Brewer Fanatic

Jim Thome, Jon Garland traded to Dodgers

DocLuna7

I know Thome hasn't played 1B in years, but I can't imagine he's going there to be just a bat off the bench. Even if it's only as a part time starter, Loney should be sitting at least twice a week. His bat is awful.

Loney is awful for a 1B, but he's OK. He drives in a fair amount of runs. Better contact hitter than Thome and Loney's BA has dipped this season. Any time you can add a bat like Thome it helps the team, but I guess I just don't see one of them as drastically better than the other. Good addition though.

Both trades confirmed by ESPN: http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=4436363

The Dodgers will receive Thome and cash for minor league infielder Justin Fuller. The Dodgers said that Garland was acquired for a player to be named later.

Thome is owed $2,415,301 from his $13 million salary, and is eligible to become a free agent after the World Series.

Garland is due $1,161,202 from his $6.25 million salary. His contract includes a $10 million mutual option. He gets a $2.5 million buyout if the team declines and $1 million is he declines. Because he was traded, the Dodgers cannot offer him salary arbitration if he is a Type A free agent.

"[baseball]'s a stupid game sometimes." -- Ryan Braun

Twitter

Archived