Brewer Fanatic

Dodgers acquire Ron Belliard

jaybird2001wi

Former Brewer Ron Belliard is now establishing himself as a journeyman infielder as he was traded from Washington to Los Angeles today in a waiver-wire deal. How our once "promising" future second baseman has now shuttled himself from organization to organization speaks volumes about what could have been had we not drafted Rickie Weeks and stuck with this guy.

The guy has now been from Milwaukee then he was non-tendered after he started having a diminished work ethic and gained a ton of weight in his last Brewers' season. Made a one and done season with Colorado before heading to Cleveland followed by a trade from the Indians to St. Louis. Now with this trade from Washington to Los Angeles, it makes it his SEVENTH organization and he is 34. Does anyone think he is going to be in line for setting the record for most uniforms worn in a career set by Mike Morgan with 12 once his career is done?

Former Brewer Ron Belliard is now establishing himself as a journeyman infielder as he was traded from Washington to Los Angeles today in a waiver-wire deal. How our once "promising" future second baseman has now shuttled himself from organization to organization speaks volumes about what could have been had we not drafted Rickie Weeks and stuck with this guy.

The guy has now been from Milwaukee then he was non-tendered after he started having a diminished work ethic and gained a ton of weight in his last Brewers' season. Made a one and done season with Colorado before heading to Cleveland followed by a trade from the Indians to St. Louis. Now with this trade from Washington to Los Angeles, it makes it his SEVENTH organization and he is 34. Does anyone think he is going to be in line for setting the record for most uniforms worn in a career set by Mike Morgan with 12 once his career is done?

Jaybird,

You're a little too tough on Belliard. This is only the second time he's been traded. All the other times he switched teams, he was a FA. You don't hang around in the majors as long as he has without producing. He's had a very solid career and been an All Star. At 34 he's now a very good utility player that good teams want down the stretch. That is hardly a negative.

Belliard is one of those players that always annoyed me...I think mostly his dumpy looks and silly hair, coupled with his habit of running the bases with his gloves in his hands. That said, he's had an OK career, probably better than a lot of more hyped guys have had coming through Milwaukee.
The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

tons of players run the bases with their batting gloves in their hands. It helps prevent finger injuries when sliding into bases, in theory.

- - - - - - - - -

P.I.T.C.H. LEAGUE CHAMPION 1989, 1996, 1999, 2000, 2006, 2007, 2011 (finally won another one)

tons of players run the bases with their batting gloves in their hands. It helps prevent finger injuries when sliding into bases, in theory.
Agree 100% with the above mentioned therory. It is supposed to prevent broken fingers and jammed fingers when diving into bases.

It may just be me, but Belliard bothers me because he looks like he doesent take very good care of himself. He is quite a large guy for a 2b. But I do agree that he has had a long career and because of this the pros must see something in him. He is like a plus-sized Craig Counsel! http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif

I know the reasoning behind it. I guess I think it just looks goofty, especially for a rather stout looking guy like him with the longer hair that he used to have.
The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

I see. I read your original post as if you didn't understand why he did that and that's why it was classified as a "habit." I kind of figured you knew about the gloves thing, but one never knows what others know on the internet. My apologies.

- - - - - - - - -

P.I.T.C.H. LEAGUE CHAMPION 1989, 1996, 1999, 2000, 2006, 2007, 2011 (finally won another one)

He bounced back to have a solid career despite the Brewers' near maniacal attempt to ruin him. I'll never understand why they picked up Eric Young when they had two perfectly good 2B in Belly and Loretta already on the team. Then they switched them both to 3B, played Loretta hardly at all and gave Tyler Houston most of the time at 3rd. There were reasons that team lost 106 games followed by a mass bloodletting. Belliard was a solid young 2B that the worst team in baseball couldn't find playing time for.

I know he's not a great 2B, but he made the greatest play I ever saw at a game I attended. It was a Nats-Reds game at RFK mid summer in 2007. A screaming grounder caromed off the pitcher's foot to the 2B. Ronnie ran over to it, reached down his glove hand, got the ball and continued spinning his body counter-clockwise to a full 360 degree turn. He came around flipped the ball out of his glove to the ss at 2nd, who then threw to 1st for a double play.

The crowd sprung to it's feet for a standing O. The applause persisted for a moment until he tipped his cap to the crowd. He said something to the ss and you could see both of them laughing. I figure he stole Pee Wee Herman's line, "I meant to do that".

edit:? I just found it on YouTube.? Felipe Lopez was the ss, and they didn't get the double play.? Lopez made a nice play grabbing the ball.

Fairly or unfairly, I've always been turned off by Belliard's body language, which to me looks lackadaisical. That play is awesome, though - thanks for posting it, joepepsi - and I will let it displace 6 percent of the ill will I usually harbor toward Ronnie.
Remember: the Brewers never panic like you do.

I had never seen that play before. Probably because it was a Nats-Reds game and ESPN didn't cover it at all. Awesome. Thanks for sharing.

- - - - - - - - -

I'm glad to see that others find Belliard annoying. I've always thought it was just more of my crazy old man-ness. That play was great, no doubt. If my memory is correct (and odds are, it probably isn't), Belliard blew a lot of routine plays by trying to turn them into highlight-reel plays. Is that correct, or is my memory influenced by me being annoyed by him in general?

That was a wonderful night at the ballpark--one of my best baseball experiences ever. I was in DC by myself for business. Took the Metro to RFK. As I walked up to the stadium a guy in his mid-50s or so asked me if I wanted to buy one of his tickets for $15. I said sure. Turns out I sat by him and his wife right behind home plate just a few rows up. Tried to buy them a beer in gratitude by they would have none of that.

The old place reminded me of County Stadium or old Comiskey or some minor league park where the sound rocks and echos around bouncing off the metal floors. 20,000 some fans, but it was loud and raucous. The concessions were little roll around vendor carts, but they sold Harp, so that was nice. Rode back to the hotel on the Metro full of Nats fans. All told I spent less the 20 bucks for transportation and premium seating. The Harps were the same price at the game as downtown DC. I thought, wow, this city loves its team, this is great. The next year they had a new stadium with no energy and lost all their fans.

Ronnie always looked/acted like a little ManRam on the field to me. Guess Milwaukee wasn't the best fit for him, but whenever I see him play nowadays he always looks like he's having a good time. And I always think of that awesome play he made at one of the best games I ever attended. I can't fault him for any of that.

Archived