Brewer Fanatic

Link Report for Wed. 8/12 -- Big League Blow-Up Day, the Kids Keep Pluggin'

Mass Haas

Brewer Fanatic Staff

Wednesday's Menu:

Times Central; pitchers subject to change --

Nashville: LHP Sam Narron at Salt Lake (Angels), 7:40 PM pre-game; 8:05 gametime

Live Audio Link

Huntsville: RHP Brandon Kintzler at Mobile (Diamondbacks), 6:50 PM pre-game; 7:05 gametime

Live Audio Link

Brevard County: RHP Amaury Rivas at home vs. Dunedin (Blue Jays), 6:05 PM gametime

Sorry, no audio for this series

Wisconsin: RHP Wily Peralta at Cedar Rapids (Angels), 6:20 PM pre-game; 6:35 gametime; LHP Evan Frederickson will also pitch

Live Audio Link

Helena: RHP Jake Odorizzi at home vs. Ogden (Dodgers), 7:50 PM pre-game; 8:05 gametime

Live Audio Link

Arizona Summer League: Idle

Dominican Summer League Brewers / Orioles: at the DSL Royals (see this thread for some roster background) -- all games are 10:30 local time in the Dominican, and no need to ask about web audio; we usually won't see updated box scores until the overnight...

Brewer Fanatic Staff

Follow Wednesday's action as it happens:

Here's what you do, right click on each of the links below and choose "Open in New Tab or New Window". Choose "Recap". While you're listening to your minor league game of choice (or watching/listening to the big league Crew when they are playing), simply refresh your game log browsers every so often.

MiLB.com now has Gameday available for AA as well as AAA this season.

Nashville:

http://web.minorleaguebaseball.com/milb/stats/stats.jsp?sid=milb&t=g_box&gid=2009_08_12_nasaaa_slcaaa_1

Huntsville:

http://web.minorleaguebaseball.com/milb/stats/stats.jsp?t=g_box&gid=2009_08_12_hunaax_mobaax_1&did=t559&sid=t559

Brevard County:

http://www.minorleaguebaseball.com/milb/stats/stats.jsp?sid=t503&gid=2009_08_12_dunafa_breafa_1&cid=503&t=g_box

Wisconsin:

http://web.minorleaguebaseball.com/milb/stats/stats.jsp?t=g_box&gid=2009_08_12_wisafx_cedafx_1&did=t572&sid=t572

Helena:

http://web.minorleaguebaseball.com/milb/stats/stats.jsp?t=g_box&gid=2009_08_12_ogdrok_helrok_1&did=t433&sid=t433

Dominican Summer League Brewers / Orioles:

http://web.minorleaguebaseball.com/milb/stats/stats.jsp?sid=milb&t=g_box&gid=2009_08_12_dobrok_dryrok_1

Brewer Fanatic Staff

This link will be included in each daily report when the Nashville Sounds are scheduled to play. Normally it is updated a few hours prior to gametime.

Nashville Media Notes (Adobe .pdf format):

We're going to include the link to Kraig McNutt's Nashville blog in the same post as the Nashville media notes link going forward.

"Voice of the Rattlers" Chris Mehring's informative and entertaining Rattlers Radio Blog includes game notes an hour or two before gametime.

Brewer Fanatic Staff
 Pacific Coast League (AAA) - PCL American North Division Standings ------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Team W L PCT GB HOME ROAD STREAK ------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Memphis 63 54 .538 - 37-22 26-32 W4 Nashville 63 55 .534 0.5 34-25 29-30 W2 Iowa 59 58 .504 4.0 35-22 24-36 W1 Omaha 47 69 .405 15.5 23-34 24-35 L3 ------------------------------------------------------------------------------- 

Southern League (AA) - SOU North Division Standings ------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Team W L PCT GB HOME ROAD STREAK ------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Chattanooga 25 20 .556 - 16-10 9-10 W1 West Tenn 23 22 .511 2.0 10-10 13-12 W1 Tennessee 23 23 .500 2.5 9-12 14-11 L1 Carolina 17 28 .378 8.0 7-13 10-15 L1 Huntsville 16 28 .364 8.5 7-12 9-16 W1 ------------------------------------------------------------------------------- 

Florida State League (A+) - FSL North Division Standings ------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Team W L PCT GB HOME ROAD STREAK ------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Tampa 31 11 .738 - 11-7 20-4 W1 Brevard County 25 17 .595 6.0 16-10 9-7 L2 Dunedin 24 19 .558 7.5 14-8 10-11 W4 Clearwater 21 21 .500 10.0 11-10 10-11 L1 Lakeland 20 23 .465 11.5 8-9 12-14 W2 Daytona 18 25 .419 13.5 9-14 9-11 L6 ------------------------------------------------------------------------------- 

Pioneer League (R+) - PIO North Division Standings ------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Team W L PCT GB HOME ROAD STREAK ------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Missoula 5 3 .625 - 0-0 0-0 L2 Great Falls 4 4 .500 1.0 0-3 4-1 W2 Billings 3 4 .429 1.5 0-0 0-0 L2 Helena 2 5 .286 2.5 1-1 1-4 L1 

Brewer Fanatic Staff

Well, I guess I can remove half of my signature now. Congratulations, Chris Bosio, Alcides Escobar, and Jason Bourgeois. Don't know why? You might want to visit the Major League Forum. It's been a busy day.

Nashville Pre-Game Audio Chat with Brewers Minor League Field Coordinator Charlie Greene

Angel Salome discussion in great detail, needless to say, you want to listen in...

Also from Tuesday night:

AUDIO: Adam Heether Two-Run Homer

Adam, you da man. For almost seven full seasons now...

I wondered if Peralta's absence had anything to do with the team laying off of him a little since he more than doubled his innings pitched from last year to this year, still just two years removed from TJ surgery. I wouldn't be surprised if he has a series of 3-4 inning starts to close out the season to try and cap him around 100.

Overall an exciting line of pitchers with Odorizzi and Rivas coming off of spectacular starts, even if Odorizzi's last appearance only lasted 2 innings.

Brewer Fanatic Staff

David Weiser's starsboxscore.com

Late storm puts a wrap on Braves series

11th rainout of '09 season breaks franchise record

Rain caused the cancellation of Tuesday night's game between the Mississippi Braves and the Huntsville Stars, the final meeting between these two teams for the year....... They split the 14 games played between them during the year. It was the first time in four years that the Stars failed to end their season series with a winning advantage.

This is not the same as saying they were rained out. The tarp which was put on the infield between 6:00 and 6:30 started puffing up, then threatening to take off like a single-engine plane. Suddenly, from everywhere, office staff and security personnel started running onto the field, trying to tame the grey beast. It was almost like watching cowhands tame a mustang. Big aluminum benches from the dugouts were dragged out to add weight to the edges, but just as they were about to do this, lightning showed up for the party...... To hell with this. No one was going to give their life for a tarp...... So with the infield partly covered, a tractor still on the field near second base, and torrents of rain cascading down, blown by the wind inside the open concourse and dripping from the ancient overhead gaps in the sealing, the game gave in to the 30-40 mph gusts and the storm that had been looming since early afternoon...... The rain stopped by 7:10 PM, but the Braves had their equipment on the bus, and the bus had moved out, on its way to Montgomery. The infield between 2nd and 3rd base was a big puddle...... Had time been on their side, and the tarp protecting the field, I'm sure the game could have gotten underway, but such as it is, it became officially the 11th rainout of the season for the Stars -- a franchise record. Eight of them have occurred at the Joe, another record.

It's too bad, too....... The Stars may have carried some of that momentum from Monday's rousing 8-2 victory, which broke a six-game losing streak, the longest of the season (they had two other streaks of six games this season)...... David Welch won his 6th game, giving him an all-time franchise total of 17 with the Stars, tying him with Stacy Hollins for 14th place. Welch has won two of his four starts since the All-Star break.

With the promotion of Robert Hinton to Nashville, I'm going to switch my focus on the record books to Drew Anderson, who is climbing the ladder on seven different categories -- batting, on-base pct., slugging, hits, doubles, triples, and total bases. Currently, Drew is 8th on the Stars' all-time list in batting (.307) and doubles (52)...... Keep up with the Drew Anderson watch on the Standings link....... Hinton, by the way, made his debut with the Nashville Sounds Saturday, August 8, pitching a scoreless inning on the road vs. Colorado Springs. Monday, he gave up a run on two hits in 2 1/3 innings at Salt Lake City.

Averaging 2½ runs a game during their six-game losing streak, the Stars scored in five of eight innings on a steamy 90° evening, ending with a three-run 7th in a retribution win against the M'Braves, who won the first three games of this series..... Kevin Melillo snapped a 2-for-23 slump with a single and a 3rd inning leadoff triple down the right field line..... Anderson, his bat still blazing (10-for-24 in his last six games), collected three hits, propelling him past Tony Gwynn, Jr. and Toby Kominek to settle into a 14th place tie with Bucky Jacobsen in all-time total bases...... Lorenzo Cain went 2-for-4, hitting safely in his 4th straight game, and raising his average again over the Mendoza line, driving in the Stars' first run in the 2nd inning, then scoring, and driving in Melillo in the 3rd with a liner behind 2nd base..... Everyone, including David Welch, hit safely in this game, except for Taylor Green, who is in a horrific 0-for-19 spin.

The Stars won't miss highly-regarded prospect Jason Heyward, ranked as the Braves' #2 prospect. He was 14-for-36 against Stars pitching (.389) with four doubles, a triple, and three HRs...... Matt Young, 7-for-17 (.412) in this series, hit .360 against the Stars and stole six bases and Concepcion Rodriguez, with considerably less power, finished with a .370 average against the Stars in ten games....... Chuckie Caufield and Yohannis Perez were the top hitters against the Braves this year. Caufield hit .348 in 13 games, his best mark against any team so far this year, and Perez hit .389 with three doubles, a home run, and seven runs scored in 11 games, second only to the .407 he's hit against Mobile.

The Stars now travel to Mobile, who are going through a 3-7 month....... Don't know if Brandon Kintzler, the scheduled starter for the final game against Mississippi, will start the opener at The Hank. Mike Jones (3-4, 4.60) was otherwise scheduled to start for the Stars against Bay Bears lefty Tom Layne (0-1, 6.75)...... The Stars made one roster change earlier Tuesday, getting 6'5" Canadian right-handed pitcher Jim Henderson from Brevard County. Henderson pitched last year briefly for the Tennessee Smokies. Henderson started the year pitching for the Wisconsin Timber Rattlers, then was promoted to Brevard County on June 24, leaving a brilliant 1.07 ERA and 17 saves. Henderson continued his mastery with the Manatees, leaving them with a 3-0 record, a 2.76 ERA, and holding FSL batters to a .160 batting average in 29+ innings. He's given up just one run in his last 12 1/3 innings...... Henderson was originally a draft pick of the Montreal Expos in 2003, then was selected by the Cubs in the 2007 Rule 5 draft. Last year, he started the season with the Smokies and after five appearances, and was promoted to Class AAA-Iowa (PCL)...... Wednesday, the Stars placed Donovan Hand on the 7-day DL with an undisclosed injury and welcomed back righty Nick Green (0-2, 2.92), who was to have been reassigned with the promotion of aforementioned Henderson.

The Brewers stunned fans with a couple of surprise moves, optioning shortstop J.J. Hardy to Nashville, designating outfielder Bill Hall for reassignment, and firing pitching coach Bill Castro and replacing him with former Stars pitching coach Chris Bosio...... Hardy was an All-Star as recently as 2007, but has been in a hitting slump while playing regularly most of the year. He's batting .229 this season with 11 HRs....... Hall went 3-for-15 in four games after his return from Nashville and was hitting an overall .201 with six HRs, a far cry from the 35-HR season he had in 2006. From a high of .291 in 2005, his season batting marks have taken a Tom Tresh-like dive -- .270 in 2006, .254 in 2007, .225 last year....... Nashville's leadoff hitter Jason Bourgeois and Alcides Escobar were promoted to Milwaukee, replacing Hall and Hardy....... The Brewers also acquired pitcher David Weathers from Cincinnati. He made his first appearance last night against San Diego. The Lawrenceburg, Tennessee native has been all over the major and minor league map, and was a starter for the Knoxville K-Jays in 1991.

The Wisconsin TimberRattlers, Milwaukee's Midwest League farm team, will have a Brett Lawrie bobblehead night on September 3rd. Lawrie, the Brewers' #1 draft pick a year ago, is hitting .262 for Wisconsin with 11 HRs and 57 RBIs....... Shrouding their bobblehead night Monday with a lot of mystery, it was revealed to be --- Microwave Dave, a local musician with a large local following, and a rabid (sorry Homer) Stars fan, whose music introduces the base race, featuring Homer, between innings at every game. I couldn't find many fans who were happy with the selection...... Shane Justis is one of the early favorites for the Rocky Award (scroll down on link) this year.

The Stars will be on the road July 4 of next year...... The Tennessee Smokies report on their web site that they will host Huntsville for Independence Day.

Brewer Fanatic Staff

Wisconsin Press Release:

ANOTHER LAWRIE TO APPEAR AT TIME WARNER CABLE FIELD

GRAND CHUTE, WI - Wisconsin Timber Rattlers second baseman Brett Lawrie won't be the only Lawrie at Time Warner Cable Field on Friday, August 21. Danielle Lawrie, the reigning USA Softball Collegiate Player of the Year, will be on hand for the game against the Cedar Rapids Kernels. Brett and Danielle are brother and sister.

Danielle Lawrie pitched for Canada in the 2008 Olympics in Beijing and helped the University of Washington win the 2009 National Championship. She was named the most outstanding player of the Women's College World Series. She didn't just go 4-1 with a 1.88ERA and 49 strikeouts in 42-2/3 innings pitched during the CWS. Lawrie also hit a home run and drove in five runs.

After going 42-8 with 0.97 ERA and 521 strikeouts with two no-hitters and 21 shutouts, Lawrie was named Pac-10 Pitcher of the Year and won the Honda Award as the top female athlete in her sport. She has also been named as one of 10 finalists for the Sportswoman of the Year by the Women's Sports Foundation.

Danielle Lawrie will throw out a first pitch before the Timber Rattlers game. She will also be available to sign autographs for the first three innings of the game. The game against Kernels is scheduled to start at 7:05 PM.

http://www.cbc.ca/gfx/images/sports/photos/2008/06/18/DanielleLawrieWeb_bio.jpg

Brewer Fanatic Staff

Nashville Media Notes:

Pitching Coach Chris Bosio will be replaced in Nashville on an interim basis by Brewers roving crosschecker Jim Rooney, beginning on Monday. Rooney spent the previous five seasons as Milwaukee's pitching coordinator, where he oversaw the progress of each pitcher in the club's minor league system, before transferring to his current role for the 2009 season. Nashville currently ranks second in the PCL in team ERA (4.05) while allowing the fourth-fewest home runs (83).

Jonathan Lucroy has two more hits on the night, a single and a double. His average sits at .269 now and his OPS is now over .800. Not bad after his horrendous start. I would like to see what he can do in AAA.

Odorizzi and Peralta both sharp tonight.

Can't say the same for Evan Frederickson. He seemed to have it turned around for a couple months, but his delivery got out of whack for awhile now, and they don't get it fixed. the results are what you'd expect from a pitcher flying that for open in his delivery.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"88.6% of all statistics are made up right there on the spot" Todd Snider

-Posted by the fan formerly known as X ellence. David Stearns has brought me back..

Peralta was sharp.

Gamel starting to take off again.

Good to see Ordorizzi again.

Wooten gives up a run again. That is four straight outings with earned runs.

Maybe it is just unfair expectations - but Lawrie has been a bit of a disappointment for me this season.

Peralta looked real good today 91-94 on the gun and topping out at 97. Struggled with control early but settled in nicely, Fredrickson not so much, even his warm-up tosses were giving McCraw a work out. I could live with the lack of control for now if his velocity was strong, but he never even got it to 90 once. I think his delivery hides the ball well, but it doesnt matter when the catcher is having to jump to catch the ball.

Nashville Pre-Game Audio Chat with Brewers Minor League Field Coordinator Charlie Greene

Angel Salome discussion in great detail, needless to say, you want to listen in...

When did he get a new title? Wasn't he officially the roving catching instructor previously? At any rate, what an excellent interview, I found the part where the he was talking about Angel getting the blame when a pitcher does poorly but the pitcher getting all the credit when they pitch curious. It really isn't that one sided is it? I guess I've never considered it, I give the pitcher the credit either way.

Lucroy is wrapping up the season well.

Rivas! Odorizzi! Since July 1st, Peralta has issued 21 BBs in 28.2IP... I hope he's running out of gas and it's not something else.

Jeffers with a .1IP save that seems completely unnecessary looking at the game log.

It's nice to see WI in the win column.

"You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation."

- Plato

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."

- Plato

Odorizzi! Peralta! Rivas! Lucroy! Green! Cain! Good day for prospects all around (except Frederickson)!

I was just going to post about Lawrie and thoughts of him repeating low A; I'm all for it, as it never hurts to get his confidence up and if he starts dominating next year they can move him up. I don't think moving him up to Brevard and their tough hitting environment for righties will help Lawrie.

Schafer with a hit, a walk, and an OF assist - I think that's assist #12 on the season. I had a hunch that the Brewers were really high on him because of how much PT he got during spring training. His walk rate has gotten better and is above .800 OPS in Brevard - no easy task. I would not be at all surprised if he is the opening day CF in 2011. Makes the loss of Brantley much more palatable, but it would have been nice to have Brantley ready in CF so they can free Cam's $10M to go towards pitching.

Pretty amazing that Axford has his ERA down to 3.32 in Nashville already considering the blowup game he had. Since that blowup game he has this line: 11.1 IP, 3 H, 0 ER, 4 BB (unfortunately three in one game blowing the save), 13 K. Punch his plane ticket for Milwaukee as soon as Nashville's season is over.

it would have been nice to have Brantley ready in CF so they can free Cam's $10M to go towards pitching.
The same Brantley that has a .686 OPS in AAA? If Brantley was still here, I don't think it would've made any difference in their decision on Cam since he clearly isn't ready.

Archived