Brewer Fanatic

JJ Hardy optioned to AAA- Latest: Per McCalvy, JJ will be left at AAA and add another year before free agency

Diskono

• Replies 624
  • Created
  • Last Reply
If this is actually true (and there's not any info we don't yet know), it's probably the dumbest move Melvin has made that I can recall. Not only is it an overreaction, it will undoubtedly hurt Hardy's trade value. And what's the point anyway? More playing time for Counsell? The season is over for the team anyway -- may as well have kept playing Hardy to see if he could bring his numbers up for when we try to move him. Even if the numbers didn't come back up a lot, a team seeing a guy with a "down year" looks a lot better than seeing that the player's club lost so much confidence in him that they sent him down...

Well, it seemed to work for Rickie, here's hoping!!!

Rickie was hurting the team (especially with his glove) at a time when it actually mattered. And we were trying to get Rickie to improve some things for our own benefit, so it made sense as we didn't have to be concerned about how the move appeared to potential suitors.

Well, it seemed to work for Rickie, here's hoping!!!

Rickie was hurting the team (especially with his glove) at a time when it actually mattered. And we were trying to get Rickie to improve some things for our own benefit, so it made sense as we didn't have to be concerned about how the move appeared to potential suitors.

I really don't like it either, but was trying to possibly look for a positive outcome. If he lights it up for a few weeks in AAA, comes back up and hits well in September it may still help his trade value. Either that, or maybe we showcase Escobar for a couple of months, trade him in the offseason and maybe get Hardy to sign a below market value contract due to his poor year. I don't think a positive outcome is likely for this move, but there is a chance I suppose.

Players at AAA still have to clear waivers to be traded, right? Specially if they were on the ML Roster?

Yes.

I see nothing wrong with this. The Brewers are not going anywhere this year anyway.

Why burn up Escobar's service time?

Not only is it an overreaction, it will undoubtedly hurt Hardy's trade value.

Yes. This does nothing good for us overall.

A guy in the transaction thread is claiming he is 85 % sure Hardy is getting traded and said he knows he is risking his credibility on the site. He said Hardy is being sent down for paperwork reasons so Escobar can start tonight. Here is to hoping he is right and we get a quality pitcher back.

Here is the post from Luke7799

At the risk of killing my own credibility on this site, I will just say that Hardy has been traded. I don't know to who yet or for what but Escobar is on his way to milwaukee. I am about 85% confident in this info. If I know more I will let everyone know.

I was told it was for paperwork reason's essentially, so Escobar can get here as soon as possible to play tonight. Like I said before, I am not 100% on the info so please don't take it as gospel. The person I got this from has been right before and wrong before but is generally reliable.

Brewer Fanatic Staff
Why burn up Escobar's service time?
Service time is a total non-issue here. Escobar isn't going to earn any super-two status by being called up in mid-August. And he'll need six full years of service time for free agency, and he was going to be the Opening Day shortstop next year regardless.

I have to agree, this greatly reduces the trade value of Hardy. And nothing like all eyes on me for Escobar. He has been jammed into a tough spot and he better start every game until September when they bring Hardy back up. They might as well of just brought up Salome too. Kendall isn't working the staff well this year, our team ERA is horrible.

Service time is a total non-issue here. Escobar isn't going to earn any super-two status by being called up in mid-August. And he'll need six full years of service time for free agency, and he was going to be the Opening Day shortstop next year regardless.

Thanks for correcting me.

I hope Macha plays him then.

He said Hardy is being sent down for paperwork reasons so Escobar can start tonight.

Hardy would have had to be claimed on waivers -- but at least this makes some degree of sense.

I would be willing to bet that the reason JJ was sent down is because he was unwilling to switch positions. I bet the brewers told JJ that Escobar will be brought up and asked JJ to move. JJ said no so they sent him down. I could see JJ changing his way of thinking pretty quick after being down in AAA for awhile. That is the only way this move makes any sort of sense. If what I said is not the case, then this is an absolutely terrible idea.

At least I have a reason to pay attention to the games again. I'll be interested to see how Escobar does.
Agreed. I like the move, especially if he is getting traded. He was killing his trade value the longer he played here anyway. This way, if he rakes in AAA, he will actually increase his value vs. continuing his season long slump with the Brewers. If he continues to suck in AAA, I doubt his value will sink any lower than it is now.

Poor Castro. Good luck Bosio, you're going to need it.

Archived