Brewer Fanatic

Brewer interest in Baldelli? Now Crawford?

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Quote:
storm, sure pitching depth is important but everyday players with the skills and track record of Baldelli who is just 25 and tied up through 2011 for a mere $26 million do not come along everyday. It is not unreasonable to expect Baldelli to post a .300 BA, 20-30 HR per year, play a solid CF, steal some bases and be a cornerstone player

Although I see your side, and I agree that having that type of player at that age would be great, I'm still not sure if I'm sold on the idea. We're talking about 3 pre-29 year old pitchers, two of whom I happen to think could be very good for quite some time (Cap and Vill), especially Vill. At 22, he gave us all a delicious sip of of the full bottle this past year...those 3 should, in my opinion, net us not just a "potentially" great player, but a "proven" star.

Maybe 2 of the three, but not all three.

Plus, I still look at it from a replacement standpoint: which is easier, 1 good outfielder, or 3 good/above average arms?

And yes, I apologize for what may be the weirdest analogy I've ever used in my life. I have no idea where that came from, and again, I humbly apologize. "Delicious sip..."? What did I drink tonight? Yikes.

Seeing what the Devil Rays are requested from the O's, I don't think they would be interested in Aquino, Cappellan and Villanueva for Baldelli. From the Baltimore Sun,

"The Orioles are very intrigued by Tampa Bay Devil Rays center fielder Rocco Baldelli, who is said to be available. However, one American League executive, who was aware of the Devil Rays' asking price for Baldelli, said it would probably take Loewen and Ray for Tampa Bay to sign off on the deal.

The Orioles might do one of the pitchers for the oft-injured Baldelli, but not both."

Well at this point Villanueva has shown about as much as Loewen has in the bigs, and Capellan and Aquino address the bullpen areas quite nicely. I dont think the Brewers are that far off. And if the Orioles are only offering one of those two that makes the BRewes offer all the more attractive.

I don't see why the Rays would want Aquino if they were to get Capellan. As pointed out earlier, at this point, Aquino is just a guy....who once was a closer. He is, for all intents and purposes, Fausto Carmona. That said, I have a hard time believing that, given the price of centerfielders this offseason, Doug Melvin wouldn't put his Herbie Hancock on such a trade, even if you replaced Aquino with a better nugget.

I would trade for baldelli in an instant. I wanted to trade overbay for an injured baldelli last year.

something to think about that is very rarely included on this board in the same paragraph that includes praise for our pitching prospects: how many times have we said our minor league hitters' stats are not as great as other teams' prospects because we play in pitchers' parks? if the brewers play in pitchers' parks, then wouldn't our pitchers' stats also be just a little bit inflated? Everybody says Huntsville is a big pitchers' park. then wouldn't we expect the players that pitch at huntsville to have great pitching stats?

hendrickson posted tremendous stats in the minors as did Eveland. however, once they arrived to the majors, they were both less than mediocre. the same could be said for many other over hyped brewer minor league pitching prospects in the past and currently.

if you can acqquire a proven star MLB player in crawford or baldelli, I say the time is now to part ways with one or two of those prospects before the world knows they are just the second coming of hendrickson and teams offer us guys like gross, nix and mench for them.

? The Devil Rays for now wisely are rejecting overtures for outfielders Carl Crawford and Rocco Baldelli, who as young established players under cheap contracts are exactly the building blocks the team needs. If they can establish at least two of their next wave of youngsters -- Elijah Dukes, Delmon Young and B.J. Upton -- then they could begin to think of dealing from positional depth for pitching.

sportsillustrated.cnn.com...tte/1.html

I never really understood the Devil Rays desire to trade either Crawford or Baldelli, and now it looks like they're rethinking that plan.

Now where do we turn?

EDIT: I'm really beginning to think we should dump Mench, Clark, and maybe add a prospect to somehow bring in a marginal starter (hopefully young with upside who has yet to fully establish). Then trade Graffy for a RH outfielder to platoon with Jenkins and be over with it.

Jenkins - Hall - Hart - RH - Gross

i havent read this whole post, but why would the brewers be interested in baldelli when tony gwynn is almost ready to make the big leagues. i have a feeling they are the same type of player. plus that trade would severely weaken or already weak pitching staff.

Quote:
i havent read this whole post, but why would the brewers be interested in baldelli when tony gwynn is almost ready to make the big leagues. i have a feeling they are the same type of player

Ho boy, get ready for the Gwynn bashers to jump on that one.

I like TGJr alot, and would like to see him get a chance, but even I don't think he's as good as Baldelli.

i have a feeling they are the same type of player.

I think I've spotted the problem.

Gwynn will never ever have the type of power Baldelli has. Gwynn would be lucky to slug over .400, which is why many here feel he will never be an effective starter. (Very low slugging also effects other aspects such as a pitchers willingness to throw strikes and thus resulting in less walks, further lowering Gwynn's contributions.)

i don't think TGJ and Baldelli are the same type of player at all. TGJ is definitely more of a speedy leadoff type, whereas Baldelli seems more of a power bat better suited to the 3 or 5 hole. Though it would be nice to get a great true leadoff hitter (like a Crawford), it would be hard to pass up Baldelli if given the chance to get him (though that seems more unlikely as the days pass).
This is Jack Burton in the Pork Chop Express, and I'm talkin' to whoever's listenin' out there.

i havent read this whole post, but why would the brewers be interested in baldelli when tony gwynn is almost ready to make the big leagues. i have a feeling they are the same type of player.

TGJ can't even begin to dream about imagining having a .850 OPS.

Quote:
I'd do that in a second. He's a CF, which Crawford is not (though I like Crawford more as a player, Baldelli probably fits better).

Actually Crawford is a pretty decent CF, it's just that Baldelli is a better option out there for the Rays.

For the Brewers, Crawford probably becomes the best option in CF, he's better than Clark/ Gross/ Hart and is probably better that Billy Hall would ever hope to be out there.

He has played roughly 50 games in CF in his MLB career.

Archived