Brewer Fanatic

JJ Hardy optioned to AAA- Latest: Per McCalvy, JJ will be left at AAA and add another year before free agency

Diskono
If people would just stop for a moment to think about these things it might aid in having a clearer perspective.

This is unbelievably condescending, considering you didn't even take the time to answer the actual question. Why would a FA care about how a team handles service time issues?

If you can't come up with a scenario in which that reflects poorly on how an organization treats it's players

than there's nothing I can say to help you out there. While the player won't have the service time issue to worry about should he sign with them, it will raise other doubts. Not to mention the players union and agents in that players ear about how the Brewers sent down JJ Hardy just in time to put off his FA a year. Thankfully, that's not what they chose to do.

Done with this topic.

• Replies 624
  • Created
  • Last Reply

you just won't be able to understand why Melvin is not going to do that to a player.

Thankfully, that's not what they chose to do.

Time will tell if your confidence in this scenario plays out. Hardy's call-up is not a foregone conclusion. If he continues to struggle at the plate at Nashville, and Escobar takes full advantage of his situation, Hardy may not earn his way back to Milwaukee. Two good years out of five does not earn the player the right to dictate how he is handled by a team, and I think most well-informed agents and union representatives would concur.

If you can't come up with a scenario in which that reflects poorly on how an organization treats it's players

than there's nothing I can say to help you out there

So rather than provide a simple answer, you choose to insult and then leave? FA typically go for the most money. They sometimes will take less money for other reasons like winning, family, geography. When has a FA chosen not to take the best offer available because of how a team handled service time issues with some unrelated player in the past?

At this point, it's still too early to know what's happening. If Hardy is performing well and isn't called back up after the 10 day minimum, we will have more information.

If Escobar plays well, and Hardy staying in AAA can garner an extra year of team control, then they have to keep him down there. I don't think you can come up with any excuse why they should do otherwise, other than "To be nice guys to J.J." This game is a business first, and you have to do what makes the best business sense to the franchise.
The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

I look at it this way. One of two things can happen. Escobar plays well, the team decides to trade Hardy, and Escobar starts next year, like people were predicting. Escobar struggles, Hardy comes back next season if they can't get much for him in trade, and Escobar continues to develop in AAA. I don't think either scenario is that horrible.
The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

Wow, just got back from work to see this, pretty surprising news. I don't know if it would be wise to manipulate JJ's service time so blatantly, for obvious reasons. For a guy like Hardy who is so good defensively at a premium position to get sent to the minors for putting up the line he has at the plate (obviously it's bad, but it's not that bad) seems a bit silly. This must just be a move of wanting to get Escobar some major league experience before next year, when the team (maybe) plans on contending? I just can't think of any other reason.

How is that comment condescending? Maybe challenging, but hardly condescending.

He said that I didn't take the time to think about this and because of this I didn't have a clear perspective. I have taken the time to think about. Agents don't do anything about players losing service time at the beginning of their careers. They aren't going to raise a stink about a player hitting as poorly as Hardy being demoted.

Its interesting how this move could end up trading a year of Escobar for another year of Hardy. I don't have a huge problem with it right now, but if Escobar isn't starting the far majority of games up here, Ken Macha better be doing Red Sox games next year.

How are Escobar's averages vs. righties and lefties this year? Is there anything to justify him saying that or is Macha just upset because they are asking him questions so close to his 4:30 dinner time?

These lefty/righty splits are getting out of control. Fielder now has the same BA either way. Why? Obviously he's a great hitter in general, but he has played every day against LHP! Gamel was fine vs LHP, but Macha refused to believe it. These young players need to face both, because if not now...when?? If it becomes obvious a guy is clearly over-matched THEN you take action. But for the love of God, let these guys PLAY if you bring them up!! Please?

How are Escobar's averages vs. righties and lefties this year? Is there anything to justify him saying that or is Macha just upset because they are asking him questions so close to his 4:30 dinner time?
That shouldn't matter. You don't bring your top prospects up and put them on the bench. The fact that it looks like Macha is going to do this with our top two prospects is just incompetence.

This move seems to be a bit dramatic and a little hypocritical considering how many chances Hall got over the last few years and that Kendall is still being run out there every day. Apparently Hardy's not playing with the same deck as the rest. This maybe belongs in another thread but Macha and Melvin don't seem to be on the same page. Escobar needs to play close to every day.

PLatooning Escobar is just @%+##+$ (Dumb Filter Wasn't even Bad). So they want to screw him up just like they screwed up Gamel.

Yeah real smart. The future infield in Milwaukee is obviously McGehee, COunsell, and Lopez. Give me a freaking break. You are just going to screw the kid up. What if we don't face a lefty for an entire week?

I like Escobar being up but a platoon situtation is just an idiotic idea.

Escobar vs. LHP: .356/.401/.500

Escobar vs RHP: .272/.331/.369

It's a significant difference but platooning top prospects is not a good idea.

By the way Bourgeois hit for higher average against righthanders though his OPS was higher vs LHP.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

Is it just me or should Ken Macha be coaching the SF Giants? Then he can run out Kendall and Counsell and whomever else is beyond the normal playing years every day to his heart's content.

I guess on the up-side, McGehee finally gets to play every day. Can't put Counsell in front of him now, if he is busy keeping Escobar on the bench. http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/frown.gif

Macha is paid to win. Counsel is his best present SS. Of course Counsel is going to play. The dumb move isn't Macha playing Counsel at SS, its Melvin calling up a SS from AAA who clearly isn't ready to hit in the majors.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"88.6% of all statistics are made up right there on the spot" Todd Snider

-Posted by the fan formerly known as X ellence. David Stearns has brought me back..

I really hope JJ Hardy stays down the minimum 20 days (or whatever it is). If the team is committed to Escobar, they will get much more value trading JJ Hardy with two years service time left instead of just one. I don't care if it makes him angry, his poor play this season has made me angry enough.

Archived