Brewer Fanatic

Link Report for Fri. 8/21 -- Let's Play Nine!

Mass Haas
Brewer Fanatic Staff

Link while active, text follows:

Rattlers' batters get silent treatment from Kernels pitchers

By Cory Jennerjohn

Post-Crescent staff writer

GRAND CHUTE - Tyler Chatwood is kryptonite to the Wisconsin Timber Rattlers.

The Cedar Rapids righty kept the Timber Rattlers guessing Friday as the Kernels posted a 4-1 Midwest League victory at Fox Cities Stadium.

"He threw his breaking ball for strikes," said Cedar Rapids manager Bill Mosiello. "That's one of his problems once in awhile is he doesn't throw his breaking ball for strikes."

Chatwood struck out six in his prescribed 100-pitch limit, which amounted to 6 2/3 innings. The 2008 second-round draft choice hasn't been scored on against Wisconsin in 18 1/3 innings he has faced them this season.

"I had no idea about that," Chatwood said. "Everything was working tonight. Threw curveballs for a strike and my fastball played off that."

And when you've got a heater that touched 94 mph several times, keeping batters off balance is pretty easy.

"It always helps to have a little bit of that in the tank," said Chatwood.

The Rattlers were so off balance that they didn't get a hit that reached the outfield grass until Erik Komatsu laced a line drive to left with two outs in the seventh.

"It's pretty tough," said Wisconsin first baseman Corey Kemp, who went zero-for-three against Chatwood. "It's a combination you don't see very often. You see a lot of fastball-slider combinations and his 12-6 curveball is pretty unique. People mistake it for being loopy but it's pretty hard and it's got a lot of good bite."

Chatwood's has crippled the Timber Rattlers with a 3-0 record against them, but he has been far less effective against the rest of the Midwest League with just a 3-7 mark.

"He is his own worst enemy when things go bad sometimes," Mosiello said. "It snowballs and luckily tonight, he kept some poise and made some big pitches in a couple tough innings."

Chatwood retired the first nine batters before giving up Wisconsin's first base hit - an infield single by leadoff hitter Josh Prince -- in the fourth on a shot deep in the hole at shortstop.

"When I get in the zone, I feel like I can put the ball anywhere I want to and that helps," Chatwood said.

Archived