Brewer Fanatic

Melvin Press Conference, 3:00 PM CT

hawing
  • Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply
This may belong in another thread but considering it was brought up during the PC... How can Macha be back next year? He was given a 2 year contract IIRC. You can't bring him back in the last year of the contract and deal with the questions the whole year. You either have to extend his contract in the offseason or fire him. Unless things change drastically in the next 6 weeks I don't see him getting a contract extension. Especially considering the lineup is likely to included Gamel, Escobar and maybe even Cain. He doesn't seem like the right manager for that team.

Seriously, how can a GM and the manager he just hired before the start of this season have such a disconnect in terms of what is best for this team? Macha certainly does not seem to be falling in line and backing his boss on these moves. Is he clueless, doesn't give a crap if he gets canned because things aren't going as he thought they would, or what? If he does get canned, how can he expect to get a third chance at managing in the big leagues after how his first two turned out? Very bizarre.

May as well start McGehee,Hurricane, Escobar, and Gamel the rest of the year. (Each would get at least 4-5 starts a week.) If you're making drastic moves, may as well give these young guys a chance to play. I agree with bringing up Heether and Salome or Lucroy too. At this point why not? I rather have a window to see their major league potential rather than worry about service time. Service time doesn't matter if you're not sure if they can be long-term options. Sit or deal Counsell and Lopez and move on to the future. Oh, while we're at it, give Cody a few starts...

I'd love to be one of the players that is only starting because Macha's boss is forcing him too. When Macha signed the contract did he not understand what the teams philosophy was going to be? When you look at the roster and how many players were home grown, didn't Macha wonder how they got there? You have to play the young guys in order for them to be veterans.

I'd have a hard time believing you can't throw six of those AAA guys into the order with Braun and Fielder and win more games than the current outfit the past two months anyway.
Right. Even if the Brewers are still in the playoff race, why is Macha afraid of Gamel, Escobar and other replacement minor leaguers? He makes the assumption that they can't perform to the level of Counsell, Hall, or Catt, but until they are in the lineup everyday, you won't know. Look at the White Sox and Gordon Beckham or Coghlan in Florida. Take a chance Mr. Macha.

I have to admit Macha is making me appreciate Yost if that is possible.
I was just thinking the same thing. I sure was excited about getting Macha in the off-season, but he doesn't seem like he adapts well when the situation changes. I suppose he'd look a lot smarter if our pitchers could pitch though. Never the less, getting dominated at home by inferior teams on a regular basis is unacceptable.

Bring Don Money in and end it Doug.

Money is even worse than Macha. Bring in a good manager, not Money.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"88.6% of all statistics are made up right there on the spot" Todd Snider

-Posted by the fan formerly known as X ellence. David Stearns has brought me back..

The irony is that Macha seems adverse to playing rookies consistently, mainly because he is trying to win games to keep his job, yet his job is in jeopardy because of his reluctance to play the rookies on a consistent basis. That and not winning games. And running Looper and Suppan out there when its fairly certain they are about to get shelled. That and playing Kendall everyday, and even leading him off in the lineup on occasion. That and putting a pitcher in the top 10 of abuse given he has not pitched an entire season in the bigs yet. And whatever. I don't see him back. Mark A is tolerable to an extent, but I bet he hates the fans booing more than anyone.

Its really sad to see the season turn out this way. Escobar needs to play every day. So does Gamel. Craig Counsel is having a terrific season, but really, what is the point of him starting? I just wish there was a way to get Irabarren and McGehee in every day too. You have to see what Irabarren can do and McGehee is a very promising young player, exactly the kind this team needs to plug in around Braun and Fielder. This is going to be a VERY interesting off season.

Money is even worse than Macha. Bring in a good manager, not Money.
Don Mattingly or Kremblas please. I could even go with someone like Boa I think I spelled his name right. Maybe even Ted Simmons but I think that bridge has been burned. How about Phil Garner for another go around this time he will have more talent to work with than he originally had back in the early and mid 90's.

http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/53065632.html

Sounds like Attanasio was not happy with the team's performance, and acknowledges how much fans have been supporting the team.

"It makes me and Doug feel we have to give 100% effort on our part to give those fans a winner," he said. "We had 37,000 fans last night watching us get blasted by the Padres. Not to mention the people watching on TV, listening on radio, following the game on their communicators. That's not fun for anybody. Those fans deserve a better performance than that."

"Completely performance-based decisions," he said. "Doug and his staff evaluate these things in a painstaking manner. Doug may have said, from his standpoint, he may have wondered if he was too patient. I have no issues with the amount of time he took to make the decision."

The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

Kudos to Mark for making that statement. People may say he is too involved, but you know what this is HIS operation. He is in tune with what is going on on the field and in the stands. I do not think they should allow the fans booing to influence their decisions all the way, but what he said about last nights performance is 100% accurate. The organization as a whole should be embarrassed by the performance on the field over the last 60 days. The pitching staff is an absolute joke (aside from Gallardo) and players like Hardy, Hall, Hart, and Kendall just flat out are not getting the job done.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
Macha should be fired for insubordination. Bring Don Money in and end it Doug.
I like the idea of Money. But really we need someone who isn't afraid to try new things when their "way" isn't working. We need someone who is somewhat flexible unlike the "crusty" Macha. Bobby V might be that guy.

I like the idea of Money. But really we need someone who isn't afraid to try new things when their "way" isn't working. We need someone who is somewhat flexible unlike the "crusty" Macha. Bobby V might be that guy.
I think Valentine is loving it over in Japan and it would take a lot to pry him away from there. Same with the USA baseball coach I don't think he will be available either unless the Brewers over pay for him.

Archived