Brewer Fanatic

Lucroy and Salome in 2010

wibadgers23

There's been some talk of this lately, but I thought it deserved its own thread. Just curious as to where everybody thinks Lucroy and Salome will open play in 2010. I can't possibly see Lucroy repeating AA, but at the same time won't be splitting playing time with Salome in AAA. Is one of the two a lock for back-up catcher in Milwaukee? Could you see Lucroy by-passing AAA and going right to Milwaukee (and at the same time letting Salome work on his defense more in AAA), or is that an unreasonable thought?

• Replies 228
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Not unreasonable at all to think Lucroy could jump from AA to the majors. My thought was to have Rivera, Salome, and Lucroy all come to camp next year and battle for the two positions on the big league roster. Unless Rivera gets injured, he would almost be assured of one of the two spots. The odd man out could be sent to AAA. It's not going to turn any heads, but it will provide a cheap position at the major league level.

I don't see why our brass would all of a sudden jump Lucroy over Salome. He may well be the better prospect, and very easily may be the better defender and game caller too. But I'll be shocked if Lucroy is in the majors and Salome is in AAA next season.

In all liklihood, Lucroy is our AAA catcher. And I believe we go with Salome and Rivera in the majors this year, especially after our freefall screams that more cheap, young talent is needed in our lineup to enable us to spend on pitching.

I don't think either one is ready for the big leagues, and I would hate to lose either one via trade since good catching is so hard to find. I wouldn't mind seeing both splitting time between the catcher and DH (when the DH is an option of course), and possibly even first base, with Nashville just to make sure both are as ready as they can be when they are finally called upon.

It is a very interesting situation, because I think most of us know (or at least I hope so) that the big-league team needs a significant improvement at the position. But that may not happen internally until the 2011 season, when maybe both of them represent both the starter and the backup.

I think it's fair to say that neither has shown definite signs they are ready to excel at the MLB level right away next year, but their minor league translations are good enough to suggest that they can outhit Kendall by a fair margin right away. So in the end it's hard for me to see how it is a better call to throw some extra money at a catcher off the free agent market, who at best is likely to be only a modest improvement over the best guess of what Salome or Lucroy can give you. There are just so many other needs that we don't have an in house option right now that makes us better for next year I don't see it as a good use of money. And then you factor in the likelihood that if you start Lucroy and Salome in AAA at least one of them is likely to do well enough by midyear to make a case for just jettisoning (or letting him block) a catcher who is ready.

I think the solution is simple. They both catch in AAA next year. Salome starts all the games he's healthy for, and Lucroy starts the rest, which gives Lucroy about 2/3s of the starts.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"88.6% of all statistics are made up right there on the spot" Todd Snider

-Posted by the fan formerly known as X ellence. David Stearns has brought me back..

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
Seeing Salome at 1st base would be kind of funny.
"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

I'm not advocating a trade, I just think that is what will happen. Before I heard about Salome's finger, I felt that he was as good as gone. But knowing he has been injured this season clouds that picture a bit.

I think both at AAA is a mistake. Seems like most are under the impression that as long as they are hitting in every game, its fine. But I haven't heard anyone state that their catching is MLB ready yet. I think Lucroy has a better shot at making the MLB roster (as zzz stated) just because he seems (based on other people's opinions) to be ahead in the defense department.

Both of them should be starting at least 2/3s of their games at catcher to keep their defensive development going, whether its at AA, AAA, or MLB.

i know most of you guys think Lucroy is just "the man" but despite all the "opportunities" that have presented themselves in recent years...Salome is still with the Brewers, so I just don't think Lucroy jumps him by default, or it probably already would've happened. I agree with the idea that they both fight for a spot in the spring...but I still don't think with Lucroy having 1/2 of a decent year from the batters box in AA, makes him superior to Salome. I just don't think Lucroy is that great of a hitter...but of course, the Crew has proven that is NOT a requirement to be the starting catcher, so maybe Lucroy wins the battle IF his behind the plate skills truly are superior....I guess we will see in the spring!

Brewers DFA'd Corporan. Think Lucroy will get a bump?
"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

There's a thread in the Major League forum -- Jesus Colome to DL, Chris Narveson called back up, Corporan removed from the 40-man to make room for Narveson since he was DFA'd himself earlier this year.

Here's the report from TH.

"[baseball]'s a stupid game sometimes." -- Ryan Braun

Twitter

If Lucroy has to be added to the 40-man after the season, I'd add him in September and call both him and Salome up. At the Brewers current pace, they know what they have in Kendall and Rivera, but need to learn what they have in Salome and Lucroy. A few starts each, and they can not only see how they hit, but get pitcher feedback regarding their poise.

I still would be tempted to let both split time next year. The only reason not to is because of arby clocks. But I would compare it to how Snyder and Montero split time with the Dbacks until Montero's offense clearly surpassed Snyder's.

• 1 month later...
Brewer Fanatic Staff

McCalvy's Blog:

Assistant GM Gord Ash conceded that it's difficult for teams to win with unproven players up the middle but insisted it can be done. He mentioned Lorenzo Cain and Logan Schafer as the team's top center field prospects and said Jonathan Lucroy was the team's top catching prospect.

Interestingly, Angel Salome's name was not brought up.

McCalvy's Blog:

Assistant GM Gord Ash conceded that it's difficult for teams to win with unproven players up the middle but insisted it can be done. He mentioned Lorenzo Cain and Logan Schafer as the team's top center field prospects and said Jonathan Lucroy was the team's top catching prospect.

Interestingly, Angel Salome's name was not brought up.

I am not surprised that Lucroy is now ahead of Salome. Defensively Lucroy is better than Salome and with the bat Lucroy is behind Salome but Lucroy's defense doesn't kill his offensive value compared to Salome where his defense could nearly kill all of his offensive value.

I'm not sure it would be a good idea though to bring up Lucroy to the MLB level even if he does have a great spring. If he flounders in MLB or doesn't get much playing time with the Brewers that could really hurt his development. I would rather Corporan be the backup catcher next year with Rivera getting the majority of the starts.

It could be an oversight, but I have to think they are wondering if Angel's frame will allow him to catch 120 games a year.
I'm curious what you mean by this? Angel's frame is short and muscular. His height shouldn't be a detriment while catching. I realize he has had some durability issues, but just curious what about his frame is a negative at catcher?

Brewer Fanatic Staff
I would rather Corporan be the backup catcher next year with Rivera getting the majority of the starts.
Appreciate your comments, but that scenario had better be a worst-case. A real worst-case.

It wouldn't surprise me to see Corporan sign again with the Brewers, but he's due to become a minor league free agent and his agent would be foolish to not wait and see who comes calling. Corporan will be 26 in January, and his defensive skills could be attractive to any number of organizations at the AAA level. Carlos is going to make a nice living in baseball, even if it's on negotiated six-figure AAA deals for the next ten years, even if he never sees the majors again.

Archived