Brewer Fanatic

Counsell makes sense for White Sox

Their starting 2B Getz is on DL with oblique strain and even healthy, he's lacks the experience that Counsell would bring and Counsell's numbers are actually better this year too.. Replacement Jayson Nix is marginal both offensively and defensively. Lillibridge is awful.

Even after the Peavy deal, Sox are pretty well stocked with AA level pitching that might interest the Brewers who lack much above A ball.

I like it. We could stil sign Counsel in the offseason. Lopez would also work, but we'll likely get a comp pick for him, so Counsel might make more sense.

It would also make sense for the Sox to go get a 3B and move Beckham back to 2B, if theres any available.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"88.6% of all statistics are made up right there on the spot" Todd Snider

-Posted by the fan formerly known as X ellence. David Stearns has brought me back..

Wouldn't Counsell have to pass through waivers first? I'm not sure he would pass through waivers though a small contract and the chance the Brewers pulling Counsell back if they don't get something valuable in return is rather risky. I'm not sure Counsell would even get past any of the NL teams let alone some of the AL teams.

Counsell's probably considered by many to be the kind of guy you want on your bench in the playoffs. Whether that "many" includes any GM's with the power to pull that trigger is beyond me, but if I were DM, I'd see what I could get for him at this point.

Though, on the other hand, there's something to be said for keeping the guy happy and in his home town, if you want to sign him next year. And I do love me some Counsell.

I like it too. I-Rod brought back a pretty nice return for the Astros and it seems clear that Craig is more valuable at this point. I think Doug could get an OK prospect in return for Craig (if he clears waivers). I hope Doug is exploring these avenues.

I'm not sure where to look for this, but with Counsell having a pretty good season, is there a chance he becomes a type B FA?
You can look here.

I believe free agent status (A or B) is based on the two prior years - but I could be wrong. If that is the case, Counsell has no chance.

Edit: For those two lazy to follow the link, as of June 17th - Kendall, Cameron, Lopez and Looper were all projected to be "Type B" free agents. Hoffman is listed as a "Type A" free agent.

Let's face it, as good as Counsell's been there's absolutely no reason at his age he should be playing a month and a half of meaningless baseball. The same can be said for Cameron, Catalanotto, Hoffman, Weathers and Kendall all of whom are at least 35.

Do those guys a favor and try to find teams in contention that could use them or if not (as is likely in the case of Kendall), just let them go.

Let McGehee, Escobar, Bourgeios, Rivera, and others that could figure in 2010 get time on the field.

Let's face it, as good as Counsell's been there's absolutely no reason at his age he should be playing a month and a half of meaningless baseball.

That's all well and good, but he still has to clear waivers. Considering his usefulness, I find that unlikely.

That's all well and good, but he still has to clear waivers. Considering his usefulness, I find that unlikely.

This isn't true -- He could be claimed, and then traded to the team that claimed him -- The only teams that are realistically going to claim him, are teams that could use him for the playoff run.

How on earth is Kendall a possible Type B? Wow.

He played 151 games last year, and will probably end up with ~140 games this year ... The way that the compensation works, is that it looks at the Brewers having to replace a guy that caught ~290 games for them over the last 2 seasons.

He could be claimed, and then traded to the team that claimed him

You are correct. Perhaps my point was better stated as: The White Sox may indeed want him and be a good fit, but I find it unlikely that he'll make it through the entire NL and most of the AL unclaimed on waivers to get to the Sox in the first place. Trades in August aren't simply about determining who is a good fit and making a deal, especially for someone cheap and useful like Counsell this year.

While it's possible Counsell didn't make it through waivers, it's aging veterans that generally do get dealt in August because teams don't see them as difference makers and pass on them on the waiver wire. That's how the Brewers got Durham last year and Weathers this year.

When I started this thread I was well aware he needed to clear waivers so the thread is based on that assumption.

Trades in August aren't simply about determining who is a good fit and making a deal, especially for someone cheap and useful like Counsell this year.

Fair enough -- However, at this point, if he gets claimed by someone other than CHI, -- I suspect it will be another playoff team looking for some depth or to deal with an injury -- I don't think it should matter to the Brewers where he ends up.

The thing with Counsell is that he's been so loyal, he may not want to leave Milwaukee. It's not like he's eating up that much money through the end of the season, and I'm not sure we would get that much for him. Either way I hope the Brewers talk about bringing him back...he's shown he can be a serviceable utility guy and even more this season.
The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

Archived