Brewer Fanatic

Pudge Rodriguez traded to Texas

wibadgers23

Weird. I guess he's a replacement for Jarrod Saltalamacchia, who is on the DL right now. I didn't see this one coming, though.

Did you think they'd want Kendall instead?

Seriously, if Melvin's not out there trying to peddle Hoffman, (yes) Weathers, Counsell, Catalanotto, Cameron, Looper, (I'll leave out the guys there's no market for as we all know who they are), he's missing an opportunity to load up on some minor leaguers, one or two that might help down the road.

I hadn't realized how much Teagarden had struggled this year, but really?

Pudge has been pretty bad offensively this year (have no clue about defense, as subjective as it may be), and depending on who the mid-level prospects, this could be a steal for the 'Stros.

If I were a Rangers fan, this is not exactly the guy I'd want to see behind the plate for the wild card run. Maybe they're planning to have him split time with Teagarden?

Edit: Just saw on MLBTR that Pudge would back up Teagarden, I guess this makes more sense now.

Pudge is the all-time games caught leader, it's not surprising that he is slowing down. He's still better than Kendall though.

Also, I agree with everybody else about trying to sell off as many vets as possible right now. I hope Doug moves at least a couple guys.

Pudge actually gets on base less than Kendall at this point in his career although he can at least hit it out of the infield so he slugs a little better than Kendall. I don't know if Pudge still has the arm he once did but he can't be any worse than Kendall. I was just commenting at the game on Saturday night when Pudge's stats were up on the board that he is barely above Kendall anymore the fact that Houston got someone to give up a couple players for him has to be a steal for the Astros.

It would certainly be nice for us to sell some vets for some minor league pitching depth but I just don't see us doing it.

As for Kendall vs Pudge, I think I'd take some guy off the street and give him league minimum. Probably get about the same production and save some cash.

He's pretty much a hacker at the plate as well.
I'm not knocking your post at all. But who would have thought 10 years ago that we'd ever be saying this about Pudge? I thought he'd be obliterating all the catcher hitting records by now, the same way Piazza did.

- - - - - - - - -

P.I.T.C.H. LEAGUE CHAMPION 1989, 1996, 1999, 2000, 2006, 2007, 2011 (finally won another one)

Archived