Brewer Fanatic

The What Bad Contract will we take for Bill Hall thread (Was 'Reds interested in Bill Hall')

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

They haven't actually eaten the contract yet. That would officially come at the end of the 10-day DFA deadline, and only if he's not traded. If he's traded within the 10 days, the equivalent of eating the contract would be sending cash to the trade partner to offset some or all of the money owed Hall.

That said, by DFA'ing him, the Brewers have indeed shown that they've essentially made the decision to pay Hall not to play for them.

Adam McCalvy's latest blog post definitely makes it seem like Hall will be traded sometime before the Friday deadline: Melvin "working on something" for Bill Hall.

McCalvy specifically mentions the Reds (and Harang or Arroyo as possible returns), but Melvin says he can't say who's been interested. I wouldn't mind having Harang around next year as a middle of the rotation guy. Who knows, maybe he'll bounce back with a change of scenery and pitch like he did a few years ago.

"[baseball]'s a stupid game sometimes." -- Ryan Braun

Twitter

I'd do Hall and a nice prospect, like Taylor Green, for Harang.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"88.6% of all statistics are made up right there on the spot" Todd Snider

-Posted by the fan formerly known as X ellence. David Stearns has brought me back..

The main reason a team would trade for Hall is he'd have many suitors if he were available for the minimum. No utility IF's can hit, so his versatility, power, and past glory would have a dozen teams making him an offer of various merits (minor league deal, major league deal, maybe even a platoon spot).

I've said it before and I'll say it again, if a team like KC signed Hall to be their everyday SS, there's not much downside to be had, as an occasional HR makes him very near league average for his position.

This is laughable but I was told the Yankees are once again interested in Hall but want the Brewers to pay just about all of the money owed and take Kei Igawa back. Im sure Melvin hung up on Cashman once again. The Yankees have real nerve trying to pull this garbage.

This is laughable but I was told the Yankees are once again interested in Hall but want the Brewers to pay just about all of the money owed and take Kei Igawa back.

I assume what your trying to say is the Yankees are offering Igawa and want the Brewers to pay the difference in contracts , right?

If thats right, and its the best offer we get, you take it, as we're paying the same amount of money either way. I hope we do better than that, though, because Igawa is a 29 year old mediocre AAA pitcher. I think we'll get better than that.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"88.6% of all statistics are made up right there on the spot" Todd Snider

-Posted by the fan formerly known as X ellence. David Stearns has brought me back..

I spoke to the guy again and he said that the Yankees are unwilling to take on any salary but will give us Igawa in a swap of bad contracts. They have already offered this same deal for Arroyo and were turned down. I dont expect this deal to happen with the Yankees.

When all is said and done I expect Hall to be traded for Arroyo.

Archived