Brewer Fanatic

Brewers claim Doug Davis on Waivers; 2-days to work out deal (Update 8/14: Deadline passed, no deal)

The Ignitor
  • Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'd like to see him pitching for the Crew, but it's simply not enough. Why would Arizona give up its sandwich pick? I'd pay 3 mil. for a late 1st rounder every time. I honestly can't see him changing teams.

I don't want to see any pitcher at the lower levels traded for Davis.
Same here. I am all about getting Davis, and while it probably won't make a huge difference he could at least help give us a respectable record at the end of the season. But if they have to give up Mark Rogers or Mike Jones for him, I would pass.

Formerly BrewCrewIn2004

@IgnitorKid

I would like to see Doug Davis back also but only if the Brewers intend to offer arbitration for next year. Having said that I would expect Davis to get $10-11M in arbitration so the cost will be high. Davis' record this year is very good except for his walks but that is nothing new. If he maintains his current ERA for the rest of the year he will get paid regardless of the flaws with that statistic. I know the Brewers can save $6M by not signing Looper but the fact remains that there is only so much money. In addition posters often talk about improving the major league rotation but the fact remains that in fact you don't need 5 starters you need 8, three to fill in for injuries if you are going to have a good staff. Obviously, all 8 starters don,t have to be on the major league roster and 2-3 could be prospects at AA or AAA but the Brewers don't have any of those even though they have a few guys they could try like Cody and Jones. Even with Doug Davis if Melvin can pull off a trade there is a lot of work to be done and money to be spent.

What the Brewers really need is for a couple of low level pitching prospects to blossom quicker than expected. Maybe Butler is one of those but there seem to be so many good pitching performances at A+, A, and the Pioneer league the Brewers will get lucky.

If Arizona just decides to let him go or if we end up just having to give up a Vinny Rottino type of prospect, that would be okay. Anything more then that, then I'd just rather the Brewers pass. The season is already over, so there's no point in giving up too much to pick him up. Even with the chance of getting a type B sandwhich pick.

Also, if I read the blog correctly, I believe the comments Haudricourt used from Melvin were all from the time during the July 31st trading deadline. The only recent comment from Melvin was that he wasn't allowed to comment on waiver claims.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
If we're spending 2.6 mil (or so) on Davis for the rest of the year, for the sake of getting the type B comp, losing any kind of even decent prospect really makes that a silly move. Like someone else said, if it's a Vinny Rottino type, sure fine. On the other hand, why would AZ want to potentially give up a type B comp pick for the sake of getting a Vinny Rottino? Yes, there's a little bit of salary relief, but this one just doesn't make too much sense.

Makes no sense to me either. They are better off continuing to audition Villanueva as a starter. After all, they have no guy in their organization other than Gallard under 26 that has started 25 career games with an ERA under 4.50 in those starts.

Melvin needs someone to pitch, so he put a claim in. I doubt he is willing to give up anyone of significance at this point. He might not be willing to give up anything and thought about the possibility of Zona giving him up for nothing ala Rios.

I also think if Melvin brings Davis in it will be at a minimal cost if any in terms of players, only the financial cost. I doubt Arizona will offer arbitration if they keep Davis, and I would think Melvin feels comfortable in offering arbitration to Davis. I would prefer that he would bolt, but he might not and that is the decision Melvin would face. The claim is about this year, but also about next year whether it be an addition to the rotation or getting that pick.

Ken Rosenthal of FoxSports has a minor update. He repeats what has already been reported that the Brewers are not confident that they will acquire Davis and the Diamondbacks are not inclined to move him. However he also adds:

"A deal must be completed by 1 p.m. ET on Friday, according to a major-league source."

Archived