Brewer Fanatic

The What Bad Contract will we take for Bill Hall thread (Was 'Reds interested in Bill Hall')

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Drop a bad contract, and pick up a worse one?

Harang is actually still very useful at this point. Especially to the Brewers, who need pitching desperately.

And there would almost certainly have to be equalization of the salaries as well.

Harang is indisputably much better than Hall.

Is there a thought that it would be a straight trade, contract for contract? If so, that is completely worth it. If the Brewers have to pay all of Hall's contract to get Harang, I would be hesitant. I suppose the answer is somewhere in the middle.

Next year, Harang would cost $12.5MM + his $2MM buyout. Hall makes $8.4MM + a $.5MM buyout. If no money changes hands, this would be akin to getting Harang for the rest of the season for about $1.4MM and then on a 1 year $5.6MM deal next year.

If this can be swung, it beats Looper as a 1-year rotation plug.

A big Yes to Hall for Harang, really hope this happens. It's certainly way better to get Harang than just eat Hall's contract for nothing. Harang is better than Suppan and Looper, he may possibly be better than Bush and Parra too. Please DM get it done asap.

Drop a bad contract, and pick up a worse one?

Harang is actually still very useful at this point. Especially to the Brewers, who need pitching desperately.

And there would almost certainly have to be equalization of the salaries as well.

I know he is having a down year, but I'd hate for him to turn into a Suppan-esque starter with that kind of money. Granted, he's had success previously, but that's a lot of money to gamble on Harang bouncing back. Then again, Hall's just going to rot on the bench anyway, might as well get a pitcher who is overpaid than a utility guy.

Granted, he's had success previously, but that's a lot of money to gamble on Harang bouncing back.

Harang might simply benefit from getting away from pitching coach Dick Pole, who Todd Coffey credits with causing him to suck in his last two seasons with Cincy.

A buddy of mine who is a principal at a private school in Arizona said that Bill picked up a student on Thursday in a white lamborghini. Seems like Bill is trying to get away from baseball for a bit. Hopefully that helps clear up his head and refocus him.

If the Reds would actually do Hall-for-Harang straight up, then the Brewers would be free to drop Jeff Suppan's contract instead of Hall's. It'd be a couple million more (remainder of this year + all of next year), but it'd be a definite case of addition by subtraction.

I may be in the minority in my thinking of this as well as some other opinions, but I am pretty certain that Soup's role next year will be of the long reliever/6th starter variety. There will be too much pressure on too many people to pencil him into our five man rotation next year, regardless of what his salary is going to be.

The Reds have disputed the reports that Harang and arroyo are even available. We're not getting Harang for Hall. The Reds will either ask us to pay all of Hall contract and give us a fringe prospect, or they'll offer a bad contract like Willy Tavares or Mike Lincoln, and ask us to pay the difference.

I have no use for those 2 players, but I'll take a fringe prospect.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"88.6% of all statistics are made up right there on the spot" Todd Snider

-Posted by the fan formerly known as X ellence. David Stearns has brought me back..

I agree with X. I think Harang for Hall is a bit of a stretch even with his decline in numbers. I would definitely accept a fringe prospect especially if the Reds have a viable A or AA pitching prospect. With our pitching prospects as they are any kind of minor league starter of value would be a great addition to our farm system.

Archived