Brewer Fanatic

"Field of Sweet Dreams" sleepover at Miller Park - September 12

hawing

Link to press release

You can spend the night of Saturday, September 12 at Miller Park, playing catch, taking a tour, watching the Brewers/D-backs game and a movie, have a chance for prizes, and much much more...for $85 per head, $50 per kid.

Sounds interesting. Also sounds like a steep price - though I suppose a lot of hotel rooms in Milwaukee cost more.

Watching a road game in September also would work better if the Brewers are closer to being in the race four weeks from now.

Remember: the Brewers never panic like you do.

What I want to know is what makes the cost of the sleepover $85 per adult head. Does it cost that much to maintain the stadium. I can't imagine it costs alot to broadcast the game and show a movie.

Sure $85 is not bad compared to hotels, but this is camping not a hotel.

Well...I'm not specifically trying to take the Brewers' side, but among other things, you have stadium access for the night; a movie to watch; if you can take the MP tour, that's usually $7 per person; and you get food and soft drinks (from brewers.com):

In addition, each guest will receive:
  • A gift bag filled with "overnight essentials"
  • A buffet dinner
  • Midnight snacks during the movie
  • A continental breakfast in the morning
  • Non-alcoholic beverages throughout their stay
    The order form on brewers.com includes a FAQ link that says preferred parking (Cubs lot) is included in the ticket price, so at least they aren't charging extra to park.

Throw in the chance to win memorabilia or some fan perk like throwing out the first pitch at a game, plus the overall novelty of the experience, and I can see people concluding it's worth the cost. Not all people, but some. The Brewers aren't doing this to break even, and the field will probably need some extra attention after these campers leave.

I'm intrigued, but September's about the toughest month for free time in the hawing household.

Remember: the Brewers never panic like you do.

this is a surprise to me because when i played at miller park last month the asked us to be very careful in right field and the entire infield. because they replace that grass more than anywhere. that can also explain the steep price. im sure most of the money will go toward the grass and this is just another way experience for the fans. the brewers are doing a great job of that.

• 4 weeks later...

Archived