Brewer Fanatic

Ryan Doumit

Seen some reports that he is not happy in Pittsburgh and Pittsburgh not happy with him and with the Pirates selling everyone off, perhaps the Brewers could work out some kind of deal and bring Doumit in to be the catcher in 2010? He is having an off year, but was hurt most of the year and never really got rolling. Decent defender, switch hitter and has some pop in his bat.

Thoughts?

Formerly BrewCrewIn2004

@IgnitorKid

I think his poor offensive season is due in part to his concentrating more on his defense which prior to this year, when he was often known as "no-mitt Doumit", was lousy (14 PB combined in 134 games in 07 and 08, just 2 this year in 52 games.

The big question with him is if he can hit and play defense at the same time. He hasn't so far.

• 2 months later...

Here's another guy I've been hearing pop up lately in JJ talks...as stated a few months back - hasn't been able to pull it all together for a full season. But the 2008 season of .318/.357/.501 sure is good-looking, as well as the 4.0 WAR.

Even so, you'd have to imagine there is a P involved as well, or has Hardy's value fallen that far?

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

Gonna toss Ryan Doumit in as a potential trade option for the brewers.

As discussed in some other threads, the Pirates have a top prospect at the position (sanchez, taken 4th last year out of college and on the fast track), plus Jeff Clement (from Seattle). Doumit makes decent money - $3.5M in 2010, $5.1M in 2011, with 2012 and 13 options. As they are in total rebuild mode, shedding the salary is a plus for them.

Doumit is a switch hitter - something we could really use. He had an OPS of .813, .858 and .713 over the past three years - with last year troubled by injuries.

Doumit will be 29 in april of next year - should be in his prime. He has been injured a lot - nothing related - always something new - broken thumb, fractured bone in the wrist, concussion., etc. When healthy, he hits. He hits pretty well from both sides of the plate - showing more power as a lefty, but slightly better average from the right side.

What would it take to get Doumit? His injury last year was a broken bone in his wrist, which no doubt hurt his hitting. But he's supposed to be healthy. An .800+ OPS switch hitting catcher would be pretty awesome in the lineup. It would allow us to leave Lucroy and Salome in the minors at least another year.

I don't know much about his defense, but I seem to recall it was average at best. Perhaps that's a wrong perception.

Thoughts? Again, I'd be interested in what people thought it would take to get Doumit. And if he'd be a good fit.

We discussed Doumit briefly at the end of this thread, but yeah, the Pirates don't need catching help. The Pirates may be a good fit to trade with, because they may be open to receiving quality A-ball prospects in return for him if that is the best they can do while also trimming their payroll some more. They traded Freddy Sanchez to the Giants for Tim Alderson, a talented pitching prospect, but one that had not progressed past 13 starts at the AA level after starting the season in A-ball (and Doumit isn't going to fetch the same kind of talent in return). And at this point, they probably could care less about trading with a divisional opponent (and vice versa).

Archived