Brewer Fanatic

Report: Several Brewers put on waivers [Latest: Hoffman claimed by Giants]

AJAY
The Phillies already made one big deal to significantly strengthen their team. If they want to do well in October, it would certainly make sense to get a closer who hasn't imploded all season long. Their bats are good, but they are going to need a bullpen against playoff teams. I find it hard to believe that they would make a deal for Lee and not upgrade at closer. It would not surprise me if the Phillies would actually put forth a strong offer, if they are the team that claimed Hoffman.

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I guess the thing I'm missing here is why would anyone give up top prospects for Hoffman?

Flags fly forever, and Lidge isn't looking dependable enough to be a contributor to a champion. It all depends on how motivated the Phillies are to go for that ring when they are so close.

So would anybody do Bastardo and Stutes for Hoffman if the Phillies are the team that claimed him?
I don't follow minor league ball, but from the little I've read about them, yeah, I'd do that. Bastardo would have a shot to make the rotation in 2010 and Stutes may have a shot in 2011.

What I don't understand is why we still don't know who the team is yet that made the claim. When it was reported that a team claimed Doug Davis off waivers, we knew right away that it was the Brewers.
We didn't find out right away. Remember there was the Heyman twitter that guessed it was the Brewers that claimed him and then articles following that up by making the guess that we claimed him? Then the next day it came out that we did. I'd imagine we find out tomorrow who claimed him.

A team that hasn't been mentioned (if it has, I missed it) is the Marlins. They're only 4.5 games out of the wildcard. I could see them trying to add some bullpen help.

Flags fly forever, and Lidge isn't looking dependable enough to be a contributor to a champion. It all depends on how motivated the Phillies are to go for that ring when they are so close.

What would it take for the Brewers to make the deal though? I know 'flags fly forever', but if the Phillies have already given up a lot this year in one major trade. I don't see how any team right now gives up more than what losing a type A brings in (if that happens...I have my doubts about it). Again, how often has that happened? My gut says not often so it would boil down to the Brewers taking back lower prospects. I still think there's no way the Brewers get back top 5 or maybe even one top 10 prospect for Hoffman. It just doesn't make sense IMO. If a team or teams were that hot on Hoffman he most likely would've been dealt last month...or at least I hope he would've been.

A team that hasn't been mentioned (if it has, I missed it) is the Marlins. They're only 4.5 games out of the wildcard. I could see them trying to add some bullpen help.

Good call, trwi. And the latest I knew, their closer/back end of the bullpen was up in the air. Plus, they might have some youth that would be attractive.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

Strangely, Hoffman has more value if he's ultimately a type B as opposed to a type A. Nobody would sign Hoffman if the Crew or any other team offered him arby.

Last offseason Type A FA's Orlando Cabrera and Orlando Hudson both signed 1 year deals. If a contender needs a closer, and theres a few that will, they'll sign him. He's had a great year. He's more valuable now that he's shown that his dominace isn't just the byproduct of a great pitchers park.

who is going to give up a first round pick

Half the teams would only have to give up their 2nd round pick.

I had corrected my post with an edit to acknowledge that a 2nd round pick was also an option. But still it doesn't seem rational for a team that would give up a 2nd round pick - a team in the lower half of the complete 2009 MLB standings - to give up that pick for one pitcher who may last just a year, and not net any picks when he exits, and who may be injured for a good part of the season. That is just my very humble opinion.

As far as Cabrerra and Hudson....... Cabrerra and Hudson aren't 42. They're 35 and 32. Both aged in baseball terms, but less likely to be at the end of their careers. So, if you only sign them to a one year contract, and you have confidence that they'll be contenders, you can reasonably assume that when they leave after a year that you'll recoup that first or second round pick. You are less assured that Hoffman will be playing the year after you sign him (assuming you sign him to a one year deal) and so you know you won't recoup that pick.

I admit I was too hasty with "NO team would sign him" , but I do think a lot of teams will give pause to signing a 42 year old who might be playing beyond a year, and I do think that would make it more likely that he accept arbitration as opposed to netting draft picks from the team he ends up with in 2009. He's a proven reliever, but he's aging and has recent injury issues. He's not as likely to allow you to recoup your first/second round pick because he could retire soon. So, the majority of his value, unlike younger FA's, is not that you'll be able to recoup some of the assets, it's pretty much in his ability to pitch in the 9th for one year. There are teams that might think, "that's all we need!", but I'm skeptical. The Padres didn't offer him arbitration last year. I think had they done so, he would have taken it. Now, you can argue pretty convincingly that he just wanted to stay in SD, but I do think there would have also been the concern on Trevor and his agent's part that maybe teams would shy away from him because of the draft pick cost/return ratio.

I just don't think he's a slam dunk to get draft picks if he elects FA after arbitration. I think he would accept arbitration with what ever team offered it to him.

I just don't think he's a slam dunk to get draft picks if he elects FA after arbitration. I think he would accept arbitration with what ever team offered it to him.

The guy is a dominant closer, and it seems all rational thought goes out the window for FA closers. I not only think a team will want to sign Hoffman, but I also think he'll get a raise.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"88.6% of all statistics are made up right there on the spot" Todd Snider

-Posted by the fan formerly known as X ellence. David Stearns has brought me back..

I'm guessing the "gentleman's agreement" was more talk than anything, since the Yankees claimed Chris Carter yesterday when the Red Sox tried to pass him through to the Mets as a PTBNL to complete the Billy Wagner trade.

I can't blame the Giants for blocking any possible trades, even if their direct competition (the Rockies) probably wouldn't have been interested, anyway. Better to be safe than sorry, especially when San Fran's been slipping further and further behind in the race.

"[baseball]'s a stupid game sometimes." -- Ryan Braun

Twitter

BUT - The Giants have killed Wilson this August. Multiple times he has been asked to pitch over two innings even. His velocity has dropped from the 98 MPH range at the beginning of the month to 93 at best in his last start. Every time it's nearing the end of a close game they bring him in. I can't look anything sports related up at work, but I'm guessing he's nearing 20 appearances in August alone, with some being multiple innings. I honestly think they might really want Hoffman to share that workload and give Wilson some rest. Especially if they've decided that this is their year to make a run. Plus they're system is loaded with prospects that we could use. Look what they gave up for Sanchez? I think Hoffman is definitely worth more than him if he keeps up the way he has been pitching.

Archived