Brewer Fanatic

Lucroy and Salome in 2010

wibadgers23
Beyond sitting behind Lee & Jenks, Hart also couldn't get PT ahead of Kevin freaking Mench for a while. I think you're right that it's not necessarily a trend, though.

Yes, you're correct, but part of the outrage there is the hindsight.

Lets think back to the time when Hart started out the first 4-6 weeks hitting about .195 and Mench actually started out that year hitting very well.

So while now it looks painfully obvious and like a mistake on the Brewers part, and frankly, it was, at the time it wasn't anything but obvious.

So while I realize this isn't your point by any means, there is just this rush to kinda jump on the Brewers for a lot of little things. Obviously not a big deal one way or the other.......

Icbj86c-"I'm not that enamored with Aaron Donald either."

• Replies 228
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Understood on the mental aspect. I still don't want to see a full year's service time given to a young player/catcher & only see him make 60-70 starts. Just a different approach, I guess.

As for the ideal situation: I'd love to see the Brewers keep both guys in the org., but at some point their shared position & basically shared age means the Brewers would likely do best to move one of them. I'd rather turn one of them into a useful player or players at different positions than see one become the other's backup. But again, I'm not complaining. I'm really excited to see how both of these guys do in 2010.

Ok, I guess if we have two guys who can become legit stars, I'm all for trading one and letting one stay.

However my fear is we're going to prematurely trade one of them and end up with the Salty rather than the McCann. I liked how the Braves did it. You brought them along, everyone questioned who would do what, then when you felt good about one and the other still had some value, you made the move and dumped Salty to Texas..(and without Salty that trade doesn't get made IMO as he was the centerpiece).

So I guess in the end I agree with you, I simply differ on the timeline I believe we should use in evaluating which one to keep and which to trade.

Icbj86c-"I'm not that enamored with Aaron Donald either."

Beyond sitting behind Lee & Jenks, Hart also couldn't get PT ahead of Kevin freaking Mench for a while. I think you're right that it's not necessarily a trend, though.

Yes, you're correct, but part of the outrage there is the hindsight.

Lets think back to the time when Hart started out the first 4-6 weeks hitting about .195 and Mench actually started out that year hitting very well.

So while now it looks painfully obvious and like a mistake on the Brewers part, and frankly, it was, at the time it wasn't anything but obvious.

So while I realize this isn't your point by any means, there is just this rush to kinda jump on the Brewers for a lot of little things. Obviously not a big deal one way or the other.......

Except thats not what happened. Hart had a slight injury but came back to hit .333 to start 2006. Yost promised Mench he wouldn't sit in spring training. And Hardy was also handled poorly when brought up.

Archived