3 LF BRAUN ®

4 1B FIELDER (L)

5 RF HART ® CATALANOTTO (L)

6 3B GAMEL (L) McGEHEE ®

7 CF GERUT (L) BOURGEIOUS ®

8 C RIVERA ® CORPORAN (L)

Resign Counsell for 1 to 2 mil

Resign Catalanotto for 400k to 800k

Trade Hardy plus prospects for the best starting pitcher you can get by April 2010

Let Cameron Kendall and Lopez test Free Agency

Let Salome and Lucroy both bounce between Catching and DHing in AAA for 2010

1 SP GALLARDO

2 SP BUSH

3 SP PARRA

4 SP SUPPAN

5 SP BURNS

PEN - VILLANUEVA

PEN - MCCLUNG

PEN - DILLARD

PEN - RISKE (DL) OR SMITH

LOOGY - STETTER

SETUP - DIFILICE

CLOSER- COFFEY

Let Looper walk

Let Hoffman, Colome and Weathers test free agency

Trade HARDY for a SP

Resign Vargus if a trade does not surface for a decent starting pitcher over the winter

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I think the only "locks" to be on the 2010 Brewers are Braun, Gallardo, Fielder and Escobar. Everyone else is suspect. Maybe Weeks gets thrown in the group I mentioned as a "lock".

Maybe Parra as well. Should be an interesting off-season.

Suppan is a lock because the Brewers don't have 5 SP that are better than Suppan when he is healthy. The key, of course, is finding a way to know when he isn't healthy before he costs the team a game or two.

Suppan is a lock because the Brewers don't have 5 SP that are better than Suppan when he is healthy.

This is true as of today -- however, FA+ a trade may change that -- in either case though -- Suppan is going to start 2010 as a Brewer, and that is locked in by his contract.

Even if Suppan is injured and at 75%, he still will be on the team to start the season.

DFA Riske

Why? We have to pay him either way and it isn't like he taking up roster space while on the DL.

In addition, we collect insurance money if he's on the DL. He can be on the 60-day, so he doesn't even take up a roster spot. There's almost no upside in releasing him.

That isn't really a playoff caliber team from a pitching standpoint and guys like Burns, the Hurricane and Gerut really shouldn't make the team. The pen needs a few upgrades and I'm guessing DM does his annual run through the bargain bin to see who sticks. I wouldn't be surprised if we threw another sizable deal to Hoffman who clearly will want to pitch another year to stay ahead of Mo. He's great on the team and brings a lot of energy to the stadium.

I expect a decent year out of Riske.

Formerly Andersoc420

I wouldn't be surprised if we threw another sizable deal to Hoffman who clearly will want to pitch another year to stay ahead of Mo. He's great on the team and brings a lot of energy to the stadium.
Who's this Hoffman guy I keep hearing about?

There is pretty much no chance that we carry that many IF and I would doubt Cameron is back. I'm guessing we keep Hart another year but Hardy is traded for either a high upside A/AA pitcher or a medium upside AAA pitcher.

The key to the team going on is the AAA pitching imo. I don't care what they do with the rotation, if there aren't some guys that we can go to when someone is hurt or ineffective we will have exactly the same problem we had this season. If we had Sabathia instead of Looper this team would still be scuffling because we had below replacement level pitchers once Suppan/Bush got hurt.

2010 lineup

1. Weeks 2B

2. Gamel 3B

3. Braun RF (I'm dreaming)

4. Fielder 1B

5. McGehee LF (dreaming again)

6. Cameron CF (dreaming once again)

7. Corporan/Rivera C

8. Escobar SS

9. Pitcher

Bench:

Counsell IF, Gerut OF, Cat OF, Iribarren OF/IF, Rivera/Corporan C

Rotation

1. Gallardo

2. Lackey (I think I'm high right now)

3. Bush

4. Parra

5. Suppan (our best #5 if Villanueva is in the bullpen)

Bullpen:

Riske, Weathers, Coffey, Villa, Stetter, Hoffman, and McClung

Bullpen wise I think we will be fine for next year. Starting rotation if we can pick someone up either in free agency (Lackey please) or through a trade with Hardy then it should be OK not great not bad but OK. Though the Brewers would have to be extremely lucky in the injury department though. Unless one of the younger pitchers somehow show something that they are ready to be fill ins for injuries from now until next year it is going to be dark.

One name to keep an eye on in free agency will be Kelvim Escobar. He might be a good buy low candidate this offseason for the Brewers but he really would only be a #3 at best though but he could be a great acquisition if the Brewers could get a good #2 or #3 for Hardy.

Escobar if healthy is a #1 type starter. He's been really, really, good for a long time. Basically since he became an Angel he has been a top flight power pitcher. Bu he's pretty much missed the last two years.
That is a big IF though and he will 34 at the beginning of next season so that is a big concern and he will probably decline after being injured these last few years. I just hope the Brewers go strong after Escobar if they can not get Lackey or another pitcher especially if they are only able to get a high upside A/AA pitcher for Hardy.

1 SS ESCOBAR ® COUNSELL (L)

2 2B WEEKS ®

3 LF BRAUN ®

4 1B FIELDER (L)

5 RF HART ® CATALANOTTO (L)

6 3B GAMEL (L) McGEHEE ®

7 CF GERUT (L) BOURGEIOUS ®

8 C RIVERA ® CORPORAN (L)

1 SP GALLARDO

2 SP BUSH

3 SP PARRA

4 SP SUPPAN

5 SP BURNS

PEN - VILLANUEVA

PEN - MCCLUNG

PEN - DILLARD

PEN - RISKE (DL) OR SMITH

LOOGY - STETTER

SETUP - DIFILICE

CLOSER- COFFEY

This looks as bad or worse than this year.

Okay, I'll play, and with no trade/FA assumptions made except that Hardy likely will be the SS traded, not Escobar...

IF: Fielder, Weeks, Escobar, Gamel; bench: McGehee, Counsell

OF: Braun, Hart, Cameron; bench: Catalanotto, Gerut

C: Rivera; bench: Salome

Comments...

- Position player-wise, we're not in bad shape, especially on the IF.

- I like Lopez a lot and it'd be ideal to find a way for him to fit next year, too.

- Cameron & Kendall are great veteran clubhouse leaders. But their production doesn't justify the dollars relative to the most glaring needs on the club. So I think one won't be back and possibly both. If Cam's not back, the Bourgeois becomes a 5th OF candidate.

SP: Gallardo, Parra, Bush, Suppan, Looper (and gosh, I hope it doesn't look like that next April)

BP: Hoffman, Coffey, Weathers, DiFelice, Stetter, Villanueva, and....

Comments:

- Gotta have a strong BP, & it's worth the jing to pick up Weathers' option & try to get Hoffman to stay.

- McClung has a great arm but would be expendable as an asset someone else with no BP talent at all might need (MN? Their BP is very shallow.).

- I sure hope there's enough new talent on the team so that the Dillard/Vargas/Smith/Burns/Colome types are all in AAA again next year along with more depth.

No kidding how is that rotation/bullpen much better than this year's atrocious results. Hoping mediocre players suddenly simulaneously improve to career years is just overly optimistic and not a way to build a team. I wouldn't expect that roster to be any better than a .500 team at best.

Eh, I've got nothing better to do. Here's what I've got, to start the year:

2B: Weeks

RF: Hart

LF: Braun

1B: Fielder

3B: Gamel

CF: Cameron

SS: Escobar

C: Rivera/Salome

P: Gallardo

OF: Catalanatto

OF: Bourgeoiuoueous

UTIL: McGehee

UTIL: Counsell

C: Salome/Rivera

SP: Gallardo

SP: Parra

SP: Hardy Package (Hardy, top 10 prospect for a competent starter)

SP: Bush

SP: Suppan

CL: Coffey

SU: Dotel

LOOGY: Stetter

ROOGY: Difelice

Long: Burns

BP: Villanueva

BP: Colome

BP: McClung

IF Hardy can regain some value and net a legit #3/4, the staff should be acceptable, as long as some solid AAA arms are picked up. I figure Dotel could be picked up for 2yr/7MM, otherwise just find some other comparable reliever to fill that role. I'd like to see Salome given a chance, with Lucroy starting at AAA next year. If Salome can't cut it, Lucroy could be brought to the bigs by the all star break.

Well, this team would probably make the playoffs if just about every single player has a career year. I guess that's better than the Royals at least.

Is Gerut under contract next year? If he isn't I don't think he'll be back.

I guess people can dream, but why Casey in the outfield?

I think both Iribarren and Heether become minor league free agents next year. I could see one or both sticking if they do really well in ST. Then again, rookies on the bench wasn't exactly a happy experience this year.

Corrections always welcome.

Formerly AKA Pete

With what we have right now, this would be my 2010 batting lineup (Hardy traded for pitching, Cameron and Kendall both gone, not resigned. This is without knowing if they trade or sign any free agent position players)

1. Alcides Escobar- SS

2. Rickie Weeks- 2B

3. Ryan Braun- RF

4. Prince Fielder- 1B

5. Casey McGehee- 3B

6. Mat Gamel- LF

7. Corey Hart- CF

8. Mike Rivera- C

9. Pitcher

Formerly BrewCrewIn2004

@IgnitorKid

I guess people can dream, but why Casey in the outfield?
Because I would rather see Casey in the OF than at 3B blocking Gamel. I think McGehee could play LF fine it is Braun who I am worried about playing RF.

Archived