Brewer Fanatic

Hoffman to the Cubs?

I'm all for selling now, but trading Hoffman could make it a bit more difficult to sign him to a similar contract for next year, which (and I surprise myself here) I'm kind of hoping they try to do.

There's nobody else in the pen right now that I'd want closing games next year, and I'd prefer they not spend a lot on a FA closer, especially in a longer-term deal. The risk/reward & cost/benefit ratios on another one-year Hoffman deal seem about right to me.

Now that it's August, you're only going to get A-ball prospects or roster/contract dung in return. Hoffman's an All-Star and worth much more.

Suggesting a trade of Hoffman now is a logical as the notion that August is the time to trade Hardy, too. You couldn't pick a worse time to limit your return on trading your most worthwhile assets.

Sure I trade Hoffman, I want Josh Vitters please thanks... we'd be crazy not to make that deal today. Vitters might not stick at 3B either much like Gamel, nor is he LH, but I'll take all the impact bats and arms I can get and figure it out later.

"You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation."

- Plato

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."

- Plato

People are assuming Hoffman will be dying to come back here. I don't because he wanted to come here to get 40 saves. He'll get around 30. Not sure he'll come back if there is an offer from a team where he could get more than 40 innings of work.

People are assuming Hoffman will be dying to come back here. I don't because he wanted to come here to get 40 saves. He'll get around 30. Not sure he'll come back if there is an offer from a team where he could get more than 40 innings of work.
He also missed what 7 save chances early in the year being hurt. If he is there for those and converts those he would near his goal. He probably gets low 30's in save which is still pretty good. And what is the loss even if he does not want to come back here someone would need to sign him and we would get picks which would be way better than any prospect we could get now. And if no one else wants with having to give up a pick him he would probably have to retire.

No way would the Cubs trade Vitters for Hoffman.
People were saying they wouldn't trade Hoffman, I pointed out that if the Cubs were dumb enough to give us Vitters, we take that deal every single time.

"You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation."

- Plato

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."

- Plato

No way we should trade Hoffman. We are going to want to bring him back next year and if we keep him he will be a Type A free agent which should keep his suitors to a minimum
I wouldn't be at all surprised if one of the conditions to Hoffman coming to Milwaukee was that Melvin wouldn't offer him arbitration after the season. As you mention, he's very likely to be a type A FA, and not many teams, if any, would give up a first to sign a mid-40's closer for a season or two.

Archived