Brewer Fanatic

Bill Castro fired, Bosio called up

Diskono

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Too bad for Billy. Probably should have stuck with the bullpen job since he's been here so long and seemed to love Milwaukee and found a niche in that role. Can't blame him for wanting to move up the ladder, but it's a lesson for those in life that can't find contentment and always want the bigger and better deal.

I must be able to see the future because I brought up my old Castro thread prior to seeing this one. I feel bad for the guy but this had to be done. Castro has done an awful job with this staff. Now Macha needs to go and Melvin needs to hire Bobby Valentine who is leaving Japan.

Can't blame him for wanting to move up the ladder, but it's a lesson for those in life that can't find contentment and always want the bigger and better deal.

????

This is not a reasonable statement. Castro is not to blame for our bad pitching.

I wonder if this stuff is Mark A. or Melvin. Either way it's bad.

I agree. This is the beginning of the end of Melvin.

EDIT: This reminds me of the Yost firing -- I don't think DM fires a pitching coach at this point in the season -- I think Mark A. did this. I really think this is the end of DM.

Are you telling me he'd have been canned had he kept his job as the bullpen coach???

My point isn't that he was horrible as a pitching coach and deserved to go. But the staff struggled mightily, so the guy with no track record as a pitching coach now will not be able to coach in his beloved Milwaukee.

Good move. Wait, is Castro the guy whose to blame for the Yankees offering CC Sabathia a monster contract that the Brewers had no chance at mtching and caused Ben Sheets to be constantly injured and replace them with Braden Looper and a carousel of minor leaguers and offer Jeff Suppan an idiotic contract?

Are you telling me he'd have been canned had he kept his job as the bullpen coach???

No, I was telling you that saying Castro should have been "content as the BP coach" was unreasonable. Castro had as much to do with the success and failures of our pitchers over his tenure than any of the pitching coaches.

My point isn't that he was horrible as a pitching coach and deserved to go. But the staff struggled mightily, so the guy with no track record as a pitching coach now will not be able to coach in his beloved Milwaukee.

Ok. Fair enough, I better understand your position.

I questioned the Castro hiring when it happened. As much as I wanted him to succeed, I just didn't think he would. Like some said, there was a reason he was a bullpen coach for so long. And while I also don't blame him entirely for the pitcher's struggles, just about every starter is having his worst year (ERA-wise) in a long time (from Brew Crew Ball). I don't know if it's just bad luck that all guys are pitching worse than their career ERA or if Castro has something to do with it. Probably a bit of both.
This is Jack Burton in the Pork Chop Express, and I'm talkin' to whoever's listenin' out there.

I wonder if this stuff is Mark A. or Melvin. Either way it's bad. Either Mark A. is getting to hands-on with the team, or Melvin is throwing everyone overboard in a lame attempt to save this season and his own behind.

A bit of both, perhaps? Mark tells Doug fix it or you are gone. Doug commences a series of desperation moves.

Well you can't blame Castro for Suppan and Looper and the other pitchers. I could see someone blaming Castro for Parra and Gallardo pitching erratically this year. The bullpen has been really good this year and if it wasn't for it being over used it would probably be the best bullpen in the NL.

I don't see how you can blame Castro for this pitching staff. You had to expect Looper and Suppan to be getting worse maybe not Looper but you knew Suppan wasn't going to improve and he would be a 5.00 ERA type of a pitcher that is just who Suppan is. There would be nothing that Castro could have done to make Suppan better or worse. If Suppan had a 3.00 ERA would that be because of Castro?

The idea that Attanasio is behind these moves is pure speculation at this point. Let's keep all this in mind.

Melvin isn't an idiot. He saw how badly the team has been performing and made some moves that will at least help prepare the team for next season, if not improve things a bit for the remainder of the year.

The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

Everybody is calling for Melvin's head, but how do we know Mark A. isn't calling the shots here?

I absolutely believe MA is calling the shots here -- this does not seem like DM's M.O. here. I believe at some point MA is going to be sick of having to make changes to his team, and find a new GM.

Good lord, I can't believe all the hand wringing over some of these moves here.

The team was sucking, and everyone was screaming for changes to happen. You know, accountability, etc. Now that it's happening, everyone thinks Attanasio has a gun to Melvin's head, or that Melvin is desperately trying to save face? How about they are making fairly logicial (albeit aggressive) moves to try to salvage the season and/or see what they have for next season?

At any rate, these moves give me a good reason to pay attention to this team after last night's massacre, and for that I'm happy.

The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

Archived