Brewer Fanatic

When is the right time to sit Kendall??

Weirdos19

I really believe the Brewers need to put Kendall on the bench and give Rivera an audition. Let him play five times a week. He cannot be any worse than Kendall has been lately. I would go even further and say maybe Salome should get the other game or two every week.

Last year we could say Kendall was good for the staff and threw the ball well. He has been terrible throwing this year, and our staff isn't exactly lighting the world on fire. Not saying that's his fault, but it can't get much worse.

A lot of us have been asking this question for awhile now and we should all just accept the fact that Kendall won't be sitting on the bench for an extended period of time. I'm hoping Salome gets some starts in September if we are out of the race, but I'm not holding my breath on that one.

The one redeeming quality that Kendall has been touted for is his ability to call a game. Well, that ability certainly hasn't helped all that much this year. Whether that is Kendall's fault or not is in the eye of the beholder but the pitching staff has been absolutely atrocious. Mike Rivera has absolutely no upside so they may as well stick Salome in there whether he throws down the wrong amount of fingers or not. The pitcher still has the initiative to shake him off. But it doesn't really matter what they throw when they throw it right down Wisconsin Ave.

It is really funny that this came out tonight after an awful game by kendall.

I didn't want to pile on, but I can't resist. Having Kendall out there right now is totally counterproductive. It does not matter how he "calls" a game at this point now. Time to look to the future and I believe Kendall officially is done in Milwaukee after this year. I can guarentee in September that he will not start more than ten games if that. Until then, he will still be put out there to suck 5 games a week.

I can guarentee in September that he will not start more than ten games if that.

I bet he continues to start 4 out of every 5 games for the remainder of the season, and probably next year as well. I keep waiting for Brewers management to realize he stinks, but they never will.

Sit? Forget sit, Kendall should be released now. Bring up Salome (who's been hot lately) and let him split time with Rivera. Maybe use McGehee a game or two behind the plate. Promote Lucroy to AAA.

But there is absolutely no reason to have Jason Kendall on the roster. He brings nothing to the table. All the games he's played the last two years have taken their toll and shortened his career. He's done, put the fork in him.

If we had a backup who was definitely better, I say sit him. However, Rivera isn't exactly good either.
How can we possibly tell that given the amount of playing time he gets? I agree with JohnBriggs, cut bait on Kendall and bring up Salome to split time with Rivera. Kendall is borderline useless at this point, and it won't take much cash to just leave him to pasture.

Some fun facts about Jason Kendall:

- He has the worst caught stealing % among qualified NL catchers

- He has the worst catcher ERA among qualified NL catchers

- He has the second worst OPS among 160 qualified MLB hitters

- He has the worst SLG% among qualified MLB hitters

- He is older than dirt, and can barely get the ball out of the infield

I really thought when Yost was shown the door, this crap with Kendall playing everyday would end. Wishful thinking I guess. If he gets brought back again next year I think I'll immidiately begin projectile vomitting. He does not have one redeeming quality at this point. I just don't understand...

I know everyone is salivating for Salome and LuCroy, but I don't get the sense this season would be the right point to call them up (at least until September). That said, there's no reason Rivera shouldn't be starting at least twice a week at this point. What is frustrating is Macha said he thought Kendall played too much last year, and he's been playing him as much as Yost did.
The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

It's no longer not even a question of the Brewers being in it or not in it.

If you believe the Brewers are in it, then how is Kendall their best option?

If (as most do) you believe the Brewers are out of it, then what are you doing playing (or keeping around) a 35 year old catcher who's skills have diminished to almost nothing and who is not likely to be back next year?

Invader3K, it's not that everyone is salivating for Salome or Lucroy, it's just that a guy hitting .289/.338/.418 in AAA is better going forward than a 35 year old hitting .228/.315/.277 with diminished defensive skills as well. We don't know if Salome is ready to take over in 2010, but we do know he's likely better right now than Kendall and he should be up here right now sharing time with Rivera who could be back another year as a backup.

To answer the question in the title, every day.

It's two weeks until September. Give one of our Catchers of the Future a cup of coffee, and start him every day as an extended try out for next year. Until then, though, it'll be six days a week.

As the most significant Brewer posting site there is, this board seems to be unanimous on this (not sure I have ever seen that, but there aren't that many posts here yet). How can this board be unanimous on this subject, while the team leaders (Macha/Melvin) still turn a blind eye? This is what alienates fan bases and leads to attendance declines. Fans don't like to continually beat their heads against walls watching the same players suck (Hardy too) night in and night out. Different players might suck just as much, but at least it will show the fanbase that sucking for as hard and long as someone like Kendall has won't be tolerated.

I have almost completely lost interest until the September call-ups, and until I start seeing Hardy and Kendall not in the lineup I will find something else to do during that 3 hours.

I think Hardy can be explained in that they are desperately hoping he will get hot and increase his future trade value a bit. Also, Counsell cannot start every day at short, due to his knees, and they probably don't want to call up Escobar yet. That is at least tolerable.

Kendall is a free agent after this year, and will hopefully not be back again. There's no good reason for him to be starting this much. None.

The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

To answer the question in the title, every day.

It's two weeks until September. Give one of our Catchers of the Future a cup of coffee, and start him every day as an extended try out for next year. Until then, though, it'll be six days a week.

What's magical about September? So Kendall can keep a roster spot all year? What benefit does that have?

How can this board be unanimous on this subject, while the team leaders (Macha/Melvin) still turn a blind eye?

I am beginning to think Macha and Melvin are dipwads.

Honestly though, I think the Brewers in 2009 are toast. I don't think Rivera is a substantial upgrade either (but I do think he should get more PT.), so why waste service time for Salome and LuCroy while we are hoping to win 80 games?

Maybe if we keep playing Kendall he will finally break, and then not be a temptation for 2010.

Maybe if we keep playing Kendall he will finally break, and then not be a temptation for 2010.

If Kendall is brought back for 2010, I may have to take a one season baseball sabbatical. I could never abandon the Brewers for another team, so the only other way to keep my sanity would be to pretend its not happening.

Ken Macha is making me realize that being an MLB manager is easier than Ned Yost made it look.

Archived