Brewer Fanatic

Jason Schmidt

jwill535

take it for what its worth

From CNNSI

But the real surprise team in the Schmidt derby is the Brewers. A person familiar with the talks told SI.com that Milwaukee inquired about Schmidt's willingness to come there and hasn't been told no yet so it may also make an offer.The Schmidt sweepstakes is not expected to drag on too much longer.

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's good to see Milwaukee put it's horse in the race at least. Even if they don't get him, they're giving notice to the rest of the league that they're a player, at least this year, in the free agent market. Sooner or later, they'll land a guy. Hopefully it's sooner.

If Schmidt does make it to Milwaukee, that immediately puts them in realistic contention in 2007. Even if they do land Schmidt, I still hope they trade Jenks for a Kris Benson type to fill out a real solid rotation the likes we in Milwaukee have really never had before.

The Brewers do have the resources to sign Schmidt and trade nearly equal value of Jenkins for Benson. That would indeed be a very Merry Christmas.

Quote:
from what I understand, Schmidt has let it be known that Milwaukee is one of his favorite cities in the NL. Of course, that could have just been lip-service

That's surprising, and a bit comforting. Nice to know that some people out there like Milwaukee. It seems like all I ever hear from players is that they would rather not be in Milwaukee.

*Edit - Duh back to topic. I'd love to have Schmidt here too, but what kind a contract would get him here?

I'm naive, and believe in the Easter Bunny (Santa Claus I'm a bit unsure about!). C'mon Mark. DO IT!!!! Let's make a statement!!! PLUS, we don't have to give up anybody to get him. It's only money! Let's give this town something to really talk about!!!!!!!!!!

Uh-oh. Somebody just told me the Easter Bunny does not exist. Darn....

The Brewers do have the resources to sign Schmidt and trade nearly equal value of Jenkins for Benson. That would indeed be a very Merry Christmas.

I think any potential signing of Schmidt would be based on DM being able to free up the $7+ mil that is currently invested in Jenkins. Trading Jenks for Benson would add salary and then try to get Schmidt for at least 15 mi/yr? I don't see it happening.

I would imagine if Schmitt was signed Jenkins would be dealt for someone with a much more managable salary.

While I'd love for the Brewers to make a splash at the Winter Meetings, Schmidt doesn't seem like the most logical choice for the Brewers, IMO. As a small market team, the Brewers do not have the luxury to gamble on free agents - they cannot afford to be wrong.

A 34 year old with recent injury issues does not seem like a good gamble. A perfectly healthy Jason Schmidt is one thing - a Jason Schmidt in the real world is a whole different ballgame.

I'm not saying I wouldn't welcome Schmidt to Wisconsin with open arms. I would just want to look long and hard at his medical records.

I should have mentioned it during the Ben Sheets to the Mets thread...

But we could afford to trade Sheets if we signed Schmidt. I frankly would like to keep them all, because a rotation of Sheets, Schmidt, Cappy, Bush, and Change would be a great line-up.

BUT, if we sign Schmidt. AND trade Sheets for a real quality player - aren't we still way ahead?

Just saying, if the salary is too high to keep both of them...sign schmidt and trade sheets.

Quote:
That's surprising, and a bit comforting. Nice to know that some people out there like Milwaukee. It seems like all I ever hear from players is that they would rather not be in Milwaukee.

I posted this in another thread last week, that over the course of the past season, another Brewerfan.netter found a quote or something that Schmidt took his family and rented a car and drove up and down the lakefront and he said he really liked the city and might consider living here. But dollars talk, but it is interesting to see the Brewers listed as a player.

Sheets

Schmidt

Capuano

Bush

Vargas

Villaneauva

Tough to beat that!

can i have a link to this rumor please? And imagine if the Brewers than trade Mench and Turnbow for Lieber and do the Baldeli trade imagine this rotation

Sheets

Schmidt

Capuano

Lieber

Bush

C: Estrada

1B: Fielder

2B: Weeks

3B: Koskie

SS: Hardy

LF: Hall

CF: Baldeli

RF: Hart

thats one awesome team!

At first I gasp that we'd be handing him at least $15 million per, but it's not like the market's suddenly going to drop back down next year, so we may as well....

It'll be great to have him, but still, if he's our only big gain this offseason, I fear our better rotation but still-weak hitting will only mean we'll be losing all our games 3-1.

For those who think more salary needs to be paired for the Brewers to make a Schmidt deal a reality, it's been said already that there is room for a big name free agent. Everything I've read here from the Brewers braintrust has been on record as saying this. I'm hoping someone can bring the source or sources since I'm at work and don't have the time myself, but I stand by what I'm saying.

For those who think more salary needs to be paired for the Brewers to make a Schmidt deal a reality, it's been said already that there is room for a big name free agent

You're correct; there is room for a big name free agent. However, I think most of that talk is also based on the Crew dealing Jenkins which has seemed like a forgone conclusion since the last month of the regular season. I may be wrong, but I always just assumed when they looked at the 2007 payroll that Jenkins # was not included.

Sheets/Schmidt would be hands down the best 1-2 punch in the league, as far as I'm concerned

Brettac, perhaps that's the first time we've agreed on anything this offseason. While unlikely for the Crew to add him, it would be huge.

Archived