Brewer Fanatic

Mench To Phillies?

Lieber career:

INN GS W L S K BB HA ERA WHIP

2073.1 314 126 115 2 1472 394 2238 4.259 1.270

Garcia career:

INN GS W L S K BB HA ERA WHIP

1643.2 251 116 71 0 1202 529 1584 4.009 1.286

both are in the last years of thier contracts, lieber is $7mil, garcia is $10 mil. Garcia is 30 years old, Lieber is 36. Most of this is close to a push I feel. Garcia Ks more, but walks more too. I would probably take Garcia however, just because he has pitched at least 200 innings in each of his last 6 seasons, while Lieber has accomplished that feat only once in the last four seasons. Jon Lieber 6 years ago is just about identical in terms of the quality of pitcher to what Garcia is right now. Both are solid middle of the rotation guys, just Garcia will eat more innings. I guess Id be pretty happy to have either if all we have to give up is Mench (or even Miller) and maybe eat a few dollars. Can we afford to eat those dollars without trading Jenkins? I doubt it, so a Hart/Hall/Gross-righty platoon mate could be very possible. Get a solid bullpen arm for Jenks, and trade Turnbow for what should be an easy to find righty platoon corner outfielder and I think were golden.

-Don

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The latest from MLB.COM, basically what was being reported/speculated by Tom Haudricourt.

"The Phillies and Brewers are believed to be mulling a trade involving pitcher Jon Lieber and Brewers outfielder Kevin Mench."

Wasn't sure where to put this, but Ken Rosenthal latest report has this tibit about the Brewers,

"The Brewers' outfielder most in demand is Kevin Mench; about eight teams have expressed trade interest. Brewers reliever Derrick Turnbow also is getting play, and he's "highly available" according to rival executive."

yfinn, I think they separate the deals, unless you're talking about a bonafide starter (ie Freddy Garcia) or a proven position player (ie Rowand). Otherwise, it sounds like the Crew has suprisingly become a player in the Jason Schmidt race, which would be much preferable, IMO.

Let's not forget one factor that reduces Garcia's trade value for the Brewers ---

He's a FA after 2007, and already making $10 mil/year. It's nice to trade guys, to be sure, but it's also nice to have someone around for not just a 1/2 season stop.

I'd take Lieber over Garcia for that reason as well -- at worst, Lieber's a RH Doug Davis (w/o all those BBs), and at best he's a solid 3, 4, or 5 guy who could probably be re-signed to a one or two year deal next offseason at roughly $6 mil per year

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

Sounds like opposing GM's like him better than BF.net

I'm really not surprised. Mench tanked here, but this has been a productive player, and he's not old yet.

I'm sure there are teams he could help, just within reason, he's solid, not spectacular....and he won't cost 30 million.

The Brewers' outfielder most in demand is Kevin Mench; about eight teams have expressed trade interest.

They're either basing their assessments off of track record rather than a small sample in Milwaukee, or they're hoping his time here was awful enough to prompt Milwaukee to give him away for a Noochie Varner.

Latest on Mench to Philly from rotoworld...

Jose Capellan reportedly could be included along with Kevin Mench in the rumored deal that would sent Jon Lieber to the Brewers.

They think Capellan would be too much of a throw in. On a team searching for relief help, I would agree.

Ugh. As shaky as Capellan may have been I'd hate to give him and Mench for Lieber if there is nothing else coming back from Philly. How about just Mench for Lieber straight up if we were going to do that deal.

Rowand does nothing for me. He wouldn't play over Gabe Gross in my book.

Rowand reminds me of Brady with a better glove.

Not real excited with that unless we can do Rowand/Jenks to Chicago for Garcia or Buehrle. For some reason the ChiSox want Rowand back.

Lieber is in decline and going to be age 37 next year. Please don't make this trade Doug Melvin. His pitching runs above average was -4 in 2006. I'm willing to believe that Carlos Villaneuva can do better than that next year without giving up anything and adding payroll. Please make this talk go away. I pray to the trade gods to not let this happen. Amen.

I'm expecting a Rowand/Lieber for Mench/Capellan deal for some reason....

yeah I think that would be the deal that could happen. but it seems we might have to add just a little something (Hendrickson?) to make it work. though maybe not for just one year of Lieber...

Quote:
Capellan plus Mench for one year of Leiber sounds foolish, to me... with Turnbow shakey, and Cordero with us just one year, I see Capellan as a potential closer of the future

I agree that this seems like way too much, not just because of the contract situations and our bullpen search, but also because Lieber just isn't that exciting, per the stats on the previous page.

I don't see Capellan getting moved (Kiss of Death?), but this also could be one of those DM trying to up TBow's value lipservice move by seeming willing to part with Latin Cappy and being encouraged to hold TBow.

Quote:
I'm expecting a Rowand/Lieber for Mench/Capellan deal for some reason....

That would work for me in a heart beat, though I probably inflate Rowand's value from his "tough guy" on the field reputation.

Gavin Floyd?

I really do like Capellan too. I think he could be our future closer with that sick slider of his.

maybe Aquino or Sarfate are more likely to be dealt, but moving Aquino or Sarfate wouldn't net us as much as Capellan would, am I correct?

I have no problem including Capellan in a deal if it nets us someone better than a mediocre 37 year old pitcher. Mench for Lieber might not be a bad deal but no way do we include Capellan.
This is Jack Burton in the Pork Chop Express, and I'm talkin' to whoever's listenin' out there.

Archived