Brewer Fanatic

Link Report for Thurs. 8/13 -- Cain Leaves Another Game with Injury

Mass Haas
Brewer Fanatic Staff

Final: Wisconsin 6, Cedar Rapids (Angels) 5

Wisconsin Site Game Summary

Rattlers come back for win

By Chris Mehring / Wisconsin Timber Rattlers

CEDAR RAPIDS, IA - The Wisconsin Timber Rattlers erased a 4-1 deficit and held on for a 6-5 win over the Cedar Rapids Kernels on Thursday night. Josh Prince scored twice as part of the comeback and also knocked in the go-ahead run in the ninth. Nick Tyson got out of a tough spot in the ninth to nail down Wisconsin's second straight win.

Cedar Rapids (65-52 overall, 25-22 second half) scored first. They loaded the bases against R.J. Seidel on back-to-back walks to Beau Brooks and Gabe Jacobo to start the inning and a one-out single by Angel Castillo. A sacrifice fly by Adam Younger drove in the run. Then, Seidel walked the #9 hitter for the Kernels to reload the bases before getting a strikeout to end the frame.

Wisconsin (51-65, 17-29) answered in the top of the third inning. Erik Miller reached on a bunt single to start the inning. One out later, Sean McCraw doubled to left-center to send Miller home with the tying run.

However, the Kernels took advantage of another bout of wildness with a few more walks and a throwing error from Seidel. The Rattlers right-hander got the first two outs on three pitches. But he walked Brooks on four pitches and walked Jacobo on a 3-2 pitch.

That brought up Darwin Perez and the Kernels shortstop sent a grounder back through the middle of the diamond. Brett Lawrie and Prince converged on the ball and appeared ready to record the final out of the frame. But, the ball hit the second base bag and caromed into center field to drive in Brooks and send Jacobo around to third.

Later in the inning, Seidel threw wildly to first on a pickoff toss to first and that allowed Jacobo to score from third for a 3-1 lead for the Kernels.

Rigoberto Almonte tossed a 1-2-3 fourth inning and Efrain Nieves came on for the fifth. The Rattler lefty retired the first two batters of the inning, but -- inexplicably -- the duo of Brooks and Jacobo drew back-to-back walks again. Perez made Nieves pay with another RBI single for a 4-1 lead.

Wisconsin took advantage of a walk given up by Kernels starter Buddy Boshers in the top of the sixth. Josh Prince drew a free pass to lead off the inning. Pete Fatse tripled into the right field corner and Prince scored to cut the lead to 4-2. But none of the next three Timber Rattlers hitters could get Fatse home from third base.

In the seventh inning, Michael Vass launched his sixth homer of the season with two outs. That solo shot pulled the Rattlers to within 4-3.

Christian Scholl replaced Boshers to start the eighth inning and promptly walked Prince and Fatse to start the frame. Prince stole third base and scored the tying run on a Brett Lawrie sacrifice fly.

In the bottom of the eighth, Nieves walked Brooks to put the go-ahead run on base. Nieves got ahead of Jacobo 0-2, but the Kernels first baseman worked the count to 3-2. Then, Jacobo grounded into a 6-4-3 double play. Nieves ended the inning with a strikeout.

In the ninth, Vass singled with one out and McCraw followed with a double to put runners on second and third. Prince singled to right to knock in Vass with the go-ahead run. McCraw would score later in the inning on a wild pitch.

Corey Frerichs, who just joined the Timber Rattlers on Tuesday, came on to close out the Kernels in the ninth. But, he walked Castillo and gave up a single to Adam Younger to start the inning. That was all for Frerichs in his Midwest League debut and Tyson came into the game.

Nolan Brannon bunted back to the mound on a sacrifice attempt and Tyson went to third for the force out, but Castillo was ruled safe on a close play. Matt Crawford followed with a single to send Castillo home, to make the score 6-5, and keeping the bases loaded.

Tyson struck out Alexi Amarista for the first out, but fell behind Roberto Lopez 3-0. Tyson got strike one looking and Lopez fouled off the next pitch for a 3-2 count.

Lopez sent a hard grounder to Lawrie at second base and the Timber Rattlers escaped by turning a 4-6-3 game-ending double play. Tyson picked up his sixth save of the season for his efforts.

The Timber Rattlers conclude their eight-game road trip with Friday's game at Cedar Rapids. Trey Watten (4-12, 4.72) is the scheduled starting pitcher for the Timber Rattlers. Ryan Chaffee (8-5, 3.14) is set to start for the Kernels.

Wisconsin Box Score

Felt like we were there with that write-up, Chris; if you lost track, Rattler pitchers walked nine, Cedar Rapids pitchers four; kudos to Michael Vass and Sean McCraw for their extra-base heroics at the bottom of the lineup...

Wisconsin Game Log

Brewer Fanatic Staff

Final: Ogden (Dodgers) 10, Helena 1

Link for RHP Damon Krestalude photo, text follows:

Ogden hammers Brewers

By AMBER KUEHN - Helena Independent Record

On a night when the Helena Brewers offense was anemic and the home team provided little drama in a 10-1 loss to the Ogden Raptors, Joey Paciorek may have provided the most excitement.

Paciorek, a reserve infielder for Helena who hadn't thrown a single pitch in his professional career, entered in the final frame with the Brewers trailing by nine.

Helena had utilized 10 pitchers over the last two games of the series, so manager Rene Gonzales turned to Paciorek in place of a depleted bullpen.

"I didn't want to use (Ryan) Platt," Gonzales said. "Platt would probably be the next guy to go but I wanted to save him for tomorrow or this next series. Had we put up four runs or something I probably wouldn't have done it, but the deficit was pretty large."

Paciorek had pitched in high school at Blaine, Wash., but was two years removed from his prep career. His first two throws from the mound were fastball strikes, before giving up a single to Raptors third baseman Brian Ruggiano. Ruggiano went 4-for-6 on the night for Ogden (5-5), just a triple shy of the cycle.

The unlikely pitcher then struck out the next two batters with a solid changeup, showing better command than any other Brewers pitcher had executed Thursday night.

With Paciorek owning a batting average that hovers just above .200, the 711 fans in attendance at Kindrick Legion Field may have thought they just witnessed a position change. Gonzales said Paciorek pitching was just a one-time deal.

"He's a real good athlete," Gonzales said. "He's young and he has a future as an infielder, so I don't want to even entertain that thought."

A night after Helena lit up Ogden for 13 hits, the Brewers managed just four. Two of those came in the eighth and ninth innings off Raptors relievers, as Ogden starter Matt Magill was outstanding through six innings.

The right-handed Magill, only 19, matched his longest outing of the season and gave up just two hits and two base on balls while striking out three and holding Helena scoreless.

The Brewers' lone run came in the eighth when Chad Stang earned an RBI on a fielder's choice off reliever Javier Solano, scoring Shawn Zarraga who had reached on a walk.

Helena (3-6) had just one extra-base hit on the evening, when first baseman Sean Halton stroked a two-out double in the second.

Ogden scored six runs in a big sixth inning, reminding many of the sixth-run ninth the Raptors had just two nights prior in a 16-6 victory.

"I don't mind if we give up a couple, but those big innings hurt us," Gonzales said.

Helena's Damon Krestalude was tagged with the loss. Krestalude went four innings, giving up 10 hits and six earned runs while walking three and fanning five. He's now 3-4 on the year.

With Orem, the Pioneer League South division leader coming to town today, and a long road trip looming on the horizon, the Brewers skipper said his crew will have to step up and play mistake-free ball if Helena hopes to make the playoffs. The Brewers had two errors Thursday, both on third baseman Edgar Trejo.

"This division is tough and we're going to have to play near perfect games to do it," Gonzales said. "We're not as good as I thought we were. We're going to have to play really good baseball...with this road trip we've got coming up, if we don't play well we probably don't have a shot at winning our division."

Helena Box Score

Ugh...

Helena Game Log

Brewer Fanatic Staff

Final: Arizona Cubs 7, Arizona Brewers 1

Arizona Box Score

Only two of the seven runs allowed were earned, as errors by SS Carlos George, 2B Connor Lind and RF Max Walla were part of two three-run innings; 18-year-old LH hitting catcher Tyler Roberts has had a fine 48 AB's thus far...

Arizona Game Log

Brewer Fanatic Staff

Final: DSL Giants 8, DSL Brewers / Orioles 0

DSL Brewers / Orioles Box Score

LHP Eliezer Montano and RHP Jaime King were OK early on, but it was a rough pro debut for 17-year-old RHP Gregory Lorenzo, walking four of the seven men he faced; three Brewers -- catcher Jhonatan Javier, LF Luis Chirinos and 2B Joan Abreu, committed errors; 17-year-old Andres Martinez played third base rather shortstop -- at 6'2", 188, perhaps that is his future home...

DSL Brewers / Orioles Game Log

To follow up with LouisEly and Mass about Helena.

I have been very disappointed with Gonzales managing and running this club the past two years.

The same issues that I commented on last year are happening this season. While I can accept poor pitching, errors and batting slumps at this level, what is unacceptable is the players not being mentally prepared and into the game. I would like to see players give an honest effort in the pre-game and not just go thru the motions or play grab ass. Its my belief that some of these players think that they are "above" this level of ball. What happened to Halton last night is a glaring example guys not being into the game and not supporting their teammate. I can't remember (2007?) when I last saw this club on the dugout steps pulling for a pitcher or hitter or coming out as a team to congratulate a run scored or a good effort (I watch every other team in the league doing this). This is all consistent with the play and behavior of last season. This series with Ogden has been marked with hit batters, I would have thought that might fire these guys up. Hell I remember Helena and Ogden getting into a scrap when both teams were in the MIL system together.

Previous managers Eddie Sedar and Jeff Isom, while very different on field personalities, had their clubs ready to go. Sedar was not above yanking a guy for lack of effort and both conducted a pretty tight pre-game. Neither would have tolerated guys not running out first base. I don't recall Narrons club not giving good effort.

To be objective about Gonzales I don't think there is a lot of talent on this club and there wasn't much last year either. (Wisc is not tearing things up even with Isom at the helm). Gonzales has been give a club this year with no left handed batters (Marseco, who just arrived, at least is a switch hitter) and again there is a glaring lack of outfielders. Last year had pitchers in the OF and this year catchers and infielders. I also don't know how much direction he is getting from up top as to who to play, but it is obvious some guys are worn out and some just aren't cutting it. On a positive note pitching coach Elvin Nina is doing an excellent job (best since Mark Littell). He is into each pitch and isn't shy about going to the mound and correcting things.

As I commented before, I don't understand why Mil isn't putting the very best coaches and teachers at this level. Take a look at Orem (Angels), Kotchman has been there for years and they win and they move players up. Sedar spent years at Ogden and Helena and managed many of the current MIL players. Its about developing players and developing a winning attitude.

Thanks for your insight MTBrew. I distinctly remember your comments from a year ago, and as much as I don't want to believe them, it's hard to argue from afar the way the T-rats are under-achieving this year. While the team has loaded up on pitchers in recent drafts, it's hard to identify impact talent in the lower levels right now. At least Nick Bucci has been a bright spot.

colbyjack, I certainly agree with you about Bucci. I also think that Krestalude is another bright spot. He was victimized last night by errors and a very poor play in the OF, while not scored an error, resulted in a lost out and another runner on base. I understand that pitchers have to work thru this kind of thing but the defense and mental errors this year has really hurt the pitching staff. I would go as far to say, that except for a couple of games and a couple of individuals, the entire pitching staff has done a good job, the longer inning guys especially. The play behind them is the problem.

Regarding position players. In looking back on 20+ years here there are always those guys that just stand out and dominate this level. Sheff, Vaughn, Hamilton all come to mind in the past, more recently Salome, Braun, Gamel and LaPorta. It is not surprising to see these guys move up and be successful. Then there are guys, who while not dominating, are very very good and you can see potential and hope they continue to develop and get better. Crillo was in this camp and more recently Lucroy, Gindl, Ferris, Gillespie, Cain and Katin. On the 2008 and 2009 rosters only Logan Shafer fits this for me. Which is why I have questioned the talent level the past 2 years. I still have some hope for Trejo and Chris Dennis, mostly because they are still young.

Archived