Brewer Fanatic

Lucroy and Salome in 2010

wibadgers23
Why not stick Salome in the outfield? If the Crew is going to lose Cameron, how about going with Braun in left, Hart in center, and Salome in right?

I wonder how bad in baseball history that defensive outfield would rank. It would certainly be the worst next year, but worst of the decade? I would think so.

• Replies 228
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Leave Gamel out there and sign another outfielder, there's plenty to go around and leaving the catchers to catch. And angel actually does have good speed, he lost some when he broke his ankle but he's going to get it back as he has begun working with our track guys, Ed Lovelace and Kevin Young, he'll be flying again!!!! "Coach"

Doug Melvin was on the Big Show and stated that Lucroy will get the chance to be the Brewers everyday catcher in 2010. Also said that Salome needs another year in the Minors.
Robin Yount - “But what I'd really like to tell you is I never dreamed of being in the Hall of Fame. Standing here with all these great players was beyond any of my dreams.”

Doug Melvin was on the Big Show and stated that Lucroy will get the chance to be the Brewers everyday catcher in 2010. Also said that Salome needs another year in the Minors.
I wonder if Melvin will bring in another catcher as a insurance policy. I am big Lucroy fan but I would want someone a little better than Rivera as his backup in case he struggles. Lucroy is having a great fall but having not played above AA it makes me a little nervous to have him penciled in as our starting catcher.

When did he say that? I had lunch with Angel today, he looks great, his head is in the right place and he's ready. You'll see a different guy next year and I dont know how you start a guy from AA as your ML catcher without him having any time in AAA. Time will tell. "Coach"

When did he say that? I had lunch with Angel today, he looks great, his head is in the right place and he's ready. You'll see a different guy next year and I dont know how you start a guy from AA as your ML catcher without him having any time in AAA. Time will tell. "Coach"
Doug Melvin was on the Big show today. There might be a link to the interview. I will try to find it. He said that there have been many young catchers that make a successful jump from AA to the Majors. It isn't uncommon. He said he wasn't looking for a temp Catcher. Lucroy is the Catcher
Robin Yount - “But what I'd really like to tell you is I never dreamed of being in the Hall of Fame. Standing here with all these great players was beyond any of my dreams.”

I wonder if Melvin will bring in another catcher as a insurance policy. I am big Lucroy fan but I would want someone a little better than Rivera as his backup in case he struggles. Lucroy is having a great fall but having not played above AA it makes me a little nervous to have him penciled in as our starting catcher.
What about Torrealba? He just got bought out.

link

Thanks for the tip PrinceFielderx1, and thanks for the link, linkmaster Mass.

Just to be clear, Melvin didn't say that Lucroy will get the chance, but that he will be seriously considered for the chance. A couple of his quotes were along the lines of "we are going to seriously consider him," and "we probably will seriously look at Lucroy." That's a big heap of praise, but he hasn't been handed the job, yet.

TOUCHE! Give the kids a chance in Spring training and keep your organization back ups as that. Dont know how Lucroy will do although he looks pretty good NOW, but Angel is on a mission and he looks great and is taking every step to make sure he is free of injuries and ready to catch 140 games in the big leagues. From my view he is ready to go and will only get better this winter. "Coach"

Agreed, but Angel WILL HIT that is for sure, maybe after a slow transition, but his defense will be just fine. His arm is lethal and we're working on getting everything in line to get it's potency into something that can translated into throwing guys out. He does cal a good game and he blocks great despite his reputation, and pitchers love to throw to him, he's a bull dog leader. Give him a chance, he's also a personable, good guy who works his butt off. I hope everything falls into place for him to show you all how good he can be. In a few weeks when I get my other hand back (the cast just came off, I'll take a picture of his 21 inch biceps and pass it on) "Coach"

I'll try to get him to "pose", but that can be difficult (LOL). The problem is I have to wait until my hand is OK to take the pictures then I need some help on how to get them on the site. Hopefully soon, within the next few weeks though. Im glad Lucroy is doing well, should be an interesting off season and subsequent Spring. I know we wil be one of the top, if not the number one team in the country this year with our usual arsenal and now sporting 4 90+ or close anyway guys and Mariano in the pen. We'll be an interesting follow, and the beauty is 2012 will have 3 draft picks so we'll be great for a few more. Anyway, stay warm and keep baseball in your heart, dreams and life. "Coach"

New quotes from Melvin.

Doug Melvin said he was "starting to feel comfortable" with the idea of catching prospect Jonathan Lucroy at least sharing the position next season.

"I know it's a big jump from Double-A to the big leagues but a lot of catchers have done it," said Melvin. "Russell Martin did it with the Dodgers, Chris Snyder in Arizona, Kurt Suzuki with Oakland.

"Jason Kendall did it, too."

"I like Jason," said Melvin. "He's good in the clubhouse, works well with the pitchers. I assume he's going to want to play a lot of games again.

"We paid $5 million for that position in the past. I don't know if we can do that again."

"I talked to Salome the other day," said Melvin. "He said he's working hard and he's going to come to camp and prove to us that he can play in the big leagues. We do have two good, young catchers."
Link

"I like Jason," said Melvin. "He's good in the clubhouse, works well with the pitchers. I assume he's going to want to play a lot of games again.

"We paid $5 million for that position in the past. I don't know if we can do that again."

http://img2.travelblog.org/Photos/4572/108466/t/802524-Jump-for-Joy-0.jpg

I don't think it takes too much reading between the lines to see that Melvin is saying Kendall will not be back for 2010. We're freeeeeee!

One other thing I'm starting to think is that all this talk about Lucroy jumping into the starting role for the Brewers is just to inflate Lucroy's value in trade. Is it possible the front office actually views Salome better, and is downplaying him somewhat in order to trumpet the guy they want to trade?

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

Archived