Brewer Fanatic

Cameron willing to "make a sacrifice" to stay with the Brewers

trwi7

Hehe, that's a funny typo http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif

And I agree completely with you on that point, OSS. I think there's no coincidence that Cam keeps himself in such great condition & that he's been able to stay productive.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply
II would agree on Kendall...at this point his bat is so bad, it's really too much to take. It's not like he's "Molina like" on D behind the plate either. The big argument seems to be how he handles our pitchers. Considering the epic fail of our staff this year, it's tough to see where he's added a ton of value.

They were so bad the pitching coach was fired in his first year. This seems not to have improved things, so next I'd think they'd have try firing either the catcher or the pitching staff.

Maybe tonight with C-Pat coming up, there'll be more clarification. I have to wonder why they are calling up C-Pat with only 4 games left for the Sounds and the chance for the playoffs. Does it make any sense to tweak Cam now rather than in 4 games?

I love watching Cam's defense. I wonder how good Bourgeios or Stern would be. Also what happened with Iribarren playing CF in VWL? Did anyone read anything that suggested that was a success or failure?

I guess I could go either way with bringing him back or not. I'd vote yes at a reduced rate and no to a 2 year deal.

Formerly AKA Pete

"I would be willing to make a sacrifice to make that happen," he said. "You just never know how it's going to work out financially. It would be cool, because I like it here. Doug [Melvin, the Brewers' general manager] is pretty straightforward, and it's just a matter of what direction they want to go in."

I think the bolded part is the key. If Cameron had said, "I like it here and really want to stay," that would be totally different. Lee and Cordero said pretty much the same thing without the make a sacrifice part.

that's getting pretty far into semantics. we did the same thing to everything CC said and we do it to Doug Melvin.

Cameron has not seemed to show any signs of slowing down over the past couple years. If they were to sign him to a 2 year, $15-18MM deal, I'd be happy.
I really do not think it is going to take that big of a deal to get Cameron to come back next year. Bobby Abreu got a one year 5 million dollar deal with 1 million in incentives. Jim Edmonds could not find a deal, and then look at older players at other positions, and it is clear that teams are not comfortable handing out alot of guaranteed money to older players. I do not see Cameron costing more than 6-7 million guaranteed, with a couple million in incentives.

How was Abreu's year terrible?

Either way, the commonality with Abreu and Edmonds is inferior defense. Cameron doesn't have that issue. I would be surprised if he signed for $6M. There will be competition for him if the Brewers don't bring him back. He will be one of the better FA outfield options available if he gets there.

By terrible I mean his defense. UZR had him at -25.6 and scouting reports agreed he couldn't do anything in RF. There were serious question if he coudl paly the field again and a mid 800 OPS with declining power doesn't make a $10m/year DH. With the Angels his defense has rebounded.

Yes Cameron in center is worth more than Abreu, and Edmonds who both are sub-par defenders. My point is that these players would have commanded more in past years. Cameron will get more than Abreu, but I do not think he will get double what Abreu got. So something like 7 million, with 2-2.5 in incentives is right around what I expect.

Cameron was worth $18.1 Million last season, even missing 25 games to start the year. This year he has been worth $17.4 Million with about a month to go. Cameron has been amazing and I would love to see him in a Brewer uniform for one more year... at least.
Cameron was definitely worth his salary the last couple of years, but we are talking about next year.

We need to take into account the league supply/demand for a 37 year-old CF, the Brewers personnel concerns and how those concerns can be met by Melvin's budget. I'd offer a contract for $7M with $1M for 125 games played.

If that doesn't do the trick, I would take my chances with another alternative and assuming that is cheaper be able to use that money plus other resources to assist in acquiring a #2/#3 type starting pitcher.

If that doesn't do the trick, I would take my chances with another alternative and assuming that is cheaper be able to use that money plus other resources to assist in acquiring a #2/#3 type starting pitcher.

The problem is trying to acquire a #2/#3 starter will likely cost not just money, but years. That means you have to give up something not just next year but the next few years as well.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

The problem is trying to acquire a #2/#3 starter will likely cost not just money, but years. That means you have to give up something not just next year but the next few years as well.

I'm hoping and assuming that will be the case. The Brewers should be targeting pitchers that will be here at least two years. The Brewers are going to need to replace a combination of: Suppan (team option won't be exercised), Bush (free agent), and Looper (assuming the Brewers pick up 2010 option) and possibly Parra (if he doesn't improve) after 2010. And I am not as confident as some on how many starters the Brewers can count on from the minors for the 2011 season.

We can't compete on the top tier guys and they are really the only ones wirth signing to multi year deals. When you go after the next tier you have a high probability ending up with a Suppan type guy.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

The only way the Brewers are getting a middle of the rotation starter for around 7 million is in a trade. Free agent pitchers are ridiculously priced, unless they are coming off of an injury, or had a terrible year. That is one of the biggest reason that I think the Brewers should sign Cameron even if it is for 9-10 million guaranteed, which I dont think it will be. The production Cameron gives you, is worth more wins than any free agent pitcher you are going to get for that kind of money.

http://milwaukee.brewers.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20090913&content_id=6936724&vkey=news_mil&fext=.jsp&c_id=mil

Brewers.com has a story up about how Hoffman wants to return to the Brewers next season. I think if you're going to pay any veteran on the team similarly to what they made in '09, it has to be Hoffman. He's been worth every penny, and the fanbase clearly loves the guy.

"I don't want to start over in an another organization, I can tell you that," Hoffman told MLB.com, referring to his adjustment after 16 seasons with the Padres. "Everything has gone very well here. They've made me feel more than welcome. If I have the choice, I'd really like to come back here. But that isn't my decision."

Personally, I'd love to see him come back next year, get well above 600 saves, and then maybe retire if he is ready for that...hopefully after helping the Brewers make the playoffs in '10. Then maybe someday the Brewers retire his number at Miller Park.

The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

Invader3K quoted Hoffman:

http://milwaukee.brewers.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20090913&content_id=6936724&vkey=news_mil&fext=.jsp&c_id=mil

"If I have the choice, I'd really like to come back here. But that isn't my decision."

With apologies for continuing the mini-tangent...I saw that article yesterday and felt pretty good about it until I got to the part I bolded above. It reminds me too much of Franci$co Cordero.
Remember: the Brewers never panic like you do.

I don't know...I get the impression Hoffman is a pretty straight shooter. Maybe I'm naive, but I simply think he meant that he can only come back if Milwaukee offers him another contract.
I'd bet Milwaukee needs to offer him another contract that is equal to or more than a possible contract offered by another team.

I don't know...I get the impression Hoffman is a pretty straight shooter. Maybe I'm naive, but I simply think he meant that he can only come back if Milwaukee offers him another contract.
I'd bet Milwaukee needs to offer him another contract that is equal to or more than a possible contract offered by another team.
The pressure from the Players Union is tremendous on players. They don't anybody agreeing to home town discounts or less than FMV contracts. I'm sure the Union has a strategy in place to fight the low ball offers they saw last winter.

Archived