Brewer Fanatic

2009-08-11 Padres (Richard) at Milwaukee (Looper) : 7:05 PM CT [Brewers lose, 13-6]

Well, without that 6-run inning by the Padres, the Brewers would've only lost 7-6.

At this rate I'll be pretty surprised if Looper's option is picked up. Come to think of it, didn't Ken Macha only sign a two year contract? It'll be interesting to see what happens this offseason if the ending gets even uglier. Given the injuries I don't think finishing a couple games under .500 would get him fired, but if they keep losing 2 of 3 the rest of the way, it might be something that starts getting talked about.

I'm not one that believes managers make much of a difference, but I'm sure the media will start talking about it soon if they haven't already.

"[baseball]'s a stupid game sometimes." -- Ryan Braun

Twitter

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I gotta be honest, I was quite confused when the Padres weren't plunking our guys with pitches in the 9th inning. Joe Torre (and probably Tony LaRussa) would be so disappointed in Bud Black for not playing ball "the right way" in a blow out.

(I'm not sure if that should be in blue or not, so I'll just leave it be.)

- - - - - - - - -

P.I.T.C.H. LEAGUE CHAMPION 1989, 1996, 1999, 2000, 2006, 2007, 2011 (finally won another one)

On the bright side, tickets are going to be cheap and plentiful the rest of the year for those of us who *gasp* actually go to games when the team isn't playing well, unlike the new "fans" the team has gotten since '07.
I apologize that some of us can't go to more than a game or two a year.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

I'm taking this year harder than 2007, and 2007 was rough. This year, it's just that these humiliating blow-outs keep piling up. I'm upset with myself because the writing has been on the wall, I should be over it and back to simply enjoying the game, but I'm not.

Also, I'm a fairly committed fan, but I have no problem with the casual fan who comes when they are winning. I, like most people, only have limited money for 'fun,' and watching this team lately hasn't been much fun. I happen to simply enjoy being at a game (any game really), but it's less fun when your team is winning twice a week (in a good week!).

You may run like Mays...

Tons of public money for a stadium, promises that we'd be competitive, years and years of terrible finishes that yielded top draft picks, a higher payroll with lots of cheap talent for DM to work with ..... and it looks like we've peaked with an 83-79 season followed by a 90-win season that was entirely due to riding a rented mule that pitched out of his mind for two months. Ouch.

This kind of sums up my current feelings. If, a couple years from now, we look back and see that 90 win season with one playoff game win as the big highlight, I'll be pretty disappointed. Don't get me wrong, I wouldn't trade last season for anything, but I thought that was going to be a turning point for this franchise. I really thought we could be competitive again this year. I knew the pitching rotation was questionable, but assumed Melvin would get some help. That did not happen, and next season's outlook is not looking very promising right now.

You can't blame the injuries either, in my mind. The Cubs, Cards, etc. have all dealt with some significant injuries and it hasn't seemed to hamper them too much. Meanwhile the Crew is making the Padres and Nationals look like world beaters. Sad.

The one thing that keeps hope alive for me is that I have to believe Mark Attanasio wants to field a winner again. I hope this off-season brings significant changes to the Brewers, one way or another.

The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

Archived