Brewer Fanatic

Mench To Phillies?

From Philly.com . . .

Pressed close to the wall, Pat Gillick and Ruben Amaro are huddled with Brewers GM Doug Melvin and assistant GM Gord Ash...

There is no doubt that the Brewers are ready to deal. They are dangling two outfielders, Kevin Mench and Geoff Jenkins. They are looking for pitching in return. There have been indications that, if the Phillies can pick up another starter elsewhere, Jon Lieber could be available.

A few hours later, though, Melvin is frustrated. Teams keep telling him that they are on hold to see if another deal comes through and then will get back to the Brewers. While things can always change quickly, Melvin is becoming resigned to going home without making a move.

"I'm not even wasting my time meeting with teams," he grumbled. "I just call to see if we have anything to talk about. Teams we've been talking to, one in particular, say they have to do other things first."

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Is it wrong to hope that the Phillies can't trade for a starter, then?

While I'm completely convinced that there'll be more involved with the trade, the initial reports are less than good.

Though last year at this time we were talking about getting Shea Hillenbrand for Overbay.....

I'd be ok with getting Lieber in here for Mench...it's for one year, and I wouldn't be surprised if he put up an acceptable ERA and WHIP...maybe not, but he's no more of a gamble than Mench or Turnbow would be.

If we give Mench and Turnbow, the money isn't much of an issue, but then I want something else in the deal too, there needs to be a young player or something.

I keep seeing that they might be williing to put Gavin Floyd in a deal for Garcia. I'd be more than willing to give up Capellan and Mench for Lieber and Floyd even if we have to pick up all of Lieber's salary. I don't see Gillick willing to give him up in that package though. Who would we have to include in order for them to put him in?

latest...

www.rotoworld.com/content/Home_MLB.aspx

The Philadelphia Inquirer says a deal sending Jon Lieber to Milwaukee for Kevin Mench and Derrick Turnbow is in place, pending the result of the Phillies' negotiations with the White Sox.

rotoworld comment:

The Phillies might not make the trade unless they can get Freddy Garcia from the White Sox, probably using Aaron Rowand and Gavin Floyd. It's unclear whether that will work, and White Sox manager Ozzie Guillen isn't wild about the idea. "We have a center fielder right now," Guillen said. "I won't trade one of my pitchers one-for-one for Rowand right now. He's a good player, but we're not desperate for a center fielder. I love Aaron, but we need more."

The Philadelphia Inquirer says a deal sending Jon Lieber to Milwaukee for Kevin Mench and Derrick Turnbow is in place, pending the result of the Phillies' negotiations with the White Sox.

We should get more than Lieber if we are giving up those to players.

It appears as though Melvin was telling the truth when he said the Brewers didn't have a deal in place with the Phillies, well unless you consider trading for the rule 5 pick, which probably just came up yesterday. Anyway, it appears as though the Phillies weren't the team that the Brewers were waiting for, pending that team making another trade. The following is from the Phillies Web site,

"Lieber may still go in a deal, but not for a hitter. The rumor with Milwaukee (Lieber/Mench/Turnbow) never got too far anyway, though it could be revisited for just Turnbow. It turns out Milwaukee is going to draft a player in the Rule 5 draft and deal him to the Phillies. A deal with Washington for Church can't happen now that the Nationals asked Gonzalez.

The Cardinals, Rangers and Brewers could be players for Lieber, and all are flush with relievers."

And:

"Now, Lieber can be dangled, and he has drawn interest from Milwaukee, St. Louis and Texas, all of whom are flush with relievers. The Phillies had discussed dealing Lieber to Milwaukee for a package that included Kevin Mench and reliever Derrick Turnbow, but now they can focus on possibly getting two relievers.

"We discussed a lot of scenarios over the past few days," Arbuckle said. "There was a lot of presumption [that Rowand had to be in the deal]. That was never a big element about this. What was out there was not accurate. What's important now is that we have a lot of options now. I think everyone sees what the pitching market is. And with an extra starter, we can do some things."

philadelphia.phillies.mlb...p&c_id=phi

philadelphia.phillies.mlb...p&c_id=phi

Archived