Brewer Fanatic

The Real Casey McGehee?

Don't look now but McGehee has struggled quite a bit since the AS break. I know this is a small sample (72 AB), but his "breakout" this spring was only 140 AB. Casey still has a very solid .298/.360/.491/.851 but the splits before/after the AS break are pretty significant. I realize also that he's also been battling injuries

1st Half .329/.387/.541/.928 146 AB 17 Extra Base hits

2nd Half .236/.304/.389/.693 72 5 Extra Base hits

I don't really like injury excuses though. Weeks was having a breakout year, but basically he's been injured every season. Its not like the Brewers weren't giving him ABs, he just keeps taking himself off the field.

That's a rather disingenuous statement saying Weeks keeps taking himself off the field as though he could simply tough out his injury or somehow prevent it.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
I like McGehee but I have a feeling he was playing over his head in the first half. He never put up huge numbers in the minors. I'd be surprised if at age 26 (or 27 whatever he is) that he suddenly becomes Mr. Awesome. He's a decent player but I hope the braintrust isn't counting on him to get an .850 OPS next year or anything.
"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

McGehee reminds me of a Keith Ginter or Shea Hillebrand in that when he makes contact, it's often hit very hard. But he doesn't draw a lot of walks. He's a solid player, but not great. In September, he'd better not take any at bats from Gamel. McGehee's role may be as a great super-sub where he can play 4 days a week without a huge dropoff between 3b, 2b, PH, and--yes, to make Clancy happy--catcher

I'm glad Casey has been so good this year (overall), but I, like others, hope the team isn't penciling him to a starting position next season. If the right trade comes up, they need to do it. I think there's too many red flags on him to be sure he will be this productive next season and beyond.
The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

I've said it before and still believe that McGehee is probably the team's best "sell high" candidate, considering that he's both at the peak of his value right now and also at an expendable position. Hope that some other team thinks his performance this year wasn't a fluke and move him.

Casey McGehee = Joe Dillon?

I would imagine McGehee is significantly hurt. Otherwise, he would be playing almost every day.

I hope this is the true reason. Otherwise you can throw me on the Fire Macha bandwagon.

I don't think he has any trade value yet. He is Joe Dillon or Keith Ginter. Or Wes Helms of the Future.

McGehee is a nice player, but is probably hitting a bit over his head, based on his AAA numbers. That said, he's also playing at less than 100%.

By the way, Gamel has struggled mightily. He's not coming up and playing every day in September. He may have lost his chance to start in 2010 without hitting in AAA for a couple months first.

The real McGehee is probably a .340/.440/.780 hitter, I may be overvaluing his strong 2009 though, given his minor league numbers. He probably is a competent fielder when healthy, so he is most definitely an asset at his price if he can just get around 350-400 PA a year playing utility.

By the way, Gamel has struggled mightily. He's not coming up and playing every day in September. He may have lost his chance to start in 2010 without hitting in AAA for a couple months first.

This is a great point...and while it goes against what I said earlier, may make them keep McGehee around as insurance.

The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

McGehee reminds me of a Keith Ginter or Shea Hillebrand in that when he makes contact, it's often hit very hard. But he doesn't draw a lot of walks. He's a solid player, but not great. In September, he'd better not take any at bats from Gamel. McGehee's role may be as a great super-sub where he can play 4 days a week without a huge dropoff between 3b, 2b, PH, and--yes, to make Clancy happy--catcher
Ginter fanned a lot more than McGehee So far he's walked at a much higher rate than Hillenbrand, but even if he's Hillenbrand, I'll take it. Hillenbrand was a productive hitter. McGehee makes solid contact a lot because he swings at good pitches to hit whether it's the first pitch (he's hitting .413 and slugging .870 on the 1st pitch) or the 5th. He doesn't take cookies to "work the count" nor does he doesn't expand the zone. There are spots in the batting order where I want aggressive hitters like McGehee.

He's also not a "Sell High" guy yet. His value has risen, but not anywhere near the level it would be if he kept up his current numbers over 3 or 400 more AB's.

His value has risen, but not anywhere near the level it would be if he kept up his current numbers over 3 or 400 more AB's.

True, but the bet would be that he won't actually sustain his numbers over 300-400 more AB's, that's the point of trading him.

Community Moderator
Last Sunday McGehee was wincing in pain in the Brewers dugout after running the bases. The Brewers aren't talking much about his injury so maybe it isn't that bad, but I think it's significantly hampering his abilities and they should consider putting him on the DL or shutting him down for the season.

The real McGehee is probably a .340/.440/.780 hitter

And this is why it still burns me up that he was allowed to block Gamel. What was gained? He was played enough that his knee wore down... so now our top hitting prospect has his confidence completely erased, all so a journeyman can get a few more ABs, and said journeyman is injured to the point of needing major surgery in the offseason. Awesome.

He's also not a "Sell High" guy yet. His value has risen, but not anywhere near the level it would be if he kept up his current numbers over 3 or 400 more AB's

I think it's safe to say his high BABIP had a ton to do with his early season success, and not just "centering on the ball". More playing time & his numbers have leveled off, exactly like many on this forum predicted.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

i wonder what type of # Casey would put up if he Knee is healthy.
That is exactly what I was wondering in the first response to this post. Reguardless of if he is doing better/worse than projected, I am interested to see what he could do in a full season healthy.

Gamel will be a stud. Give him time

I would agree that McGehee might be a great sell high candidate, but I'm concerned that it might be tough to get good value for him coming off surgery. Most of the teams that need a 2B or 3B have good pitching, and migt be willing to part with a young starting pitcher for a healthy McGehee, but an injured McGehee makes the situation more cloudy.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"88.6% of all statistics are made up right there on the spot" Todd Snider

-Posted by the fan formerly known as X ellence. David Stearns has brought me back..

To debate myself, Gamel has come back nicely since his terrible July. I would probably still have Gamel open '10, but have Casey right there for protection and to set him up for success.

He has come back. I was going to comment on your original post -- he's been pretty hot the past two weeks or so with an OPS of 1.036. I don't think Gamel has hindered his chance at opening 2010 as the 3B. Since we're more or less out of it, I'd much rather let him start everyday in September and see what he can do. July was a bad month for him, but let's see how he finishes the season before writing him off as the opening day 3B next year.

I think that Casey should be our new-old Billy Hall. Gamel should be given the 3rd base job next year with Casey being our super sub. I generally don't trust players who haven't rung up consecutive excellent years, so I wouldn't be surpised at all if Casey tanked completely next year.

I've no problem with Casey being our new super-sub ala Bill Hall, I love his approach at the plate and I think he can flat out hit, just so long as Melvin doesn't sign him to a long term multi year contract if Casey hits 25-30 HR's next season. Because that would fit in with Melvin's pennant race killin' MO. (Actually I hope Melvin is gone after this season, but thats another thread)

Archived