Brewer Fanatic

Report: Several Brewers put on waivers [Latest: Hoffman claimed by Giants]

AJAY

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The list of available Brewers includes closer Trevor Hoffman, outfielder Mike Cameron, infielder Craig Counsell, catcher Jason Kendall, right-hander Braden Looper and second baseman Felipe Lopez.

Brewers general manager Doug Melvin, however, is disinclined to make trades during the August waiver period, believing that he cannot receive adequate returns.

I could see Counsell being moved, and if not, perhaps Lopez. Hoffman could certainly go, but not sure how much could be expected in return for possibly just a month+ of him.

And I can dream that Kendall will be dealt away.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

I would just deal Kendall for anything if anyone wants him. I'd hope we wouldn't offer him arby since it'd be a no brainer for him to accept. Counsell would garner no compensation and that would clear up a spot for Escobar to play everyday along with Gamel.

I think two comp picks might be better than the return we get for Hoffman.

Cameron and Lopez, I'd listen to offers but wouldn't be inclined to move them since I'd offer both arby after the season.

Well, the strong possibility of Lopez' injury after pulling up lame this evening means Escobar's probably gonna see a lot more playing time regardless of whether Craiggers gets dealt or not. (It obviously puts the kibosh on any deal for Lopez, too.) I'd like to see the hometown guy retire a Brewer, but I can understand if he had to go and I'm sure he would, too. He probably wouldn't mind going for World Series #3, either.

I'd really rather see Cameron here next year as well--top fielder, decent bat, veteran leadership.

Interesting. McCalvy's article says that Melvin seems content to stay put.
Well the other article also says: Brewers general manager Doug Melvin, however, is disinclined to make trades during the August waiver period, believing that he cannot receive adequate returns.

But what do you expect him to say. Obviously he should not trade them if the alternative is better, the McCalvy article also says:

Melvin may be more inclined to hold his free agents, offer some or all of them arbitration after the season and then either bring them back for 2010 or reap Draft compensation should they sign elsewhere.

If they trade Kendall who would they bring up to fill his spot? Salome seems to be hurt again and didn't they just DFA Corporan, so they would either have to bring up Salome or add someone. Unless they want to see what Lucroy has got this September. Or would that really kill his service time?

They should have put guys on waivers weeks ago but this organization stubbornly thought we were still in the race. If we can get better value than the draft picks we should take it with any of the guys listed. As far as Kendall is concerned if some team is stupid enough to claim him I would be happy to just let him go for nothing.

The only guy that the Brewers would think of offering arby to that would bring a draft pick is Lopez. They might like Cameron back but at a rate lower than he'd get in arbitration so I don't think they'll offer him. If Cameron truly has "draft pick value" then someone will offer something of value to get it.

As for not getting anything back, so what? If you want Counsell back next year, wouldn't he be appreciative of a chance at playoff baseball? What is he going to do in a month for the Brewers other than take playing time away from young players? With Gamel and Heether as potential callups and Iribarren, McGehee and Escobar around, why play Counsell?

The only guy that the Brewers would think of offering arby to that would bring a draft pick is Lopez. They might like Cameron back but at a rate lower than he'd get in arbitration so I don't think they'll offer him.

Not only will the Brewers offer Cameron arbitration, but they hope he accepts. Then he's a signed player with a 1 year contract. The risk of losing him is some team might offer him a 2 year deal.

Hoffman is also a no-brainer to offer arbitration. If we we're willing to pay him this amount of money last year, whats changed? I'm far more confident in him for next year than I was in the offseason for this year. Detroit would be a team that would be more than willing to give up a pick to get him to close.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"88.6% of all statistics are made up right there on the spot" Todd Snider

-Posted by the fan formerly known as X ellence. David Stearns has brought me back..

But who is this guy with no mustache that they are calling Doug Melvin

You didn't hear? Doug placed his Stache on waivers yesterday, just hasn't cleared yet. I heard Theo Epstein might claim it, but i would expect Doug to pull it back if that happens(no way could he get decent trade value from Theo).

( '_')

( '_')>⌐■-■

(⌐■-■)

Idle speculation about who could claim the players:

Cameron- I wonder if the Cardinals would claim him. He would be an offensive upgrade over Rasmus.

Hoffman - I don't know if he makes it to the Phillies, but I don't think he would make it past them. I had no idea that Lidge had a 7+ ERA.

Lopez - I wonder if the Dodgers would claim him if he got that far. Furcal has a OPS below 700.

Looper - Just perusing bref, it looks like the Angels may want him.

Counsell - I'm sure he'll get claimed.

Will be interesting to see what Melvin gets offered.

i think its obvious we are outta the race at this point. This team has been terrible of late and things aren't going to do a 180 in just one month even if they did the cardinals would start losing which they won't do. The best thing to do is sell some of these good players that we have. Hoffman, Cameron and Couns could definetly get us something useful in return. We might as well evaluate what we have going into next year and i think they will eventually start to sell.

Archived