Brewer Fanatic

Jason Schmidt

jwill535
  • Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Melvin contacted Schmidt's agents before the meetings began to see if the right-hander would even consider an offer from Milwaukee. Melvin characterized the response from Randy and Alan Hendricks as lukewarm.

"I think this is how [agents] operate: They say, 'There's A and B where I want to be, and to go to C, D or E, I'd have to get the extra year or get more money.'"

The team faced the same dilemma last month with outfielder Dave Roberts, who preferred to stay on the West Coast and eventually signed with San Francisco. The Brewers also showed interest in Juan Pierre, but they were told that Milwaukee was not on Pierre's wish list. He eventually went to the Dodgers.

From the Brewers website....

From Rotoworld:
Quote:
The Brewers kicked the tires on free agent Jason Schmidt, but they got the idea he wasn't interested in playing in Milwaukee.
Disheartening, but at least now we're actually in conversations with a player of this caliber. I like that now, instead of being immidiately dismissed, without Mil. even crossing players' minds, we actually are a team that someone has to 'give some thought to'
Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

Quote:
Disheartening, but at least now we're actually in conversations with a player of this caliber. I like that now, instead of being immidiately dismissed, without Mil. even crossing players' minds, we actually are a team that someone has to 'give some thought to'

he'd probably consider pitching in Uganda if they offered enough cash...

per rotoworld

Quote:

The Brewers kicked the tires on free agent Jason Schmidt, but they got the idea he wasn't interested in playing in Milwaukee.

Oh well

I just want to point out that rotoworld is only collecting information from other sources. They probably read the same thing from McCalvy and posted their reaction.

I've noticed a few comments also about the supposed Rocco Baldelli "rumor," which of course wasn't a rumor at all. It was merely a thought by one of their writers, and probably closer to a pipedream, at least for the players he had involved.

As exciting as this signing would be heading into 2007, wouldn't $15M a year blow any chance of another discount on Sheets in two years? Capuano will be due soon too, and I'd rather stick with those two at their ages given the domino effect the big signing would cause, maybe it'd even have an effect on Hall staying.

It'd definitely be more inspiring than any trade involving Mench, Jenkins and more than likely Turnbow, but even though it's nice to be able to dip a toe in instead of watching with shoes on, $40M for the top three starters seems impossible unless the next wave of offensive prospects (behind Fielder/Weeks/Hart) collectively blows our mind over the next year or two.

Archived