Brewer Fanatic

Steve Stone quote; need help understanding what it means

homer
Brewer Fanatic Contributor

On Chicago sports radio, Steve Stone just said this in regards to successful managers (and this is verbatim):

"There's a correlation between success rate and winning."

Can someone please interpret this for me?

The context of the discussion was about common threads between successful managers (i.e. Torre, Cox, Larusa, etc.).

"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

I think it means he has found some evidence that somehow links successful managers, or at least ones that we view as successful, with winning baseball games. I dont know how he can prove it though, this is some pretty earth breaking research I am sure. Check Fangraphs or Baseball Prospectus, see if they are aware of this formula.

So, let me get this straight. Successful managers win more games compared to unsuccessful managers. Brilliant!

That's the issue. "Successful" and "winning" are pretty much synonymous. Of course there's a correlation.

That’s the only thing Chicago’s good for: to tell people where Wisconsin is.

[align=right]-- Sigmund Snopek[/align]

I have to agree that winning managers are smarter than losing managers. They were smart enough to take a job with a good team.
Right on. All you have to do is listen to Buck Showalter talk baseball on BBTN and wonder how in the world he ever won Manager of the Year.....twice!!

I think what he was going for is that a baseball manager is judged more on how the team does then on his coaching abilities. For example, Joe Torre was seen as a horrible manager before he went to the Yankees and had a teams full of future/present HOFs. Being a baseball manager is the the most over rated coaching position in any sport, it is all dependent on the talent you have. You have better talent, you are a better manager.

Translation: I was once a well respected analyst, but all this time in the booth with that blithering imbecile Hawk Harrelson has reduced me to incoherent babble.

don't forget the years with Harry Carey, either. While probably a lot of fun, I'm sure there was a LOT of eye-rolling by Stone in the booth as well.

- - - - - - - - -

P.I.T.C.H. LEAGUE CHAMPION 1989, 1996, 1999, 2000, 2006, 2007, 2011 (finally won another one)

Yeah, that's some terrible English there.

Although, to be fair, he was talking about success in managing personalities and getting through to players. The thought was more along the lines of "there's a correlation between making a player behave professionally and winning".

Robert

Archived