Brewer Fanatic

Billy Wagner - Type A?

44Fishy

The entire system is terrible, so it doesn't surprise me. They use the wrong stats completely to judge these things. It is just another example of how antiquated baseball stats lead to people complete misinterpreting player value. Same thing as judging hitters by AVG or pitchers by ERA.

I stole the information from the following link, http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2007/10/stats-used-for.html , but relief pitchers are put into a group and ranked according to the following stats.

Total games (total relief appearances + 2 * total starts), IP (weighted slightly less than other categories), Wins + Saves, IP/H ratio, K/BB, ERA

Some things to consider. There are a ton of relief pitchers. How many guys come up for just a cup of coffee and go right back down in a season? And, given that holds isn't a category, if you close for any amount of time you're going to rank way up there in the Wins + Saves category. And we know that Wagner is a star based on those last 3 categories. It's not really surprising that Wagner ranks in the top 20% or so of relievers, or whatever % includes Type A compensation when you look at what stats are actually considered.

Robert

Curse you, Theo Epstein, & your savvy manipulation of a stupid baseball rule! Hard not to admire shrewdness of that magnitude -- I never even stopped to consider that Wagner would net Type A compensation. Not sure Papelbon would understand if you tried to explain it to him, though. http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/wink.gif
Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

Archived