Brewer Fanatic

Kris Benson idea

From FoxSports' Ben Maller:

Quote:
Rodrigo Lopez , the Opening Day starter three of the past four years, is the most likely to be dealt, and five teams have expressed interest in the right-hander, according to an industry source. The Orioles would not hesitate to deal pitchers Kris Benson or Jaret Wright to fill a need and have talked to several teams about Hayden Penn , one of the Orioles' top pitching prospects.

Benson is a Superior, WI native, born there in 1974. Since breaking into MLB in 1999, he has averaged 172 IP. His career record is 68-73, but since being traded from Pit. in mid-2004, it's 25-24 (43-49 in Pit.).

Benson over the last three seasons (averages):

IP = 185 2/3

ERA = 4.42

ERA+ = 97

WHIP = 1.326

BBs = 56

I know the O's are trying to sign Luis Gonzalez, but if they miss on him and one or two others, I'd bet Jenkins would carry significant value. Perhaps (probably) not enough alone to net Benson, but I'd definitely be willing to add on another player to make it work (Graffanino?). Does anyone think it would really take much more than that? I hope I'm not being biased in feeling like it wouldn't take a pitching prospect

Benson's contract info:

2007 - $7.5 mil

2008 - $7.5 mil club option ($500K buyout)

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

Ok, more to add - according to his orioles.com Player Bio:

Quote:
Benson lost three one-run decisions and four by two runs.

I know, especially from The Doug Davis Experience, that close losses are the pitcher's fault almost as often as the Offense's, but thought it was an interesting tidbit to add.

If you move 3 of those 7 games to the win column - as it seems fair to not take 4 - that gives Benson a 14-9 record in 2006, as opposed to his 11-12. That's quite a difference

Any opinion on the value of the trade I proposed? I am leery to think, however fair I think it sounds, that a deal could go down without us giving up a pitching prospect.

I for one am worried about trading away any more of our young arms. I know we have depth, but we're now one trade away from losing another top LHP prospect, and falling to the ranks of 'average' young pitching depth.

More fuel to the fire (this from Ken Rosenthal) -

Quote:
Speaking of Jenkins ... the Brewers have touched base with the Dodgers, Giants, Padres and Orioles regarding the outfielder.

Jenkins could be a fallback for the Dodgers or Orioles, both of which are trying to sign Gonzalez. Those teams also could turn to less costly free agents. Jenkins will earn $7 million next season.

It's a strange world we live in where Benson's salary seems decent. A trade involving he and Jenks would actually be a swap of players with positive value.

I don't know that we really need him, as we have 5 starters and he doesn't really excite me much more than the bottom of our rotation - except he's more predictable.

Anna Benson is a broke-down hussy.

Mothership -

I agree that it'd be a stretch to hope for Benson as a #2 kind of guy. In my mind, adding him would be for the #4 or 5 role, with the other role being filled, most likely, by Vargas.

We learned last year that you can never have enough SPing, and having Villanueva as a long reliever/spot starter/injury fill-in would be a great luxury. I'd love to just trust CV as a starter for the full 2007 season, but I know it's a risk to trust that a rookie can both stay healthy for a full season and produce at a competitive level (such as his very small experience in 2006)

What are the Giants trying to do with Jenkins, rob the cradle? The sunset of his career is not even in sight yet. I'm actually glad that he has value out there. A trade even up for Benson intrigues, especially since the contracts are close enough.

I would imagine that the O's haven't given up on Daniel Cabrera yet. I might rather see him and Maddux hook up so Cabrera puts on one helluva display at Miller Park.

His stuff can be untouchable, he tore it up in the WBC. Unfortunately that didn't carry over to his MLB season. But he can get nasty, unfortunately, I'm sure the O's will want to stick to they're 6' 7" guy and hope he becomes the next Big Unit

Yeah, thumper, I agree (both on Jenks's value and the WBC analysis). Glad I'm not the only one who thinks Jenks could basically land Benson on his own. Just because I can be a cynic on trades, I add Graffanino to be sure the deal gets done

Maybe we could get a pen arm in addition (?)

Jenks for Benson is the most sensible trade idea I've heard in a long time, which gives me doubts that it'll get done. I do think Benson in the #4 spot in the rotation is about all you'd want from a guy like him. Plus, the trade solves actual needs for both sides. What a concept!

We learned last year that you can never have enough SPing, and having Villanueva as a long reliever/spot starter/injury fill-in would be a great luxury.

If related moves are made and we either get rid of another SP or acquire a solid OF (Baldelli), this would then become a great trade, since we'd either need the depth or Jenkins would be far less important to the team.

If we otherwise stand pat, I would be able to live with the move, but would by no means be jumping around the living room. Like you said, it'd be a luxury, and it's hard for losing teams to rationalize having luxuries.

More fuel....

Quote:
Agent Gregg Clifton said Tuesday that free agent Luis Gonzalez will soon decide between the Dodgers, Cardinals and Orioles.

From Rotoworld: www.rotoworld.com/content/playernews.aspx?sport=MLB

Once/If L. Gonzalez goes, that's almost the deal-breaker for the O's -- they'd really be pressured to add someone like Jenkins, and, given the market, taking him at $7 mil. is a solid deal for a team/market that can afford it (especially since Benson for Jenks would be an even-money deal, essentially)

IMO, it's the player's responsibility to "harness" his own darn talent. I agree with you, that the O's young gun could be that good, but I don't believe in miracles from pitching coaches, just good instruction.

Kris Benson is proven, and a total salary swap at a place where we have a need, from a position of depth. I'd be willing to guess that, because of the opinion that Cabrera could 'put it together' (which he certainly can), the O's would be asking for more

More update on the domino-style situation:

(From Rotoworld)

Quote:
Agent Gregg Clifton said that Luis Gonzalez will likely choose the Dodgers unless either the Cardinals or Orioles improve their offer.
All 3 teams are offering one-yr. deals, but LuGo prefers to stay in the NL West & play the D-Backs as much as possible

So this puts the O's in big-time need of a corner OF. If they wanted LuGo, Jenks seems a natural next choice.

Bring me Benson!

Archived