Brewer Fanatic

Mench,Turnbow for Lieber Pending on Phillies

I would be happy only if the Phillies threw in either Gavin Floyd or Ryan Madson or Aaron Rowand but they are rumored to be going to Chicago. Id hope they would include a guy like Fabio Castro - but I cant see why they would want to add a BP arm only to get rid of one.

Moving Mench AND Turnbow and getting only Jon Leiber back in return.........It doesnt work for me.

I really dont know but doug can pull some magic tricks - - - I wonder if there is anything he could do to pull in Cole Hamels. If not him, maybe Gio Gonzalez. I could see Sheeter, Cappy, Manny Parra, Yo and Gio being quite marketable in a year or 2. The Phils got Gio in the inital trade for Aaron Rowand, and he was part of the futures team in 05.

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Quote:
Moving Mench AND Turnbow and getting only Jon Leiber back in return.........It doesnt work for me.

It doesn't sound like a protypical Doug Melvin move, does it? Which is probably the real reason, I bet, why the trade is being held up as Doug wants more than just one pitcher for one year, especially with other teams interested in Shrek Mench.

aracko, are you referring to Geremi Gonzalez? He's already gone.

Adding to Russ' comment, Lieber's walk numbers are pretty cool. Last season, he issued only 24 in 168 innings.

I think I'd be OK with Mench + Turnbow for Lieber. If it turned into Jenkins + Capellan, forget it. I like the idea of adding depth to the pitching staff and it makes sense to use an outfielder to acquire it.

For hawing, here's an old picture of Jon with his hair 'exposed'.

http://www.homeruncards.com/imagesrc/jon-lieber.jpg

That’s the only thing Chicago’s good for: to tell people where Wisconsin is.

[align=right]-- Sigmund Snopek[/align]

It just doesn't seem like a Melvin move because he is selling low on both Mench and especially Turnbow. He may not have a choice though, because if Turnbow can't regain something close to his old form he won't have any value. I guess it's just a little underwhelming, but at least the Brewers are only on the hook for Lieber for one year.

Stevo, I'm thinking Doug might want to avoid deciding whether or not to offer arby to Mench. That might cause him to take a little less in order to move quickly.

That’s the only thing Chicago’s good for: to tell people where Wisconsin is.

[align=right]-- Sigmund Snopek[/align]

I think this trade is fine.

We need to jettison Turnbow. He got alot of chances to turn himself around and couldn't. Just seemed like he pouted when he lost the closer spot.

People around here wanted Mench released if we couldn't get something for him.

So we package excess parts for another arm? Fine.

Lieber's whip was 1.31. Pretty impressive. He walked 24 last year. I think the park in Philly had alot to do with the ERA last year. He'll be decent for us next year.

Personally, I think that this is not the only deal Melvin is working on. This is just the only deal that has been leaked.

Also, I'm sure Melvin will find a way to grab a nugget or an advanced prospect from the Phillies as well as Lieber.

IF....Big IF, the deal is Turnbow and Mench for Lieber, then I'm not impressed.

Sure, I love getting rid of these 2. They make too much for the *ahem* production they gave back. But if we're going to deal 2 players who have drawn interest from the Dodgers and Red Sox, then why give Philadelphia salary relief for a 50-year-old fart who has a significant injury history?

I fear DM is holding out for the inevitable Plus Arm With a High Ceiling on this one....which bites.

If we give up Mench and Turnbow, I want a Cole Hamels ...or better yet, recalibrate the deal so we add a lesser nugget, and somehow get Burrell!

"So if this fruit's a Brewer's fan, his ass gotta be from Wisconsin...(or Chicago)."

Didn't Melvin state last night in McCalvy's piece that this was just basically an internet rumor?

If so, did Melvin lie or is Philly's paper just making stuff up? It's gotta be one of the two.

I'm hoping its the latter. Melvin can do better than Lieber for those two guys.

I don't get how anybody thinks we can get more.

Everybody on these boards were convinced that both of these guys hurt our team in the second half last year. I personally winced every time either of them played. Especially Turnbow.

We get a servicable starter for guys that should be on the scrap heap.

Talk about "homers".

Well, he might not tell the whole story, but I'm not sure if he flat out lies...

He could say that he's not motivated to move Turnbow, and then trade him somewhere two days later. That isn't a lie, it's just a way of saying that he basically found an offer that included a return that met his expectations.

As far as trading Carlos goes, he said about the same thing, but things changed as time went on and the odds kept getting better. Really, the same went with Overbay... He wasn't motivated, and all the sudden he was.

This time, he said it was an internet rumor:

"Melvin and assistant GM Gord Ash did chat with Phillies officials, including GM Pat Gillick, but Melvin dismissed talk of the deal as "an Internet rumor."

Melvin asked the Phillies if they had interest in Jenkins and/or Mench, and "Pat Gillick says no," Melvin said. "

I see that as a pretty direct statement. And while he might bend the truth and not tell the entire story, that just seems like a flat out denial. I can't think of a time when Melvin was that direct and have it turn around 180 degrees.

Of course, maybe I'm just missing a few memories here and there.

He said Gillick told him no. Now 15 minutes later he might have told Ash maybe. Or maybe Gillick said, No not right now.

Since this has been already leaked for a while it probably won't go through as given, but that doesn't mean it wasn't discussed at all.

Quote:
I don't get how anybody thinks we can get more.

Just to clarify for my sake. At this point, I think non-tendering Mench and sending Turnbow home for the season would be better than trading for Lieber and taking on his entire salary.

I think there's no chance of getting Cole Hamels for essentially anything we have to offer (outside of the untouchables). I doubt we could even net a halfway decent AA or AAA prospect (maybe A). I just don't see the point in obtaining Lieber and paying him what the Phillies presently owe him. That money can be spent elsewhere. If not this year, put it in the bank to gain intrest.

So, while the deal talent for talent is probably on par, I think Melvin can do better elsewhere.

Pat Gillick says no...unless he makes the White Sox trade first.

You gotta learn how to read Doug. He often says things like, "I've never even talked to the Dodgers"...but will not say "No one in the organization has talked to the Dodgers".

Doug is always truthful, but is also very deceitful.

Archived