Brewer Fanatic

Red Sox release Brad Penny [Latest: Will Join Giants]

Invader3K
Not when several teams want him, and he has his choice of where to go. An easily available SP is a guy who is in AAA and available for a song. That's a 6ish ERA guy. Again, when the Twins want you to help get in the playoffs, yet he wasn't good enough to replace Mike Burns...what sense does that make? My point is, there seems to be a feeling that a 5 ERA guy is worthless...not at all. Every team has one, and many have 2-3.

No one wanted to pay him his bonuses and salary. Money doesn't stop being a consideration all of a sudden.

My point is, many said he was "done" and not a step up from Burns and CV, yet the Twins, Giants, and Yankees were begging him to come pitch for them. Add all that up, and it doesn't.

While picking up Penny for peanuts would have been nice, if I had the choice between going to pitch for a playoff contender in San Francisco and going to a 2009 sinking ship in Milwaukee, it would not be a very tough choice for me to make.

Archived