Brewer Fanatic

Anyone enjoying themselves?

greeg35
the Brewers really need to focus on their 2010 Pitching Rotation and hopefully will be able to add a Quality Pitcher.These brewers Play for the most part June thru August has made watching the Bewers hard to watch.I think if they don't add a quality arm then They will be in for another long season.I think this is a vert important Off season for the Brewers and the Front Office.

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not to be the nay say-er, but I predicted bad things for this team on this site before the season started. And suggested this would be DM's last year because to the state of pitching in the organization.

I'm not enjoying myself because I don't know what the direction of the team is. Any chance we had to sell players is past us. And questions remain about the method of acquiring pitching. I get the impression, being competitive and not going for a championship is a goal that makes the most business sense in the mind of Mark A. We as fans will always think there is a chance because of the 05 Cardinals, when realistically it's rare. However, that could backfire if the fan base wants more than a club that hovers around .500. Take Braun or Fielder out of the lineup, and you instantly have problems on the offensive side. So trading either shouldn't be an option IMO.

2.8 was the apparent break even point with an 80M payroll. Is 2.8M in attendance attainable if they trot a similar team out there next year? I doubt it.

My guess is if they keep DM, he'll do his best to acquire bottom of the rotation SP with the Hart, Hardy, and McGehee's, fill the bullpen with reclamation projects and point to several factors of why the Brewers were unsuccessful this season, but shouldn't of been.

Alas, we will still be mathematically alive in August 2010.

Things uglier than the Brewers' pitching this season:

http://kamaladolphinkingsley.com/otisblog/images/sam-ugliest-dog-web.jpg

http://www.ugliestdogs.net/sitebuilder/images/ShowLetter_1_-465x309.jpg

http://sportsmaven.files.wordpress.com/2007/09/cubs-win-9-28-07.jpg

http://www.totalprosports.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2009/05/brett-favre-rumored-to-the-vikings.jpg

I had a little bit of fun doing that, so I guess in that sense I'm still enjoying myself.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

2.8 was the apparent break even point with an 80M payroll. Is 2.8M in attendance attainable if they trot a similar team out there next year? I doubt it.

I think the attendance is more dependent on the previous year's success than the team put on the field. So on that note it doesn't matter who is trotted out as much as how the team finishes. A strong finish probably helps the attendance next year.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

This is a great way to circumvent the vent thread rules.
Vent threads generally lack thoughtful posts, so I would not say this has been a 'vent thread.' If the number of brief posts that are short on substance increases, then it'll head toward lockable.

The overall experience of the 2008 season was, for me, resoundingly the best of my 27 seasons of Brewer fandom - obviously mostly for the on-field results, but for a host of off-field reasons too. Enough changed in the 2008-2009 offseason (both on and off the field, as well as in my non-baseball life) so that I entered the 2009 season figuring that 2008 would be hard to top. Some of the personal factors have interfered with my ability to participate in this site as often as I'd like.

The less-than-competitive pitching is difficult to behold - and I've been to 22 games, with 8 to go, so I've seen my share of ugliness in person - but I haven't personally gotten a feeling that the Brewers are quitting (as I sometimes did in the early 2000s). Going to Miller Park, and before that County Stadium, for an evening or an afternoon is still among my very favorite things to do. If "too many" losses were enough to change my mind, I'd have given up in 1984.

Obviously it's more of a letdown when comparing the Brewers' current state to how most of us felt this time last year, and (for me) observing the annual media shift to football - but it won't deter me from attending and following games, and participating here when I can. September 27 will be a sad day for me, because it'll signal six months of no Brewers, as is the case with the last game of any season. I hope the 2010 schedule is released in September, so I can launch right into planning our trips for next year.

Honestly, if anything has become difficult for me to enjoy, it's the increase in angry and often repetitive posts that have cropped up in many places on this message board. One thing that attracted me to Brewerfan years ago was the synergy (as much as I hate to use a buzzword) of die-hard fans rooting together for the Crew. Too often now it feels like optimist-vs-pessimist around here (I use the terms loosely, as I consider myself a hopeful fan, rather than a full optimist). That antagonism makes it less fun to hang out here, but again, I have no problem setting that aside when I go to a game.

So, I guess I'm kind of enjoying myself, by now.

Remember: the Brewers never panic like you do.

Honestly, if anything has become difficult for me to enjoy, it's the increase in angry and often repetitive posts that have cropped up in many places on this message board.

I agree. This season in and of itself hasn't been to hard to enjoy. Brewer baseball is great. We only get 162 games a year.

This forum is getting more and more difficult to enjoy. I don't particularity enjoy negativity for the most part, but there is negativity with thought and straight out venting. More and more posts are becoming of the venting variety. I understand that in specific game threads. I just expect a little more from this forum.

This season is a letdown because I thought we would at least be in playoff competition.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

2010 should be fun. The Brewers do not usually have the best 3-4 hitters in the league. A couple of fortunate SP acquisitions could turn into a good staff. It doesn't take great pitching to produce an eighty-some win playoff team. If Mark A goes cutthroat and hires a new GM that would be interesting too. If all else fails there will be good seat selection.

We've all had plenty of lean years as Brewers fans, but at least now when we say "Wait 'til next year" we actually mean it. They won't always win and the years like '82 & '08 are too few and far between, but it's not a hopeless cause. There were far too many years when it was. So this year stunk, meh, I've still got the Harvey's Wallbangers DVD, that Cubs game from last year on my DVR and I will soon be counting the days until Pitchers and Catchers report. In the meantime, how sweet was that homer by Alcides today?!?

Well at least the bandwagon will be getting much better gas mileage now that people are off it. The Brewers are Eco Friendly. Like the lean years, my watching has focused on player development instead of pure wins/loses.

Pretty nice. I hope he had more luck with procuring the HR ball than Chris Coghlan did.

Guy who caught it threw it to a guy in the Brewers' bullpen, no questions asked. I'm not even sure if he asked for another ball from the bullpen in return.

That's great to hear about Alcides' ball. There really are a lot of good Brewers fans out there.

I agree there has been a lot of negativity on here of late, but that is sort of to be expected when a team nosedives like this one has. At least it should be a very interesting off-season, like some have alluded to. I expect some big changes to happen in regards to the Brewers.

The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

they said on the TV broadcast yesterday that the entire bullpen signed a ball in exchange for the Escobar HR ball.

That's awesome.

I am not sure why the BP felt the need to deface an entirely good ball though -- but it is great that Escobar got his ball back, w/o being held over a barrel.

I am not sure why the BP felt the need to deface an entirely good ball though

A new major league ball is worth, what?, $9...so after being signed by our bullpen it's worth probably $3.95.

The guy should have said "just have Hoffman sign it, the rest of you keep your worthless names off it". http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif

A new major league ball is worth, what?, $9...so after being signed by our bullpen it's worth probably $3.95.

So how much would that make a ball signed by the starting rotation worth? I would imagine once people saw that ball, they would all run away screaming in horror. A team of men in bio-hazard suits would have to come retrieve the ball, and it would need to be disposed of by being shot into deep space.

I am definitely still watching with enjoyment, at least in the half inning where the team bats. That said, when the team is this far out of it, I find myself lingering a little longer on the other stuff that's on (i.e. 2009 WSOP) before I switch back. It is especially interesting seeing Fielder make a run at the League RBI Leader and HR charts. I also enjoy seeing whether McGeehee and Escobar can succeed so that we have some hope for next year at 3B/2B and SS.

I enjoyed Monday night's "rally chat," which I'd like to think played some small role in the Brewers' 9th inning comeback. Yes, it would have been even more fun had the Brewers won, but the chat room banter was great.
Remember: the Brewers never panic like you do.

Archived