Brewer Fanatic

Bill Hall traded to Mariners for P Ruben Flores

Invader3K

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

From cnnsi.com

The Seattle Mariners acquired Bill Hall from the Milwaukee Brewers today in exchange for minor league pitcher Ruben Flores, SI.com has learned. A source said that the Brewers will pay the remainder of Hall's $6.8 million salary for this season, as well as a large portion of his $8.4 million deal next year, perhaps as much as $7.15 million.

Hall, who was designated for assignment by the Brewers last week, is not expected to join the Mariners until Thursday. Seattle will have to make a corresponding roster move to add Hall to the 40-man roster, but that has not been announced yet.

Hall had spent his entire eight-year career with the Brewers, who drafted him in 1998, but this year he struggled mightily, batting .201 with a .265 on-base percentage and 72 strikeouts in 76 games. Hall has a $9.25 million club option for 2011 that includes a $500,000 buyout.

Mariners first-year general manager Jack Zduriencik, formerly a longtime executive with the Brewers, has seen Hall produce far more in the past, including a 35-home run year in '06. Hall became a necessity for a Mariners team in need of a third baseman after putting Adrian Beltre on the disabled list after Beltre suffered a testicular injury last week. The Mariners entered Wednesday night's game with the Tigers 61-58, 12 games out in the AL West and 6.5 games out of the AL wild card and have lost four of their past five games.

Flores is a 25-year-old right-handed reliever who has spent most of the season at high-A ball, going 2-2 with a 2.30 ERA.

Follow me on Twitter

So we get nothing for Hall, and we replaced him with a nobody. What was the rush to DFA him again? This move was completely bungled.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"88.6% of all statistics are made up right there on the spot" Todd Snider

-Posted by the fan formerly known as X ellence. David Stearns has brought me back..

Saving a little money and getting a player back?

We're not really getting a player when you figure in Flores is a minor league FA after the season, so he is really public property.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"88.6% of all statistics are made up right there on the spot" Todd Snider

-Posted by the fan formerly known as X ellence. David Stearns has brought me back..

Haudricourt says the Brewers will end up saving about $1.3 million, so at least that's something.
My guess is that DM wanted at least some cash for Billy and $1.3 million is no small chunk of change considering most Major League teams have Bill Hall type "talent" in AAA for league minimum salary.

So we get nothing for Hall, and we replaced him with a nobody. What was the rush to DFA him again?

I think it was about pretending that they were still in it. I sure don't get why it was suddenly a mad rush to get rid of the guy at this point. Why not just put him through waivers and then see if you can work a trade, without having this 10 day deadline?

Just another reason to DFA Melvin, perhaps?

If the Mariners are stuck with the 2011 option, this means the Brewers are saving about $1.8M, assuming current reports are correct. I'm okay with that.

Did Melvin give any indication that this was going to be a big trade? I just see a quote that some teams are interested and that he was working on something. Is there a reason that we should expect any team to pay more than the Mariners did?

Do people honestly think Melvin turned down a MLB type pitcher for Bill Hall? I just can't imagine why any team would give us a pitcher for Hall. Harang and Arroyo and even Padilla are still somewhat effective.

I gladly take a savings of 1.3 mil to get rid of Hall.

How long did you want Hall and his contract sticking around AAA? And what makes you think his contract will be any more appealing if Melvin waits? His contract sure won't be included in a blockbuster trade and what team in their right mind would give any talent back for him?

Archived