Brewer Fanatic

Report: Several Brewers put on waivers [Latest: Hoffman claimed by Giants]

AJAY
Yeah, most of the guys would get better value in just draft pick compensation. I don't know about everyone else, but I'd be inclined to bring back a lot of the players that they just put on waivers for 2010. Cameron, Hoffman, Counsell, and possibly Lopez. It's likely that trading them now would hurt the Brewers' chances of getting them next year. The scrubs like Looper and Kendall probably won't receive interest, so my guess is that nothing will come of this.

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

as stated already I doubt they get much of a return on any of these guys. The one thing it will tell us is if someone is claimed we know that they were not in the plans for next year. Also anyone want to take bets on how long it takes good old Tony to pick this up and put it on the js website?

The one thing it will tell us is if someone is claimed we know that they were not in the plans for next year.

That may be true for some players, but not for all. If Counsell gets claimed and Melvin can get a lottery ticket A ball pitcher, there's nothing stopping Counsell from coming back next year if he wants.

You didn't hear? Doug placed his Stache on waivers yesterday, just hasn't cleared yet. I heard Theo Epstein might claim it, but i would expect Doug to pull it back if that happens(no way could he get decent trade value from Theo).
http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/laugh.gif

No chance the Cardinals would give up Jason LaRue's in exchange, I suppose? We could sure use that to give somone a Yount-esque look on the next retro Friday.

Waive Suppan! Waive Suppan! Waive Suppan! PLEASE!

Maybe we can bribe the Cardinals to take him back in exchange for the Brewers paying most of his contract, a so-so A-ball lefty, and a couple bricks from Old Busch.

[edit: overdone punctuation (!!!!!!) --1992]

Waive Suppan! Waive Suppan! Waive Suppan! PLEASE!!!!!!

Maybe we can bribe the Cardinals to take him back in exchange for the Brewers paying most of his contract, a so-so A-ball lefty, and a couple bricks from Old Busch.

I'd be shocked if Suppan hasn't passed through waivers many times. Whoever runs the waiver wire probably has either Suppan or Zito in his copy/paste buffer almost constantly.

Maybe we can bribe the Cardinals to take him back

No way. You just know he'd go right back to shutting us down like he used to when we faced him. That was the irony of the contract we gave him. His numbers were artificially inflated from his starts against the Brewers, so by signing him we were basically removing his best handful of starts every year and replacing them with starts against teams he sucks against (every team other than the Brewers).

If he goes, it'd have to be an AL team. Or maybe Japan.

If he goes, it'd have to be an AL team. Or maybe Japan.
Cardinals, the AL, Japan, Tibet, Antarctica, Saturn -- I don't really care. I just want his putrid pitching and his crippling contract somewhere other than Milwaukee ASAP.

Like Briggs said, if any of those guys were capable of bringing draft picks in return someone will offer something of value for them because then that team could get those draft picks. Also, almost anyone drafted in 2008 or 2007 does not have to be on a 40-man roster, and thus could be a PTBNL in a deal to Milwaukee and could be a good player.

As far as Hoffman, he will be a Type A, and I doubt anyone will give up a first for likely one year of him, and I doubt that Hoffman would sign with a non-contender who would only have to give up a 2nd. According to the Fox article he is comfortable in Milwaukee and open to returning, so the odds of him declining arbitration from Milwaukee and someone else signing him are pretty slim. He's probably worth more to Milwaukee next year than to another team in free agency that would have to give up a pick.

As for the others... I think some people place too much value on draft picks. You have to weigh the chances of a draft pick getting hurt (Jones, Rogers), not panning out (Krynzel, Murray, Brewer, Gwynn; Dykstra, Adams, Frederickson, Lintz, and Walla have time to develop but aren't looking good so far), or being stupid (Jeffress), against the known quantity of a player who has a couple of minor league seasons under their belt. While Gallardo was a phenomenal pick, the odds are more likely that a 2nd rounder will be a Murray/Brewer/Dykstra. Sometimes players are more valuable than picks.

Kendall, though... I'd literally take a bag of balls for him. Looper I'd trade too as he at his salary level is replaceable and having an option next year it is either $6M to have him or $500K or whatever not to have him with no compensation. Same with Weathers, as he would probably accept Arby's. Cameron and Lopez will draw interest in the offseason so someone would have to make an offer equal to the value of a sandwich pick to part with either.

If Hall can be DFA'd why not Suppan too? The guy is brutal, pure and simple. Seems like pride is getting in the way here.... and I'm more than a little skeptical about his 'injuries' each of the past two seasons. Pure and simple, he is not a major league pitcher anymore. I don't know how anyone can argue that opinion. He seems like a great guy and a good teammate, but you can't run him out there to kill the team every fifth day solely because of his salary. Cut him loose, admit the mistake and move on. Heck, the Braves even cut a legend like Tom Glavine because he just didn't have it anymore.

because the Brewers have good infield depth but no pitching depth

Exactly, it would be idiotic to release Suppan for nothing and eat his salary, when his roster would be filled by someone worse from AAA, as was the case while he was on the DL.

Exactly, it would be idiotic to release Suppan for nothing and eat his salary, when his roster would be filled by someone worse from AAA, as was the case while he was on the DL.
If Supan has any value, then perhaps a team would be ammenable to paying a few million of his remaining contract in a trade. But I'd be shocked if that happened.

I don't think that it would be tough to replace a pitcher who has given up an OPS of .913. There are dozens of Everitt Stull types floating around out there in AAA that would be better than Suppan. These guys could be had for little or nothing. Heck, I think Matt Kinney is still kicking around somewhere in AAA. I'd rather see him out there.

Wouldn't it have been nice to have Jeff Weaver this year? Could have had him on the cheap, but he was blocked by Soup.

Next spring, this team better have at least 8-10 experienced major league starters in camp (including cheap free agents, non-roster invites, etc.) to see if any stick. It was absolutely idiotic to go into a season depending on two green pitchers like Gallardo and Parra as your #1 and #2 with absolutely no organizational depth in case of injury/ineffectiveness.

I'm sure there won't be a shortage of interested parties with Hoffman, but given the possibility of him being a Type A free agent, I don't think he's going to be dealt unless Melvin can get the Phillies (or anyone else) desperate enough to match the value of the possible 1st/2nd rounder and a sandwich pick. For one month of Hoffman, I can't see another team doing it, though.

"[baseball]'s a stupid game sometimes." -- Ryan Braun

Twitter

Yeah, the Phillies make the most sense. Hoffman would be a real boost to winning the World Series again.

I could see someone else doing it, if they have some blocked prospects and would like the draft picks or Hoffman for 2010, but I don't see much urgency out there.

Robert

Here is the FoxSports link. This part of the article popped out at me, though:

He isn't inclined to be a setup man, likes pitching in Milwaukee and wants to return next year.

That's the first I've heard about Hoffman being interested in coming back, but it's sure nice to hear.

"[baseball]'s a stupid game sometimes." -- Ryan Braun

Twitter

Archived