Brewer Fanatic

Jason Schmidt

jwill535

Klements, I obviously agree with you, and in this instance, critics be darned (sometimes not swearing is just so uncool). I don't call him Reggie White, but the potential deal hangs on the element of whether or not he wants to come to WI (or if God tells him to.... sorry Reggie, couldn't resist - We Miss You!!)

This would not at all be that same move. What it would be, and what it shares in common with the NFL signing is that it would be a proven, veteran star player recognizing that, with the young talent already in place, his presence can put the team over the proverbial hump of playoff success.

I'll gladly stand up to any criticism of that

Edit: Cooprules should get a gold star (preschool? http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/wink.gif ) for his nice work on the link to the CNNSI story on Schmidt. It's details like that which make BF.net the best place to be on the internet!

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This would not at all be that same move. What it would be, and what it shares in common with the NFL signing is that it would be a proven, veteran star player recognizing that, with the young talent already in place, his presence can put the team over the proverbial hump of playoff success.

I can pretty much agree with that.

Signing Schmidt instantly gives us the top rotation in the NL right now.

EDIT: It'd also make a Baldelli trade involving Villanueva a no-brainer for the Brewers.

Quote:
Edit: Cooprules should get a gold star (preschool? ) for his nice work on the link to the CNNSI story on Schmidt. It's details like that which make BF.net the best place to be on the internet!

While I appreciate the support I think someone else had the link in their post but it may have just been a little hard to see.

Hey guys haven't posted here in a while, but this Schmidt rumor has brought me out of my silence (atleast on this board anyways)

This would make my day (and year for that matter) if this were to happen. For Melvin to even consider it one would think Melvin has an offer on the table regarding another trade that would significantly lower our payroll. Maybe if we could sign Schmidt we might settle with a Jenks for mid level prospects or a reliever? This would be the most significant signing in Brewers history if this were to happen. I am already optimistic about this year but if this happens I might just freeze myself (A la South Park) until next April

I don't think 60 million for 4 years would get him, but in light of the pitchers getting 40 million for 4 years it would a good deal in this market. It would be the shock of the free agent century in the Dodgers blew all their money on Ramirez and the Cubs blew all their money on Lilly and the west coast of Lake Michigan was left with Schmidt.

Hmmm........ Sheets, Shmidt, Cappy, Bush ....... not too shabby.

This trade would be huge for the Crew. I really think that Doug has to pull a big trade off sometime soon for the Brewers to improve, and this could be just it. However I don't wanna get my hopes up too much after seeing the way mediocre pitchers are getting paid so far. All i can do is sit and wait.

This would be a FA signing, not to be a jerk.

From that Rosenthal article, it seems the Brewers chances have moved from slim to dismal to dire. He has worked with GM Colletti & Trainer Conte in SF. So it seems that now the Crew is going to have to overbid a team from Los Angeles.

Uh Oh. Well, it was fun while it lasted.

P.S. - What're the Vegas odds on a Schmidt to Bos flip for Man-Ram? Cause I might take 'em

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

Schmidt was one free agent many of us seemed to agree upon as a ideal offseason target for the Brewers. I'm very happy to hear them get involved.

The second round this year is supposedly going to suck with a thin draft plus a bunch of bonus picks. Losing a 2nd round pick is nothing.

I could care less about the 2nd round pick in signing someone like Schmidt (or even Damian Miller two years ago), but endaround, next year's draft looks as though it could be loaded. Not sure where you got the idea that it was supposed to be thin.

I'll give you the insane amount of comp picks.

Taking a look at Jason Schmidt's top ten comps through age 33 at baseball-reference.com is pretty scary. They include 2 guys who never played past 33 (Jack McDowell and Ramon Martinez), 2 guys who have just finished their age 33 season (Bartolo Colon and Chan Ho Park) and six other guys who averaged 3 seasons, 60 starts and 4.62 ERA for their career beyond 33.

The fact that the team is willing to get into the bidding for Schmidt shows that they have a good chunk of money to use if the situation is right.

And Schmidt would be a huge addition. I honestly thought he was out of the Brewer's price range (apparently not since it would be pointless for Melvin to make in offer if he was just going to lowball him).

A rotation with Sheets, Schmidt, Capuano, Bush and Vargas would be unmatched in the entire National League. It would also allow us the possibility of moving Villenueva (Devil Rays?) to put the finishing touches on our lineup.

I have a feeling that we'll only be able to get serious in the Schmidt sweepstakes if we can get rid of nearly all of Jenkin's, Mench's and possibly Turnbow's salaries. Together those three would make about $13M in '07. So swapping out that $13M for $15M (or so) for Schmidt wouldn't actually be adding all that much in salary in the short term (long term is a different story).

The fact that the Brewers are in the Schmidt sweepstakes shows just how serious they are about making this season the year we take a huge step forward.

Two fisted slobber, without looking at that list of comparisons, I would first of all point out that Schmidt wasn't very good when young. He had injuries, and occasionally flashed potential. I would compare him more to Schilling than the guys you mentioned. I say Schilling, because he really wasn't anything special till his 30s.

The latest Mlb.Com rumors section doesnt list the Brewers as a team talking to Jason.

The Cubs, Astros, Cardinals, Giants and Mariners are among the teams interested in free agent right-hander Jason Schmidt

"There are a number of teams that have made very attractive proposals," agent Randy Hendricks said. "So there's a lot going on, a lot of discussions, a lot to think about. I wouldn't want to give you a timetable. Whatever I would guess would probably be wrong anyway."

It appears we have some conflicting information

Archived