Brewer Fanatic

Single season individual club records in reach.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

Just something to yack about hopefully. I seem to recall a fair amount of discussion a few years back when Kolb (and then Turnbow) were chasing the saves record, and Overbay was chasing the team doubles standard.

45 Homeruns. (Sexson twice, Gorman Thomas once)

Fielder stands at 30, with 64 games left. He's on a statistical projection to hit exactly 50, but players always slow down as the season wears on. I'd put the odds on this at about 60/40 in favor.

126 RBI (Cecil Cooper in '83)

Fielder stands at 72, with a statistical pace to reach 120. Since Braun has been driving in a ton of runs in front of Prince, his pace has slowed down. I'd call this a bit of a longshot at this point, maybe about a 25% chance, or slightly better.

.588 SLG%, set by Jenkins in 2000.

Prince stands at .603, while Braun is at a staggering .657. Of course, this is assuming Braun gets enough plate appearances (501 necessary) to qualify. Of the 2, I suspect Prince has a slightly better chance of maintaining that pace, but I won't put anything past Braun at this point. I think at least one of these 2 guys will set a new club standard.

1.004 OPS, set by Paul Molitor in 1987.

Prince stands at .975, while Braun is at 1.044. I think Prince has an outside shot, but he definately needs to get his homerun swing going again.

For the record, ESPN has Braun projected to get 495 plate appearances, appearing in 114 games. He's at 50, and there's 64 games left, so they're assuming no days off, which might be a slight stretch.

39 saves, by Kolb and Turnbow.

Cordero stands at 31, so he has an excellent shot of not just passing, but shattering this club mark. His current pace puts him at 51, which would be one of the best saves seasons ever. I don't think that's an unrealistic number, as long as the club wins at a .550 clip or so for the rest of the season.

I think you mean 64 games left, too bad it's not 104 though.

I can see Prince breaking the HR record and the SLG % record. Cordero will break the saves record.

I would put Prince down for the RBI record as well, but as you stated, Braun has pretty much been cleaning up before Prince gets to the plate. Barring Braun going ice cold and/or a lineup change, I don't think Prince will get it, though I do believe he'll be close, maybe even tie it. One thing is for sure, I won't care if I'm wrong if he does go on to break it.

I've been watching these records over the years. I'm a bit suprised how Cooper's RBI record has held up. Burnitz and Sexson came so close, but just fell short. But if it doesn't fall this year, I think it will fall soon.

It will be interesting to watch in the coming years who will be the first player not named Yount, Molitor, or Cooper to make the top 5 in some of the single season records. (like a 200 hit season or a 110 run season). Looks like Braun has a good shot in a full season.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

It will be interesting to watch in the coming years who will be the first player not named Yount, Molitor, or Cooper to make the top 5 in some of the single season records.

It's almost rather pathetic that a team with a 37 year history has most of it's "Top 5 single season batting" records that fall in the early 80's. Sure, there's a Cirillo here, a Vaughn there, but most of the top 5's are indeed held by those guys from way back when. Jenkins has a few spots here and there, but generally speaking, the last 15 years hasn't had much to show for it.

I'm more than certain that Prince is going to make his mark on some of those lists, starting this year.

Archived