Brewer Fanatic

JJ Hardy optioned to AAA- Latest: Per McCalvy, JJ will be left at AAA and add another year before free agency

Diskono
I think the Brewers will shoot themselves in the foot if Hardy is not the starting shortstop next year. He'll have no trade value over the winter )at least none comensurate with his true worth) and he's got to right himself before we let go. I feel so strongly about this that I'd rather trade Escobar than Hardy, and I like Escobar way better than Hardy (and have been saying so for two years now). We can't give away players.

• Replies 624
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We can't give away players.

I hear you -- but we need to learn from situations like Bill Hall's -- where he had a down 2007, and then we hoped he would rebound, but then he had an even worse 2008, and even crappier 2009. Turnbow would be another player like Hall, where we gave him the chance to rebound but he went the way of the DFA rather than increased trade value.

It's a tough call -- optimally both Escobar and JJ are playing well -- and then we have all sorts of options -- hanging onto JJ though hoping he rebounds, seems like a Monday NFL bettor.

I feel so strongly about this that I'd rather trade Escobar than Hardy, and I like Escobar way better than Hardy (and have been saying so for two years now). We can't give away players.

So you're saying that we should trade Escobar (the younger player with more upside) just so that Hardy can have the chance to increase his trade value? What happens after we subsequently trade Hardy?

I've always thought of Hardy as a vastly over-rated fielder. His range is limited and he just might be the slowest SS at chasing fly balls I've seen. Certainly the slowest SS in his 20's...

But then I grew up in Baltimore watching Mark Belanger

Keeping Hardy over Escobar makes no sense at this point, at least from a business standpoint...if people really feel Escobar is not going to be at least a solid shortstop in the majors, then we've been sold a false bill of goods.

I also agree they should learn the lessons from keeping Hall and others too long, and trade Hardy this off-season when they can...after ensuring an extra year of team control. Two years of JJ Hardy will have some real value to several teams, I have to believe. They have to flip guys like Hardy to fill other needs, since signing through free agency usually is not feasible for a team like Milwaukee.

The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

Good thing the Brewers traded Fielder after his down 2008! Imagine having to deal with his 2009....

The reason to consider trading Escoabr is that right now he could bring more and would be more likely to bring in an established major league pitcher than Hardy due to success cycle concerns anyway.

I think the Brewers will shoot themselves in the foot if Hardy is not the starting shortstop next year. He'll have no trade value over the winter )at least none comensurate with his true worth)...

So not one GM in MLB will see Hardy's "true worth", yet you can?

Good thing the Brewers traded Fielder after his down 2008! Imagine having to deal with his 2009....

C'mon -- If you are going to be a knob, at least keep it relevant.

Fielder doesn't have a guy like Escobar pushing for his job -- We have been talking about trading JJ this off-season for quite some time now, long before his struggles. Keeping JJ around for the sake of increasing his trade value seems like a fools-errand to me.

The Hall and Hardy situations are not the same at all. Hardy, unlike Hall, could hit in the minors.

I think the Brewers hung on to Hall as long as they did, primarily in hopes his trade value would increase, I'd hate to see that mistake repeated.

I dont know what role minor league stats play in Hardy's future at this poin in his career.

I guess I should have been clearer. Hall's good years in the majors kind of came out of nowhere. He wasn't a good hitter in the minors. Hardy was a good hitter and we shouldn't expect his good years in the majors to be and aberration like Hall's.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

Anyone know if there's any truth to the rumor's that once again, the team asked Hardy to slide over to 3b and he told them to pound sand, so they sent him down?

"I wasted so much time in my life hating Juventus or A.C. Milan that I should have spent hating the Cardinals." ~kalle8

There is likely zero percent truth to any rumors of Hardy being asked to move to 3B anytime during this season. It's been pretty obvious (to all but Macha) that Gamel would be the man there soon (and also that McGehee can hit the baseball and that we still have hopes for Tyler Green someday somewhat soon).

I know. Our pitching might have been better than last in the NL. By the way, I was in favor of trading Fielder last off season, and I'll admit that it might not have been the best decision, but he's going to need to be flipped for pitching at some point. I'd still be in favor of trading him this off season for pitching unless a long term deal is realistic.

Just came across this at rotoworld. I know it is different as they've yet to play in the majors, but it really is very similar to if we keep JJ down to keep control of him an extra year.

"The A's have promoted first base prospect Chris Carter from Double-A Midland to Triple-A Sacramento."

"The A's have already said they won't call up Carter when rosters expand, and the same goes for third base prospect Brett Wallace. Of course, it has nothing to do with their numbers. Carter eclipsed 100 RBI Tuesday night, an impressive feat at the Double-A level where they only play 140 games. "

Once again, my position is that there is nothing wrong with keeping JJ down to control him through 2011.

Archived