Brewer Fanatic

2010 Draft Order

I really hate doing this at this time of year, but since the Brewers appear to be well out of playoff contention, it got me thinking about where they stood for the 2010 draft. I have already been writing some stories over at PG Crosschecker about some of the top players available next year, with the Aflac All-American classic being played last weekend, pretty much the last of the major high school summer showcase/tournament events, and the summer collegiate leagues coming to an end.

Here's the order as it stands today. The Brewers would pick 13th:

1. Nationals

2. Royals

3. Orioles

4. Pirates

5. Padres

6. Reds

7. Indians

8. D-Backs

9. A's

10. Blue Jays

11. Mets

12. Twins

13. Brewers

14. Astros

15. Rangers (for unsigned 1st rounder Matthew Purke)

16. White Sox

17. Cubs

18. Mariners

19. Braves

20. Marlins

21. Tigers

22. Rays

23. Giants

24. Rockies

25. Rangers

26. Cardinals

27. Red Sox

28. Phillies

29. Dodgers

30. Angels

31. Rays (for unsigned first-rounder LeVon Washington)

32. Yankees

I didn't factor in unsigned first-rounder Aaron Crow since he can still sign with the Royals, and I'm assuming that deal with eventually get done.

I think 2010 will be another year that is light on bats. There are some smaller school college guys like Todd Cunningham (Jacksonville State) and Bryce Brentz (Middle Tennessee) that really performed well for the Cape and Team USA this summer that could go a long way in helping to stabilize that talent, but there is no Pedro Alvarez/Justin Smoak/Matt Wieters type of college slugger that is a clear-cut choice for the top 3-5 overall picks. Bryce Harper of course is a name that you're going to hear a lot of between now and next June, similar to Strasburg this year, but I'm not convinced he's as legit. He has 80 power and an 80 arm, and players with one 80 tool are hard enough to find, much less two such tools.

Zack Cox may be the best pure hitter from the college ranks, and he's a draft-eligible true sophomore from Arkansas, but again, not a Pedro Alvarez type of impact player (at least not at this point in time).

There are some good HS bats as well, but at this time, no one like what the '05 draft had to offer at the top (Upton, Maybin, Bruce). I think the talent overall will be similar to this past year, although not as deep with college pitching and left-handed pitchers in particular look to be rather thin on both levels (I don't think there was a single LHP on the Aflac All-American roster). I wrote in a recent article at PG Crosschecker about how special the prep duo of Jameson Taillon and A.J. Cole could be, with Taillon in particular looking very, very impressive this summer.

San Diego's Sammy Solis is my sleeper for the '10 draft. He had a solid freshman year and looked really, really good on the Cape last summer. He was shut down last spring after two starts, but not because of arm problems, and pitches consistently in the 92-93 range with a solid overall repertoire. He's a big lefty, somewhat similar to Brian Matusz, as San Diego has been developing some really good arms the past several years (two of which are in the Brewers system, Josh Romanski and Josh Butler).

• 4 weeks later...
Somewhat of a draft order update, as Tanner Scheppers signed today with the Rangers, as expected. I saw it reported earlier today that Aaron Crow is expected to sign with the Royals in the next day or two, meaning neither one will count towards compensatory picks in the first and supplement first rounds next June.

• 3 weeks later...

Tuesday's AL Central tie-breaker still counts towards the regular season, but here is how the draft order stacks up with the season over (for the most part). The Brewers fit in nicely at #14, as one spot lower would mean they drop two spots given the compensation pick for unsigned '09 first rounder Matthew Purke. Plus, the Brewers can't lose their 2010 first rounder should they sign a Type A FA this offseason.

1. Nationals (.364) 2nd year in a row holding the first overall pick; only the Rays have done this before, in 2007-08

2. Pirates (.385)

3. Orioles (.395)

4. Royals (.401)

5. Indians (.401)

6. D-Backs (.432)

7. Mets (.432)

8. Astros (.457)

9. Padres (.463)

10. A's (.463)

11. Blue Jays (.463)

12. Reds (.481)

13. White Sox (.488)

14. Brewers (.494)

15. Rangers (unsigned '09 first rounder Matthew Purke)

16. Cubs (.516)

17. Rays (.519)

18. Mariners (.525)

19. Twins/Tigers (.528)

20. Braves (.531)

21. Tigers/Twins (.534)

22. Rangers (.537)

23. Marlins (.537)

24. Giants (.543)

25. Cardinals (.562)

26. Rockies (.568)

27. Phillies (.574)

28. Dodgers (.586)

29. Red Sox (.586)

30. Angels (.599)

31. Rays (unsigned '09 first rounder LeVon Washington)

32. Yankees (.636)

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
Brewers hopefully will stack up on Pitching,we need all the arms we can get into the system .

I have to say, I'm getting pretty excited and one more draft in which we add several high cieling type arms coupled with another season of progression from all our young arms(with realitively good luck health and...err....herb wise) we could be the envy of most farm systems with regard to pitching.

Ironic since all anyone can talk about right now or last year is the dearth of viable pitching prospects at the upper level.

A few more Eric Arnett types, maybe another Del Howell here, a Brooks Hall there......with the really good arms we've got now all the way up to AA things should really start to turn around in that regard.

Icbj86c-"I'm not that enamored with Aaron Donald either."

• 1 month later...

Latest draft order linked from mlbtraderumors. Pretty close to what has been speculated, but what intrigues me is that the Angles have 5 of the first 40 overall picks right now--wow

edit--Brewers at 14, 62 and 94 out of the first 100

First Round

1. Nationals
  2. Pirates
  3. Orioles
  4. Royals
  5. Indians
  6. Diamondbacks
  7. Mets
  8. Astros
  9. Padres
  10. Athletics
  11. Blue Jays
  12. Reds
  13. White Sox
  14. Brewers
  15. Rangers (for failure to sign '09 first rounder Matt Purke)
  16. Cubs
  17. Rays
  18. Angels (from Mariners for Type-A Chone Figgins)
  19. Astros (from Tigers for Type-A Jose Valverde)
  20. Red Sox (from Braves for Type-A Billy Wagner)
  21. Twins
  22. Rangers
  23. Marlins
  24. Giants
  25. Cardinals
  26. Rockies
  27. Phillies
  28. Dodgers
  29. Angels (from Red Sox for Type-A John Lackey)
  30. Angels
  31. Rays (for failure to sign '09 first rounder LeVon Washington
  32. Yankees
Everything I've ever known, I've learned from Brewerfan.net....Seriously though

Archived