season, Mench batted .284 with 12 homers and 50 RBI in 87 games. For various personal reasons, the trade came at a bad time for Mench and he never adjusted to his new environment in Milwaukee.

Several weeks ago, the Brewers and Orioles discussed a possible exchange of Mench and right-hander Rodrigo Lopez, who went 9-18 with a 5.90 earned run average in 36 games (29 starts) but has had productive seasons in Baltimore. Whether that deal can be revived or not, Melvin said he was looking for pitching in return for either of his available corner outfielders, Mench and Geoff Jenkins.

The Phillies might be willing to part with veteran right-hander Jon Lieber in a deal involving Mench. Lieber, 36, who is signed next season for $7 million, went 9-11 with a 4.93 ERA in 27 starts for Philadelphia last season.

"I don't want to get into specifics but the clubs we met with today, that's what the focus has been, our outfielders," Melvin said. "The free agents are still holding up a lot of that."

Melvin referred to the outfielders still on the market, including Cliff Floyd, Luis Gonzalez, Trot Nixon, Kenny Lofton and Steve Finley. One name came off the list when Jose Guillen signed a one-year deal with the Seattle Mariners.

Mench, who had a $2.8 million salary last season and is eligible for arbitration, would not cost another club as much as Jenkins, who has a $7 million salary for 2007 with a club option for 2008 at $9 million with a $500,000 buyout.

"There are different levels of interest," said Melvin, who has one spot in his starting rotation to fill. "We're seeing who has interest and what they have available. We've been talking more about pitching; we'd like to get pitching back."

Waiting game: The Brewers are waiting to see if free-agent infielder Tony Graffanino accepts the club's offer of salary arbitration. They did it to keep intact draft-pick compensation should Graffanino go elsewhere but if he accepts by the Thursday deadline, he is Brewers property.

Feathers were ruffled on both sides when the Brewers moved off a two-year offer to Graffanino because they thought they had waited long enough, and signed Craig Counsell instead. Melvin said he had a recent telephone conversation with Graffanino.

"He was disappointed," Melvin said. "That's the way the system is. A club like ours, the system allows us to do certain things. We have to look at it and take advantage of it.

"We're not disappointed. We either get draft picks or we get a nice player back. Teams can still sign him."

San Diego has reported interest in Graffanino but might not want to sacrifice a first-round draft pick for him.

Odds and ends: Melvin said teams had asked about Derrick Turnbow, who pitched his way out of the closer's role last season and has two years and $5.5 million left on his contract. "I'm not motivated to move him," Melvin said. . . .

After the Brewers traded for starting catcher Johnny Estrada and moved Damian Miller into a backup role, Miller was concerned about whether the club would keep him as a reserve making $2.25 million. Melvin said there were no plans to move Miller. "His salary is not a problem," Melvin said. "We knew that when we did that deal. Right now, we think it's better to have the depth."

I also checked out the Philles Web site and it appears as though Lieber availabilty depends on the Phillles being able to make a trade for another pitcher first, So, I think if the Philles are able to trade Burrell or Rowland for pitching, then the Philles might be willing to trade Lieber for Mench. There's no talk or mention of the Brewers being interested in Burrell, which I'm sure has crossed the minds of a few people here.

I'll put down a few of the key quotes from the Philles Web site that could involve the Brewers.

"That said, if the Phillies upgraded the rotation, it could lead to a second deal to fill another need, possibly involving right-hander Jon Lieber. Gillick said there were no new developments in a trade involving Pat Burrell, though baseball sources said Burrell and Aaron Rowand's names may have come up.

Rowand was linked with Texas in a deal for a combination of pitchers Joaquin Benoit, Josh Rupe or Ron Mahay, though that is just speculation. The Rangers also inquired about Lieber at the trading deadline, and they could be interested again.

The Padres, who also might be a fit for Burrell, are flush with relievers. Should San Diego miss out on acquiring slugger Manny Ramirez, it may refocus on Burrell in a swap for dependable setup man Scott Linebrink. This assumes that Burrell waives his no-trade clause to play for the Padres."

"Philling in: A rumor floating around the lobby had the Phillies interested in outfielder Kevin Mench, who is being dangled for pitching help. Mench could help replace Burrell, if a suitor is found. ..."

In another article,

"...This intensified the team's efforts to trade Burrell, a process which began more than a year ago. The obstacles in Gillick's way include a blanket no-trade clause (though Burrell is believed to be willing to waive for the right trade), $27 million he is owed over the next two seasons, and a chronic right-foot injury that sapped his mobility.

Despite being willing to absorb a fair portion of the $27 million, Philadelphia is still having a difficult time finding a taker. He's been linked to Baltimore, San Francisco and San Diego, though the Phillies can't give him away and be left with three outfielders."

philadelphia.phillies.mlb...p&c_id=phi

philadelphia.phillies.mlb...p&c_id=phi

The Baltimore Sun is reporting that the Mench for Lopez deal is dead. The O's are now interested in a Jenkins for Lopez deal.

"The Orioles met yesterday with the Seattle Mariners and Milwaukee Brewers, two teams that are reportedly looking for a starting pitcher. The Orioles had discussed trading Lopez for outfielder Kevin Mench earlier this offseason, but the deal is no longer on the table, according to a source, who felt that the Orioles had a better chance at getting outfielder Geoff Jenkins from Milwaukee for Lopez."

www.baltimoresun.com/spor...s-baseball

Kenny [Lofton] is the other way around -- he fits the mold of a top-of-the-order guy, but he struggles defensively."

Then why not put Lofton in left and Hall in center if that is the better defensive lineup?

All things considered, I'd rather see Mench traded than Jenkins. Jenkins has been a Brewer for his whole career, and didn't actively do anything to destroy his standing with us.

The poster previously known as Robin19, now @RFCoder

EA Sports...It's in the game...until we arbitrarily decide to shut off the server.

More info on a possible Lieber/Mench-Turnbow swap from Randy Miller at pjillyBlurbs.com:

Quote:
Talks are preliminary, but Gillick was working on multiple deals that could pry top starter Freddie Garcia from the Chicago White Sox, plus reliever Derrick Turnbow and slugging outfielder Kevin Mench from the Milwaukee Brewers.

In the rumored deals, the Phils first would nab Garcia for center fielder Aaron Rowand and a pitcher, possibly reliever Ryan Madson or Triple-A starter Gavin Floyd.

If the Phils get Garcia, they'd immediately trade right-hander Jon Lieber, possibly to Milwaukee for Mench, a native of Delaware, and Turnbow, a one-time Phillies farmhand who lost his closer job after being named to the 2006 NL All-Star team.

...by the way, shouldn't this whole topic be in the trade rumor section?

Lieber does nothing for me. He's a long way from the pitcher he was 5, 6 years ago.

Opposing hitters batted .319 against him last year and slugged .473.

Sure he gets ground balls, but anything he leaves up gets blasted.

What makes anyone think that at 36 he won't regress further?

Quote:
...by the way, shouldn't this whole topic be in the trade rumor section?

Ah... I was waiting for that. Sound the alarm, trade comments on the major league board! Personally, in my time here I've never understood why there are two seperate boards. But that's just me.

Turnbow has been involved in trade talks since the end of the season. From what I've heard, it sounds as though he's definitely in demand, has not been placed "off limits" in any regard by the Brewers, and my inference is that he's the most likely to go this offseason.

Lieber strikes me as a player who's reputation hasn't left him while a good amount of his ability has. He used to get killed by lefties in his splits. Dunno if that's still the case, but regardless I'm not a fan.

Personally, in my time here I've never understood why there are two seperate boards.

Personally, I don't want the major league forums clogged up with made-up, magical trade ideas. I don't mind seeing trade rumors that have been written about somewhere else, here, however. And no, other team's messageboards shouldn't count.

wow i really like the prospect of rowand back to the white sox, but what has he even remotely done over there to warrant nothing but loyalty? chicagoanites would absolutely love him and his broken face back.

you would be hard pressed to find another poster in this community that is more disgusted with jenkins, but with that said... he is due for a monster year. then we pick up the '08 option and he stinks up the joint again. ahhh geoff. i want menchypoo gone.

Quote:
Ah... I was waiting for that. Sound the alarm, trade comments on the major league board! Personally, in my time here I've never understood why there are two seperate boards. But that's just me.

Ha ha. I don't get worked up about people placing things in the wrong forum usually and this is somewhere in between the two... so I'm just worried about confusion as to where to post new information. Maybe this thread should be renamed "Reports from the 2006 Winter Meetings" or something... just to indicate it's more than fan speculation.

Edit: or 2006 Meetings... whichever year it is ;)

Archived