Brewer Fanatic

Brewers claim Doug Davis on Waivers; 2-days to work out deal (Update 8/14: Deadline passed, no deal)

The Ignitor

Tom Haudricourt is saying in his latest blog post that Arizona is trying to gauge the interest of DD to agree to stay in AZ next year. Apparently Doug has said that he would like to stay in Arizona as he has a house there.

If Doug does indeed want to stay there and AZ is confident they will be able to work out a deal in this offseason, wouldn't it be in all parties' best interest to work out some sort of trade now.

Brewers would send some minor prospect to AZ for Doug Davis for the rest of the season, relieving AZ of the $3 mil left on his contract this year. They then offer Doug arbitration in the offseason, which he would likely not accept and we would receive a type B compensation pick from AZ.

So brewers get a couple starts from DD, plus a comp pick - AZ gets salary relief plus a minor prospect, plus their pitcher back next year+

Edit: spelling

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply
One, ARI is unlikely to offer Davis arby, as he'll make $10-12M if he'd accept. Two, it seems to me Davis is more likely to sign with the D'Backs if he's not dealt...his loyalty would be tested far more having played elsewhere than if he has only played in Phoenix. Maybe by "only" 10% or so, but that could easily be the difference between signing with ARI or just going to the highest bidder.

TH reporting that Arizona has offered Davis a 1 year extension. I'm guessing if he turns it down the D-Backs will trade him.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"88.6% of all statistics are made up right there on the spot" Todd Snider

-Posted by the fan formerly known as X ellence. David Stearns has brought me back..

"It's a win-win situation," Davis said of the possibility of being dealt. "I go to a team that's probably contending, this team gets something they probably need and I still become a free agent at the end of the year and can possibly come back here."

The above is a quote from Davis. He won't be upset if Arizona trades him now, he wants the chance to play more meaningful games for the rest of the year. The quote is from a link from a couple of posts ago.

He won't be upset if Arizona trades him now, he wants the chance to play more meaningful games for the rest of the year.
Well then, he better hope that he gets traded to someone other than the Brewers.

TH reporting that Arizona has offered Davis a 1 year extension. I'm guessing if he turns it down the D-Backs will trade him.

Offering a one-year extension is an intelligent move by AZ. If he takes it, you have him next year; if he doesn't, that means he's probably not going to accept an offer for arbitration, which lets AZ know they'll get a comp pick. That knowledge could be/could have been used to get a better offer out of the Brewers.

Though, it seems like a trade didn't get done, as it's now 37 minutes past the deadline.

Can AZ put Davis back on revocable waivers after having revoked him?

Endaround was right. The Dbacks insisted in mid-July that they wanted to extend Davis. It sounds like they want to extend him for 1 year, 2 at most. Davis is viewing this as his last big contract and likely wants around 3 years $27-33 million to set himself up for life. The Dbacks should look at 3 years, but if they try one or two, Davis will want more cash. I hope a deal gets done, as the Brewers would then have a chance to extend him

Crap, now we get stuck watching Burns tomorrow. Can't we find someone interesting to start tomorrow?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"88.6% of all statistics are made up right there on the spot" Todd Snider

-Posted by the fan formerly known as X ellence. David Stearns has brought me back..

Oh my how could they drop the ball on this one? Doug Davis over Jeff Suppan all the time. Ah well, I personally think Vargas could be more effective than Suppan. I hope they start to stretch Vargas out some more and get him into the rotation in September. Relegate Suppan to pitching batting practice when games are out of reach.

Archived