Brewer Fanatic

September callups and 40 man implications

kramnoj

I know it's early, but I started thinking about it this morning and figured I'd throw the questions out there. Who are the locks to be called up, when should they be called up, who isn't on the 40 man that will need to be there in the offseason and should they replace anybody currently on the 40 man?

The team has Aug 31st off, and then is in St Louis on Sep 1. If the Brewers have any dream of making the playoffs, this 3 game series is crucial. It would make sense to have all available hands on deck.

I'll just go through some players to get other's thoughts.

Hardy is up for sure.

Salome comes up in September. Is there any benefit to catching some games for the rest of the season in AAA, or is it best to bring him up immediately as a PH option and emergency catcher?

Corporan: Is he a lock to stay on the 40 man this offseason, or will there be a need to make room for new players? If he isn't a lock to stay on, is there someone who isn't currently on the roster that should be put on so they can join the team in September?

Wright: Does he come up as a 2nd lefty in the pen, or is there a pitcher that needs to be added this offeason who would add more value in September that should replace him?

The rest is all the other pitchers. Which of them aren't ready to come up to get some September action.

None of the call-ups will play much of a role, though in theory, a PH or PR could win a game. Mostly, it will be depth to add more choices off the bench, and pitchers to eat up meaningless innings in one-sided affairs. I have little doubt they'll bring up 5-8 players on 9/1, but if any were going to be major contributors, they'd be up now.

Corporan must still be on the 40 to come up in September, but his ceiling is so limited, it seems strange.

Salome shouldn't be called up this year but I bet he does get called up again I would rather the Brewers just call up Corporan and not waste Salome's service time for a month where he will only see at most 10-20 AB's if that. Gamel should also be up but I hope he gets more AB's than he did before. There will definitely be more pitchers coming up than positional players I believe. Heether is probably a lock to be coming up also.

Who gets called up will HIGHLY depend on our position in the standings at the end of the month. If we don't improve over the next few weeks to within 2-4 games out, I bet they bring a bunch of the kids up and have them play. If we improve our position in the race, they will keep the younger guys down and not waste their service time.

Salome shouldn't be called up this year but I bet he does get called up again I would rather the Brewers just call up Corporan and not waste Salome's service time for a month where he will only see at most 10-20 AB's if that. Gamel should also be up but I hope he gets more AB's than he did before. There will definitely be more pitchers coming up than positional players I believe. Heether is probably a lock to be coming up also.
Salome already has ML service time -- last September. If they brought him up last year, they'd almost certainly do so this year. They need to see what they have, which they really didn't get to in ST, last year's Fall League, and even somewhat last September, if memory serves.

Heether's playing well in AAA, but someone has to get bumped off the 40-man for him to come up.

Fairly certain callups would seem to include:

Hardy or Escobar (whoever's still in AAA on 8/31)

Gamel

Salome

Dilllard

Chris Smith

As well, I'd think any DL activations might wait 'til then, too, depending on how things are going.

MNBrew hit the five - Hardy, Gamel, Salome, Dillard, Smith. McClung and Bush may at some point come off the DL. I am willing to bet though that if neither of McClung or Bush come back you will see another arm - possibly Wright, but my dark horse is Axford.

When depends on where Milwaukee stands; if Milwaukee makes a run the next two and a half weeks they will be there on 9/1 regardless of whether Nashville makes the playoffs. If not, they will arrive when Nashville's season wraps up.

If we get lucky, Kendall and Counsell will be traded for a couple of prospects and they will bring up Corporan and Heether.

Salome needs time off. He has been so banged up this year that unless they are just bringing him up to rehab and play a couple times, then thats fine. If they dont bring him up, I would go with Corporan or even Lucroy who seems to be earning the promotion as of late.

nate: September call-ups only count as 1 day of service time, regardless of how many days the player is up for during the month. I don't think the org will sweat that.

I agree on the above five and Axford is a really good dark horse. It'd be nice to see what they have in Jones, too, though I admit I don't remember his 40-man status. It's unfortunate that Butler is on the shelf, as I'd have liked to see him--like now, instead of Burns...

nate: September call-ups only count as 1 day of service time, regardless of how many days the player is up for during the month. I don't think the org will sweat that.
I don't know if you're confusing these 2 things, but service time and "rookie" status are two different things. Every day on the roster is a day of service time. How could a September call-up's day on the roster possibly be different than that of a veteran? It's not.

However, rookie status is retained by not exceeding a certain number of at-bats or innings pitched -- I believe until a decent number of days' service time on the active roster is attained. I don't remember those particulars (45 ABs rings a bell, though) and am too lazy tonight to look them up.

No. Everyday no matter when it is counts towards the service time of a player. You are confusing rookie status with service time.

And fwiw, no days of service time are accrued against a player's rookie status once rosters expand to 40 men.

A player shall be considered a rookie unless, during a previous season or seasons, he has (a) exceeded 130 at-bats or 50 innings pitched in the Major Leagues; or (b) accumulated more than 45 days on the active roster of a Major League club or clubs during the period of 25-player limit (excluding time in the military service and time on the disabled list).

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

FWIW, here is a list of players I compiled that need to be protected from Rule 5 draft (P50 #'s in parenthesis). Of this list, only Cody, Butler (if healthy), Katin, and Heether are players that I think may be called up in September. Still, it is unlikely as 40 man spots would need to be cleared.

Zack Braddock (#7) - AA

Taylor Green (#8) - AA

Lorenzo Cain (#9) - AA

Chris Cody (#19) - AAA

Josh Butler (#23) - AA

Amaury Rivas (#33) - A+

Brendan Katin (#43) - AAA

Mike Jones - AA

Adam Heether - AAA

Mike McClendon - AA

Nick Green - AA

The rest:

AAA: Joe Koshansky, Sam Narron

AA: Chuck Caufield, Robert Hinton, Josh Wahpepah, Dave Welch, Bo Wright

A+: Chris Errecart, Mike Ramlow

A-:Brock Kjeldgaard

FWIW, here is a list of players I compiled that need to be protected from Rule 5 draft

While a team might find a way to get one or two of those players onto the 40-man in September, there's no need to do it until later in fall. By then, roster spots will have cleared for various reasons that wouldn't occur while the season was still going on.

That’s the only thing Chicago’s good for: to tell people where Wisconsin is.

[align=right]-- Sigmund Snopek[/align]

FWIW, here is a list of players I compiled that need to be protected from Rule 5 draft (P50 #'s in parenthesis). Of this list, only Cody, Butler (if healthy), Katin, and Heether are players that I think may be called up in September. Still, it is unlikely as 40 man spots would need to be cleared.

Zack Braddock (#7) - AA

Taylor Green (#8) - AA

Lorenzo Cain (#9) - AA

Chris Cody (#19) - AAA

Josh Butler (#23) - AA

Amaury Rivas (#33) - A+

Mike Jones - AA

Adam Heether - AAA

Mike McClendon - AA

Nick Green - AA

The rest:

Yah, I don't see any of these guys except for maybe Cody or Heether to be added. I'd love if they did add Jones, that be great but the rest don't need to be added until the fall.

As for fallI have to believe Cain, Green, Braddock, Rivas, Butler, Cody and maybe Jones would have to be added. I don't see them wanting to leave any of those guys unprotected. Rivas has simular value as Periard had when he was added. Someone would for sure be willing to give Braddock a chance and Butler, Cain and Green also would be quality rule 5 picks. Cody and Jones may be able to not have to be put on the 40 man.

It's going to be interesting with Salome. Do they bring him up and give him a pinch hit here and there or do they rest him and make sure he is healthy for the AFL. I doubt he will get any starts if he did get called up, Macha has a hard on for Kendell and Rivera swings the bat great whenever he gets a chance to ( Thank god he finally is giving Rivera a chance to play instead of thinking Kendell is the greatest catcher ever and needs to play everyday and lead off once in awhile)

You're right, 1e Corbeau. But your second point was about service time actually gained when in the minors. That's a different issue than spending days on the active roster that don't count on toward service time, which, unless there's something we all don't know about, cannot happen.

And Young Geezy, you're right about Rivera typically swinging the bat well when he gets the chance -- last year and this week. The rest of 2009 that hasn't held quite so true. His chances were quite limited, to be sure, but he really wasn't hitting for beans until the past few days.

Zack Braddock (#7) - AA

Taylor Green (#8) - AA

Lorenzo Cain (#9) - AA

Chris Cody (#19) - AAA

Josh Butler (#23) - AA

Amaury Rivas (#33) - A+

Mike Jones - AA

Adam Heether - AAA

Mike McClendon - AA

Nick Green - AA

The rest:

Zach Braddock is not eligible until 2010. Same situation as Lorenzo Cain last year.

John Axford I believe is eligible having been released previously by a different organization.

Today's "Notes" column on the JSOnline reveals that John Axford won't be a September callup:

Ash said the Brewers will lose several minor-leaguers Sept. 1 to the Baseball World Cup in Europe. Second baseman Brett Lawrie, a first-round pick in 2008, will play for Canada, along with relievers Jim Henderson and John Axford and outfielder Adam Stern.

• 2 weeks later...

Does anyone know a good web site that would talk about the possible September callups for every MLB team?

If not, is there a link somewhere on this site to all the MLB team fan sites?

Thanks.

User in-game thread post in 1st inning of 3rd game of the 2022 season: "This team stinks"

My guess is Hardy, Smith and Dillard Tuesday, followed by Burns and Iribarren when their 10 days are up, followed by a couple more (Salome? Hart? McClung? Colome?) when they get healthy, followed by Gamel when the season is over...did I miss anyone?

I wonder who they made room on the 40 for? Lucroy? Heether? Patterson? Katin?

Archived