Brewer Fanatic

Is Lawrie the best hitting prospect in the Midwest League? I say yes

molitor fan

Lawrie has gotten a fair amount of flack this year from some that want a .950 OPS right off the bat. However, as a 19 year old that just got his OPS over the 800 mark - 17th in the large midwest league amonst qualifiers, I am very happy with his performance this year. His age/performance combo is really outshone only by the swarthy Jaff Decker - who looks like Mark Tauscher and has a nearly 1 OPS as a 19 year old....however, Decker is limited in his upside in my eyes due to his frame.

I think that Lawrie has earned his power 50 number three ramking and could push higher in the close future....

No. Jaff Decker is younger and better

Decker's age is irrelivent when compared to another member of the same graduating class. Decker is far more polished at the plate, but he needs to be a better hitter, as he'll always be just a corner OF. They're both outstanding prospects.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"88.6% of all statistics are made up right there on the spot" Todd Snider

-Posted by the fan formerly known as X ellence. David Stearns has brought me back..

Even if he's not the best hitter in the MWL, molitor fan brings up a very good point. Even before Lawrie has gotten hot, he has more than held his own during his first taste of professional baseball. I know expectations were pretty high, and even if the MWL were an easier place to hit, I think it's hard to say that he hasn't had a good year. I know a few have suggested that he repeat low-A, or at least open there to begin the 2010 season, and I think it's pretty easy to see, and say, that won't happen. Having seen him a handful of times this year, the guy is fearless, he's cocky, he's talented, and he's an aggressive hitter that has put up respectable numbers. I hope once Kentrail Davis is signed that the two spend some times playing in the same lineup together in BC next summer.

He hasn't been bad, he just hasn't been great and earned the promotion he thought he would. He was likely humbled a little bit and will be better off for it. He wasn't the best position player in the league, though one could probably make the case he's the best remaining position player in the league.

There is simply no way he repeats, you have to stink up the joint like Brewer did last season to repeat a level, as I wasn't sure they'd have him repeat after his awesome run through the AFL. Lawrie will be in BC next summer, book it.

"You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation."

- Plato

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."

- Plato

I doubt he would repeat low A, he's a teenaged middle infielder with an OPS that is 100 points better than the league average. That kind of guy tends to get pushed aggressively. (For example, Escobar had an OPS more than 60 points below league average when he was in low A and he didn't repeat the level. It's true that he was a different kind of prospect than Lawrie, but I think his treatment is instructive. Looking back, the Brewers haven't had a lot of similar prospects to Lawrie recently. Their 2 good shortstop prospects (JJ, Alcides) were more defensive players and their 2 good 2nd base prospects (Rickie, Hernan) were in their 20's.)

Decker looks damn good too.

If this is true, it makes me wonder why. He's gone by September 1st to do that Baseball World Cup or whatever it is. Just from an observation point, I really wasn't impressed with Lawrie most of this year. He was never ever terrible, but he never really did anything above and beyond to deserve a promotion. And from what I have heard, he has rubbed teammates and coaches the wrong way a bit. However it really seems that he is starting to come around the past couple weeks. He should start the year in Brevard County next year for sure if not Huntsville.

You have got to be kidding me. I am going to the game tonight. I really wanted to see him play. I went to a game earlier this year and he was out with an injury.
I got tickets for his bobblehead game on 9/3. Guess he won't be there, well at least I got to see him in early July.

I like moving him up to AA. His numbers were not outrageous in Appleton but he put up respectable numbers for a 19 year old. .274/.348/.454 with 13 HR 65 RBI and 19 SB. After seeing him in person that one game I am very excited for his future. He just looks and carriers himself like a real player. And wow, what a quick bat.

Formerly BrewCrewIn2004

@IgnitorKid

Archived