Brewer Fanatic

Brewers claim Doug Davis on Waivers; 2-days to work out deal (Update 8/14: Deadline passed, no deal)

The Ignitor

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'd do the 3-million. Even if they are out of it, maybe Davis will help save some young arms extra wear. If he saves the pen some, then perhaps Gallardo can be limited to only 5-innings per start, or skipped in September once or twice if they are out it. 3-million to protect Gallardo is worth it.

Davis is projected to be a Type B free agent after this year. Which would mean he could bring back a sandwich pick if the Brewers offer arbitration and he declines. I would think this would increase his value a little.

If this cost us a player who has a chance to be even a backup player in the majors it is too high a price unless he really is a type B and that is why they are doing it. Davis is nowhere near good enough to make a difference for this season.

Per http://www.azcentral.com/...s/Blog/NickPiecoro/60148 the Dbacks are not looking to dump salary. I have a tough time believing that and am guessing they are just publicly negotiating to try and get a player back. I don't see a benefit to them keeping Davis. They let Dunn walk, I have a hard time thinking they want to spend another $2.5M+ to keep Davis so they can offer him arb, hoping he turns it down and gets a compensation pick.

Hopefully the Brewers won't give up more than a marginal player that doesn't project to have a career as a Brewer, be it Katin or some other position player.

Getting Davis for the remainder of the year really is a no-lose situation for the Brewers. You offer him arby and he either leaves for a comp pick, accepts, giving us a majorly needed 3-ish starter for next year. Not to mention that he is quite likely to be interested in re-signing with the Brewers regardless.

Not exactly M2S. Davis fits both molds, as he was a Ranger before he was a Brewer.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I meant the statement as a general philosophy not about this one transaction as they have picked up Vargas, Weathers, and have been trying to re-acquire Davis for several weeks.

I understand how you could be confused as people generally react first on this board to negate others comments before actually thinking through all of the transactions or scenarios that led to said comments.

(edit: long row of "------------" caused scrolling --1992)

Archived