Brewer Fanatic

2009-08-19 Brewers (Gallardo) at Pittsburgh (Maholm) : 6:05 PM CT [Brewers lose, 3-1]

Getting swept by the Pirates is about as bad as it gets.
Part of me wants to say, "hush, look where they're going next." http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/frown.gif

Jason Bourgeois had a nice catch in the 6th or so. One highlight worth checking out. That's about all I've got.

Remember: the Brewers never panic like you do.

Well, I'm officially counting the Brewers out for 2009. Whatever measures can be taken to improve 2010 should be taken. I don't know what can be done at this point, but the Brewers need to stop with the stubborn "win now" mentality, especially with Gallardo or Parra - don't overwork the guy when it's completely unnecessary. I don't want to call the Brewers the worst team in the league but they just got swept by one of them. They are horrendous right now.

It doesn't say much that I fell asleep during the middle innings, even though that was 5-6 pm here in the West.

Can't wait for the day off.

- - - - - - - - -

P.I.T.C.H. LEAGUE CHAMPION 1989, 1996, 1999, 2000, 2006, 2007, 2011 (finally won another one)

*sigh* I was going to predict a 3-2 or 2-1 loss tonight. This season has been going down the wrong track for a while, but now it has completely derailed. The only thing to keep track of now is the progress of guys like Escobar and my bet with FTJ.

At what point does Yovanni get a new nickname. Ben Gallardo, Yovanni Sheets, or little Ben. These losses like this with our ace on the mound were annoying in 2004-5006, but now they just make me sick to my stomach.

Letting Gallardo go 110+ pitches in 6 innings is wrong. He is very important and I think at this point there needs to be a major change in managing philosophy. Not that I didn't think there needed to be one before, but I don't think winning should be the number one priority anymore.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

Yo needs to be shut down as soon as Bush and Suppan Returns.

Macha should not be given any extension and this Melvin experiment has failed terribly.

Swept by the Pirates what next Swept by the Nationals

Different Pitching Coach still the Home runs come.

I almost think Doug needs to tell Macha that Gallardo is on a strict 100 pitch count the rest of the season. No 100+ pitch games anymore.
Yeah, I know Macha probably doesn't want to stretch the bullpen anymore, but since the playoffs are just a pipe dream at this point, there's no point in over taxing Gallardo right now.
The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

Through completion of Yesterday's action Yo has thrown the 3rd most pitches in the NL this season with 2694, only Wainwright (2767) and Jiminez (2711) have thrown more pitches.

"You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation."

- Plato

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."

- Plato

While I thought the opinions on Gallardo being overworked in the past were somewhat overblown, now that the team is realistically completely out of any playoff picture, there is simply no reason for Gallardo to be racking up that kind of wear on his arm anymore. Does it matter if we lose by 3 runs or 10 at this point?

Melvin better be giving serious thought to what he wants to do for next year, and needs to tell Macha to manage for next year, or just fire him right now if he refuses.

The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

Melvin better be giving serious thought to what he wants to do for next year, and needs to tell Macha to manage for next year, or just fire him right now if he refuses.
Can't say I disagree. I wasn't thrilled with the Macha hiring to begin with, but was willing to give it a chance. Considering he's only on a two year contract and a decision on his future (whether to extend or fire him) will be made after the season anyway, I wouldn't mind expediting the process and maybe seeing what someone like Willie Randolph could do. Who knows, maybe the team goes on a mini-surge like the Nats did when Jim Riggleman stepped in to replace Manny Acta. If that was the case I wouldn't expect any miracles, but it might be nice to see what they have in Randolph before he possibly bolts for a managing job elsewhere this offseason.

"[baseball]'s a stupid game sometimes." -- Ryan Braun

Twitter

While I thought the opinions on Gallardo being overworked in the past were somewhat overblown, now that the team is realistically completely out of any playoff picture, there is simply no reason for Gallardo to be racking up that kind of wear on his arm anymore. Does it matter if we lose by 3 runs or 10 at this point?

Yeah, I to thought the Gallardo pitch counts were overblown, but now that we are 10 games out of first. Might as well keep him at a very tight pitch count rest of the season. Do not exceed 100 in any start remaining. He is way to valuable to our club for the future.

Formerly BrewCrewIn2004

@IgnitorKid

Archived